• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Camino del Norte in two days. Advice needed

Patchnomad

World nomad
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (September 2018)
Hi everyone. I am another one of those "last minute, winging it" type of pilgrims. I have a flight to Barcelona in two days. Could anyone help me with a few questions?

Where's the best place to start the camino del Norte? I've heard Irún among other places. Can you pick up your pilgrim credentials there?

What's the best way to get from Barcelona to Irún (or other starting places)?

Where can I buy a guidebook for Norte?

Also I've heard it's best to spend a day or two resting after your flight to adjust to the time zone, so I'm looking for cheap places to stay in barcelona as well as some must see tourist attractions.

Thank you all for your help. Feel free to fire any other tips at me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I started the Norte in Irun. Many people started in San Sebastian and Bilbao. If you start in Bilbao you will miss most of the hardest and hilliest days. You can use Rome2Rio.com to find transportation options.
You can use Gronze.com to plan stages, find albergues, etc.
I used the Editorial Buen Camino app for the Norte. It worked great. It has offline mapping, and you can always see where you are on the route, or how to get back on it if you stray. It also shows and describes the different alternate routes that you can take, along with listing albergues. The website is in Spanish, but you choose your own language for the app. The app is free, but each guide costs a few Euros/dollars.

I started in Irún but I think it depends on factors that only you can answer....how much time do you have?....how much is your budget? ....do you want to walk with more pilgrims? (The Norte thins out after Basque Country)....I don’t know where to get a credential since I got mine in Lourdes.....having walked it a couple of months ago, I personally would not want to miss Irún to San Sabastian....or Irún to Bilbao ....but that’s because I loved all Basque Country in general.....having said that, I don’t think you will be disappointed if you start in either Irún, Bilbao, or San Sabastian......or any other number of places...not sure about the transportation....you probably can fly or catch a train from Barcelona to San Sabastian/Irún....as for a guide, Gronze is good place to start.....Wise Pilgrim....go to the tourist office in San Sabastian....if I remember correctly, they sell guide books there.....or ask where you can purchase a guide book...you can do the same if you start in Bilbao....Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you travel overland to Irun, you'll pass through Zaragoza and Pamplona. Seeing as the train journey is around 7 hours, and the bus journey even longer than that, I'd recommend breaking the journey into two stages. Both Zaragoza and Pamplona are worth a visit!

Alternatively: if money's no object, you could fly to San Sebastian or Biarritz. But if you're on a tight budget, then you could find a ride on blablacar, the ride-sharing site. Irun is not exactly a major destination, but you're bound to find a lift to San Sebastian over the next few days.

Hi everyone. I am another one of those "last minute, winging it" type of pilgrims. I have a flight to Barcelona in two days. Could anyone help me with a few questions?

Where's the best place to start the camino del Norte? I've heard Irún among other places. Can you pick up your pilgrim credentials there?

Also I've heard it's best to spend a day or two resting after your flight to adjust to the time zone, so I'm looking for cheap places to stay in barcelona as well as some must see tourist attractions.

Hi @Patchnomad
From my experience in 2014 starting Norte from a flight into Barcelona from Oz.
I’d been to Barcelona before but want another shorter look so chose that entry point for a day jet lag recovery.
Can you grab a day or so to look around this city, as you mentioned you may want to get over jet lag too. . Even a free day helps.

I chose at that time to catch train to Irun from Barcelona so I could use the day looking at Spanish countryside.. I booked in advance though; but you may find last minute train fares more expensive.
I chose a hotel(recommended way back on this forum /can’t recall the name but it was a few minutes from Barcelona Sants station (where the train departs ) no rush on morning of departure to catch it.
There were heaps of pilgrims on the train but approx 90% got off at Pamplona to walk the CF. Francés.

I walked from Irún station to the municipal albergue .. a lot of information on the gronze link in @trecile s. post above.
You can also download maps.me app while at home or in wifi zone (app is free) and it works offline which is the bonus. Just limit having it open too long or running in background as it still uses your battery
There is also a resource on this forum for tracks for all caminos in Spain. This can overlay in maps.me.
Once this downloading is on your phone - any use - to follow trail or map of the area; can be done offline. I would usually keep my phone setting on aeroplane mode - you can still use it and see everything you need. It has accommodation options in it too. You would though need to be in internet mode if you wanted to connect to any of these places to reserve of course. I didn’t reserve anywhere in the Camino del Norte.
Since then I have also purchased the Wise Pilgrim app for all Spanish caminos.
You won’t find it hard to navigate this camino without maps tho, truly ! Arrows or shells are there to do their stuff and plenty of people around to ask or watch.

The credencial I bought from the municipal albergue in Irun. Just ask hospitaleros. They will help you get what you need if they don’t have any left.
It’s a bit late now to buy one from Ivars shop / this forum but it’s a good place to order for those who have the time. If you feel you will be back again ., you can also buy one in Santiago from the pilgrim office., when you get to the desk for your your Compostela..

I started my Norte on sept 1. I did find it hot especially the uphills. I admit coming a bit unprepared for the ups and downs in the first week but looking back it wasn’t too bad.
I try to walk in cooler temps nowadays.

Good luck and Buen Camino
Annie

Last edited:
I started in San Sabastian and loved it as it was much easier to get to than Irun, which I'd been reading was not particularly interesting or special anyway. I know I missed a day or two of great views by doing that, but I got my fill along the way in many other beautiful places. I spent an extra day in San Sabastian touring around, eating tapas and climbing the big hill to the fort. Such amazing views looking back on the city and coastline below!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

If you decide to start in Bilbao, Vueling has flights several times each day for $35 or so....

hi,

I am travelling to Irun to start my Camino del Norte on saturday, maybe we will meet.

