• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting camino 5th March

Cesnouf

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hi! I’ll be starting the Camino 5th March from St-Jean-pied-De-port. Anyone else walking? What’s the best way to contact people on the walk to know about weather conditions?
THAnks,
CLaudia

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Welcome to the forum @Cesnouf and Buen Camino!

Immediately you get to St Jean Pied de Port go to the Pilgrims Office at 39 Rue de la Citadelle in the old part of town, up the hill towards the ramparts. It is pretty easy to find - St Jean is a small town.

The Pilgrims Office is the place to get information on the weather, the route conditions, and available accommodation. You can also pick up a credential if you do not have one, get your first stamp, and meet up with other pilgrims.

It sounds like the weather is very cold at the moment but as the Route Napoleon does not open until the end of March, you will be walking through Valcarlos anyway. Probably have to stick to the road - there is a track that runs beside the road and dips in and out of the beech forest, but it would be dangerous in snow or heavy rain.

Take a luminous mesh safety vest! They are really lightweight, and although the traffic on the road is light there are spots where the road is narrow and you need to be visible. A safety vest could be a lifesaver. I'd also stick some of the luminous tape on my backpack.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi! I’ll be starting the Camino 5th March from St-Jean-pied-De-port. Anyone else walking? What’s the best way to contact people on the walk to know about weather conditions?
THAnks,
CLaudia
Wish you a wonderfull journey Claudia .

Welcome to the forum @Cesnouf and Buen Camino!

Immediately you get to St Jean Pied de Port go to the Pilgrims Office at 39 Rue de la Citadelle in the old part of town, up the hill towards the ramparts. It is pretty easy to find - St Jean is a small town.

The Pilgrims Office is the place to get information on the weather, the route conditions, and available accommodation. You can also pick up a credential if you do not have one, get your first stamp, and meet up with other pilgrims.

It sounds like the weather is very cold at the moment but as the Route Napoleon does not open until the end of March, you will be walking through Valcarlos anyway. Probably have to stick to the road - there is a track that runs beside the road and dips in and out of the beach forest, but it would be dangerous in snow or heavy rain.

Take a luminous mesh safety vest! They are really lightweight, and although the traffic on the road is light there are spots where the road is narrow and you need to be visible. A safety vest could be a lifesaver. I'd also stick some of the luminous tape on my backpack.
Thank you Kanga- this is great info and very helpful! In Bilbao tonight and headed to SJPDP tomorrow- can’t wait!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am starting on the 5th as well. I arrive in St. Jean on Sunday and plan to head out on Monday. I’m staying in a hotel on Sunday night— my last luxury! I leave the U.S. tomorrow (Saturday) and fly into Paris, then Biarritz, and will take the train to St. Jean. I hope our paths will cross. Buen Camino!

THAnks,
CLaudia
My friend and I are starting on March 9th from Ponferrada. BuenCamino!

THAnks,
CLaudia
Buen Camino, Claudia. Kanga has given you the best start in answer to your question, and the rest you will get en route. Also, while walking, plenty forum members will be happy to respond to any more questions, so check in....

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And now leave SJPDP on Wednesday. As I sit in Atlanta awaiting a later flight that delays me another day, I am remembering the Wise Ones who say the Camino provides exactly what we need. So, I’m trusting this is “exactly what I need”! Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back