Search 69,459 Camino Questions

starting Aug 27th, 2022, Oviedo - Primitivo

Jenine

Time of past OR future Camino
C Frances Sep '18
C Norte Sep '21
C Portugues '22
Hola Peregrinos!
Anyone have any tips for the Primitivo? Any "must see/do" advice or Restaurants/Towns not to miss? Places to avoid if any?
Has anyone walked from Aviles to Oviedo? Is it worth adding a day to walk it or would it be better to bus it and spend the time in Oviedo instead?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
:)
Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola Peregrinos!
Anyone have any tips for the Primitivo? Any "must see/do" advice or Restaurants/Towns not to miss? Places to avoid if any?
Has anyone walked from Aviles to Oviedo? Is it worth adding a day to walk it or would it be better to bus it and spend the time in Oviedo instead?
Buen Camino!
If you are going to walk from the Norte to Oviedo, the marked split is a few kms after Villaviciosa, so you do not go into Avilés. Avilés is one of those towns that has really done a lot of redevelopment of its historic downtown core and it is really pleasant. The unpleasant part is the stretch from Gijón to Avilés, which you will avoid if you head southwest at Villaviciosa, where you'll go straight into Oviedo to start the Primitivo.

Hola Peregrinos!
Buen Camino!

There's not a lot of distraction once you're on the Primitivo, aside from the excursion to Naranco, or the museum of Roman stuff at Castro (a few hundred m off the trail). Most pueblos give you very little choice for restaurants, so just ask locally in most cases-- in Villaviciosa I liked the parilla at Plaza Eccohomo. I would recommend the bus to Oviedo rather than the walk-- Oviedo has an interesting cathedral with an exceptional relic (the Sudarium), and the Museum of Fine Arts of Asturias on C/Santa Ana has some real treasures of Spanish art, and is an enjoyable experience.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, Oviedo itself has much to see.
Also:-
Grandas de Salime has/had an ethnological museum - you would need to check if it is still open.
Castro is just 6kms from Grandas so a short day if wanting to visit the museum there.
Lugo is worth an extra day (or more) with its Roman walls, Roman baths and the various museums as well as the cathedral there.
Buen Camino

If you are going to walk from the Norte to Oviedo, the marked split is a few kms after Villaviciosa, so you do not go into Avilés. Avilés is one of those towns that has really done a lot of redevelopment of its historic downtown core and it is really pleasant. The unpleasant part is the stretch from Gijón to Avilés, which you will avoid if you head southwest at Villaviciosa, where you'll go straight into Oviedo to start the Primitivo.
Thank you for your reply. I walked the Norte in 2020 from Bordeaux, France along the coast to Ribadeo. Due to time constraints I am starting in Oviedo this time but flying into Asturias at night so I was considering spending the night closer to the airport in Aviles and walking in the morning. If it is an unpleasant walk then I might consider just taking a quick bus ride and spending the day in Oviedo. Thanks though :)

There's not a lot of distraction once you're on the Primitivo, aside from the excursion to Naranco, or the museum of Roman stuff at Castro (a few hundred m off the trail). Most pueblos give you very little choice for restaurants, so just ask locally in most cases-- in Villaviciosa I liked the parilla at Plaza Eccohomo. I would recommend the bus to Oviedo rather than the walk-- Oviedo has an interesting cathedral with an exceptional relic (the Sudarium), and the Museum of Fine Arts of Asturias on C/Santa Ana has some real treasures of Spanish art, and is an enjoyable experience.
That sounds great.... I think a day in Oviedo to decompress from airport stress before walking is the best option...thanks for the tips!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, Oviedo itself has much to see.
Also:-
Grandas de Salime has/had an ethnological museum - you would need to check if it is still open.
Castro is just 6kms from Grandas so a short day if wanting to visit the museum there.
Lugo is worth an extra day (or more) with its Roman walls, Roman baths and the various museums as well as the cathedral there.
Buen Camino
This is very helpful. Thank you!! :)

Thank you for your reply. I walked the Norte in 2020 from Bordeaux, France along the coast to Ribadeo. Due to time constraints I am starting in Oviedo this time but flying into Asturias at night so I was considering spending the night closer to the airport in Aviles and walking in the morning. If it is an unpleasant walk then I might consider just taking a quick bus ride and spending the day in Oviedo. Thanks though :)
It’s a pleasant walk from Avilés to Oviedo, some road walking but not too much. Nothing particularly spetacular, but nice. And leaving Avilés in the direction of Oviedo will not take you through all the industrial stuff to Avilés’ east. Very few people walk this way, I met one other person. And you will be walking “backwards” against the arrows, and I don’t know if that will require a GPS or not.

If I had a choice between walking from Avilés to Oviedo and spending a full day in Oviedo, I’d definitely go for the day in Oviedo. If you like old churches, you could do some walking and head up to the Naranco sites (World Heritage) for a visit to two 9th century very beautiful places. https://www.santamariadelnaranco.es/

The city of Oviedo is IMO, one of the prettiest small cities in Spain. Beautiful old historic core, sophisticated 19th century neighborhoods, lots of statues all over the place, gorgeous parks (The Parque de Invierno is really beautiful, on the edge of town). Lively atmosphere and lots of opportunities to drink sidra. Even if you don’t like it, the atmosphere is great and it’s fun to watch the wait staff doing those fancy pourings over their shoulders.