Casa Gracia is a great place to stay in Barcelona, if you deside to stay there for a couple of days. It is only a short walk from the big square, where the busses from the airport stops. You can find it on hostelworld.com

Buen Camino

I’ve found some great deals using air bnb when I’ve had to stop over due to flight timings or if staying in a place for a couple of days.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked del Norte in May 2016; started in San Sebastián, which was a great little city (Old Town) as long as I didn’t get lost. After I lost my guide, which I named The Crappy, I downloaded Wise Pilgrim Guide on my phone. It has altitude, distance, allergies, booking.com link - everything I needed. In English.
Buen Camino!

Thanks for the very informative replies everyone! It has helped a lot.

I've come up with two more questions:

- rain gear. I've got a lightweight rain jacket which will double as a warmth layer, and a disposable poncho. Also some garbage bags to cover my pack if needed. Will this be sufficient?

- are trecking poles necessary on the camino del Norte?

Thanks again!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

- rain gear. I've got a lightweight rain jacket which will double as a warmth layer, and a disposable poncho. Also some garbage bags to cover my pack if needed. Will this be sufficient?

Thanks again!!
Yes to trekking poles!

Trekking poles a must for me....take 20 to 25% of weight off my aging knees. You can buy an inexpensive pack rain cover that will work better than garbage bags in Spain if you can't find one before you leave.

I have only been on the Norte, and there I found the shops few and far between the few “cities“. There are several days that only go through villages. Be sure to have what you need, especially for rain. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I started the Norte in Irun. Many people started in San Sebastian and Bilbao. If you start in Bilbao you will miss most of the hardest and hilliest days. You can use Rome2Rio.com to find transportation options.
I used the Editorial Buen Camino app for the Norte. It worked great. It has offline mapping, and you can always see where you are on the route, or how to get back on it if you stray. It also shows and describes the different alternate routes that you can take, along with listing albergues. The website is in Spanish, but you choose your own language for the app. The app is free, but each guide costs a few Euros/dollars.
Thank you for this reply. I'm starting from Bilbao on Wednesday and have the most recent publication of the Wise Pilgrim guide, which I don't like anywhere near as much as the Brierley I had for the Portuges. I've downloaded the app and it looks great, thanks!

We flew into Bilbao bussed to San Sebastián and tool commuter rail to Irun to start our Camino. Had an apartment that we rented in SS that we had for three nights. First night in SS then after walk from Irun and then after a rest day.

Loved the Basque Country between Irun and Santander. You should have a lovely walk from Bilbao.

Currently walking it. We began in Biarritz but crossed into Spain at Hondarribia. Made for the albergue just outside, Capitan Tximista. Claimed to be full when we got there although no sign of life. Walked back to Amute where San Francisco offered a well hidden but brilliant albergue. We got a a room for 2, en suite and breakfast for 30 euros! Wonderful. Yes you need poles. Take the Purgatorio Route from Guadalupe for the amazing views. We couldn't get into anywhere in San Sebastian so book ahead.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Curious to the experienced Walkers of the Norte is it possible to bike this route??

I started in San Sabastian and loved it as it was much easier to get to than Irun, which I'd been reading was not particularly interesting or special anyway. I know I missed a day or two of great views by doing that, but I got my fill along the way in many other beautiful places. I spent an extra day in San Sabastian touring around, eating tapas and climbing the big hill to the fort. Such amazing views looking back on the city and coastline below!
I, too, started in San Sebastian which is a great city. I spent about 3 days there before leaving and well worth it

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Curious to the experienced Walkers of the Norte is it possible to bike this route??
We saw several cyclists while doing our Norte the summer of 17, one of which struggled with staying on the same path as the Pilgrims on foot; especially the sections which feature long stretches on the beach or the hills leading one to the beach. They persevered and made it though. The ferrymen along the way didn't seem to have an issue with the bikes either.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thanks again!!
Yes yes yes to the poles. They do save your knees. Once with really wet slippery cobblestones, I don't thinkI could have negotiated the path without them. Ill be starting again at Castro-Urdiales on 18 Sept and who knows how far the trip will go as I unfortunately have very little time. It was too hard to resist the chance to return.
Buen Camino

Thanks again!!
Hi again @Patchnomad

Several days have passed since you began and I was wondering how you are you getting on?
Has it all become clear now and did you end up using poles.
Buen Camino
Annie

Too late to reply, but I took the night bus from Barcelona to Irun. Costs about 37 euros and travel time is about 7 and half hours. Bus company Vibasa has not the most comfortable buses, but was good to get used to nights in albergues. Bus station in Barcelona is right besides to train station on the right side, when you face the train station.
Walking poles are absolutely must. Only I advice to take some lessons, how to use them, before you start your Camino. Sorry to say so, but most folks use them as accessories. Due to my broken right knee (torn ligaments) just one and half before my Camino, I'd never completed it without poles.
Sorry, English is not my first language.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

The Buen Camino app shows alternatives for bikes. This morning we saw two Frenchmen trying to bike their way up the rocky and very muddy climb out of Guernica. They had battery assisted bikes. They pushed them up on a number of occasions, and laughed profusely when we kept catching up to them and overtaking them (their bikes were heavy...)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.