There is good bus service to both Avilés and Oviedo from the airpport. If you’re not going to walk from Avilés, I would consider getting the bus directly to Oviedo from the airport, then you are there the night before and have the whole next day to enjoy it.

No bad choices here, that’s for sure.

Plan to overnight in Bodenaya if you can make a reservation at David's albergue 645888984. Yes, the palace/churches at Naranco will certainly set you in a delightful walking mood. (But don't miss the Cathedral in Oviedo.) Cut your toenails way back to the quick. There are several very steep descents. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Unpleasant is one word for it! It is lucky I have perfected my ability to completely space out when I am walking. It really came in handy in that stretch of the Norte. I took a rest day in Gijon that was much needed. I should have taken it in Aviles.

It’s a pleasant walk from Avilés to Oviedo, some road walking but not too much. Nothing particularly spetacular, but nice. And leaving Avilés in the direction of Oviedo will not take you through all the industrial stuff to Avilés’ east. Very few people walk this way, I met one other person. And you will be walking “backwards” against the arrows, and I don’t know if that will require a GPS or not.

If I had a choice between walking from Avilés to Oviedo and spending a full day in Oviedo, I’d definitely go for the day in Oviedo. If you like old churches, you could do some walking and head up to the Naranco sites (World Heritage) for a visit to two 9th century very beautiful places. https://www.santamariadelnaranco.es/

The city of Oviedo is IMO, one of the prettiest small cities in Spain. Beautiful old historic core, sophisticated 19th century neighborhoods, lots of statues all over the place, gorgeous parks (The Parque de Invierno is really beautiful, on the edge of town). Lively atmosphere and lots of opportunities to drink sidra. Even if you don’t like it, the atmosphere is great and it’s fu to watch the wait staff doing those fancy pourings over their shoulders.

There is good bus service to both Avilés and Oviedo from the airpport. If you’re not going to walk from Avilés, I would consider getting the bus directly to Oviedo from the airport, then you are there the night before and have the whole next day to enjoy it.

No bad choices here, that’s for sure.
Excellent. I'm sold on the day in Oviedo. Thank you so much!!!

Unpleasant is one word for it! It is lucky I have perfected my ability to completely space out when I am walking. It really came in handy in that stretch of the Norte. I took a rest day in Gijon that was much needed. I should have taken it in Aviles.
But as @peregrina2000 said, the walk between Avilés and Oviedo is very different from the walk between Gijón and Avilés.

I've walked from Oviedo to Avilés and it was a pleasant day with no other pilgrims on the way.

But yeah, if my time were limited I'd rather spend the day in Oviedo.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But as @peregrina2000 said, the walk between Avilés and Oviedo is very different from the walk between Gijón and Avilés.

I've walked from Oviedo to Avilés and it was a pleasant day with no other pilgrims on the way.

But yeah, if my time were limited I'd rather spend the day in Oviedo.
I have never walked that way so I leave the plusses of that walk to you and others who have done the Primitivo. All I can say is that I wasn't big on GIjon as a rest day and I have heard Oviedo is a nice town.

Excellent. I'm sold on the day in Oviedo. Thank you so much!!!
Oviedo is a beautiful city with a lot of Art Nouveau (Secession) and Deco architecture and sculpture throughout the town. Take some time just to wander its streets. If you want to visit the three Visigothic churches in and outside of Oviedo (which I would recommend as they are some of the oldest churches on the Camino, if not the oldest, and are more interesting than the Cathedral, which is just another Spanish cathedral) be aware that they are closed from about 12pm-4pm and are only open for guided tours - I made the mistake of trying to visit them in the afternoon and was pretty frustrated.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
… be aware that they are closed from about 12pm-4pm and are only open for guided tours - I made the mistake of trying to visit them in the afternoon and was pretty frustrated.

The Naranco sites are open in the afternoon in summer Tuesday through Saturday.

Summer Schedule
1 April to 30 September.
Tuesday through Saturday, 9:30 - 1:00 and 3:30-7 pm.
Sunday and Monday 9:30 -1:00 pm.

Winter Schedule
1 October to 31 March
Tuesday through Saturday, 10 - 2:30 p.m.
Sunday and Monday, 10 - 12:30

I think the third site you are referring to is San Julián de los Prados, much closer to the city center and also well worth a visit.

The schedule for visiting San Julián is much more detailed, and even though it’s in Spanish, it’s pretty easy to understand.

The Naranco sites are open in the afternoon in summer Tuesday through Saturday.

Summer Schedule
1 April to 30 September.
Tuesday through Saturday, 9:30 - 1:00 and 3:30-7 pm.
Sunday and Monday 9:30 -1:00 pm.

Winter Schedule
1 October to 31 March
Tuesday through Saturday, 10 - 2:30 p.m.
Sunday and Monday, 10 - 12:30

I think the third site you are referring to is San Julián de los Prados, much closer to the city center and also well worth a visit.

The schedule for visiting San Julián is much more detailed, and even though it’s in Spanish, it’s pretty easy to understand.

All I know is that I was there in July 2021, I got to San Julian around noon and it was closed until around 4, and then I walked up to the other two churches, and by the time I got there, they were "open" but they weren't allowing people in because you had to go with a group that only left every half hour or hour, and I was too late for the last one before the lunch break. I actually hung around waiting for them to open, which might have been at 3:30, but at that time they still weren't letting people in because that was just the time the caretakers showed up, the tour didn't start until a half hour later and I couldn't wait that long.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back