• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Camino Del Norte on Tuesday, 29th June 2021

• Thread starter Former member 95219
  • Start date
F

Former member 95219

Hi all, Firstly hope I am posting this in right place as doing via phone and I haven’t quite understood how the board works!

Anyway starting Norte in a few days. It will be my 3rd Camino after doing the Portuguesa (from Porto), and the Frances pretty much back to back last summer! So one day I hope to do a Camino in non COVID times!

Currently in super-hot Seville for the Euro 2020 football, sent my case to SDC via Correos, fly to Bilbao Monday, on to Irun, and off I go the following day. I don’t tend to do too much pre planning but I know that the Norte will be tougher logistically for things like accommodation so I will do what I can!

Anyway I will try and post each day with anything I think maybe useful and if anyone just in front of me has any advice, or anyone behind me has any questions please do not hesitate to ask!

I am reading through blogs and post for tips but if anyone want to post any ‘killer’ tips that would be most welcome!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I did the Camino del Norte from Bilbao to Oviedo in 2017. I then switched to the Primitivo to Santiago. And then to Muxia on the coast. You can read my blog posts about each stage here:
(Sorry the destinations are not listed in the index--I am working on changing that.)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi.I started mine in San Sebastian.I found the first few days hard.Zarautz is a great seaside town.Deba to Markina was the the longest and took roughly 7 hours.made a big mistake in taking too much water. My bag was heavy.
I would do it again.

My favorite albergues on the Del Norte:

Albergue De Peregrinos La Bilbaina in Santoña (across the bay from Laredo)
This is not such a great hostel in itself, but it is cheap and it overlooks the main plaza where lots of families (not tourists) congregate in the evenings. When I was there, the hospitalero gave the pilgrims a coupon for one Euro off the menu del dia in the cafe downstairs. It was a very good menu. Lots of great food in the town.

Albergue Piedad in Boo de Piélagos
Very comfortable and quiet.

Albergue Llanes Playa de Poo
This is not actually in the town of Llanes; it is in the village of Po west of Llanes. Be sure to go down to see the interesting beach. Breakfast is wonderful and includes homemade jam and eggs from their own chickens. Lovely and very welcoming hospitalero.

The pilgrims' albergue in Serdio is nice, but the food at Bar La Gloria was stupendous. If they have fabada, and you are not vegetarian, be sure to order it--best Fabada I had anywhere in Asturias.

First day our of Irun is easily the hardest on the del Norte. It just gets better and even more beautiful ever after. Order chili at the Yellow Deli in San Sebastian. In Irun learn and use a few Basque greetings. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My favorite albergues on the Del Norte:

Albergue De Peregrinos La Bilbaina in Santoña (across the bay from Laredo)
This is not such a great hostel in itself, but it is cheap and it overlooks the main plaza where lots of families (not tourists) congregate in the evenings. When I was there, the hospitalero gave the pilgrims a coupon for one Euro off the menu del dia in the cafe downstairs. It was a very good menu. Lots of great food in the town.

Albergue Piedad in Boo de Piélagos
Very comfortable and quiet.

Albergue Llanes Playa de Poo
This is not actually in the town of Llanes; it is in the village of Po west of Llanes. Be sure to go down to see the interesting beach. Breakfast is wonderful and includes homemade jam and eggs from their own chickens. Lovely and very welcoming hospitalero.

The pilgrims' albergue in Serdio is nice, but the food at Bar La Gloria was stupendous. If they have fabada, and you are not vegetarian, be sure to order it--best Fabada I had anywhere in Asturias.
I first had fabada in the albergue at Buendeños on the Camino del Salvador. Altogether my favorite Camino meal. Perfect for hungry cold pilgrims.

Just a few tips (none killer):

1) If you are going to spend any time in San Sebastian, get a room there, leave your backpack there, then take a daypack and get on a bus to Irun (takes about 45 minutes). The hike from Irun is long and hard up Mt. Jaizkabel, and you will enjoy it more with less weight - the views from the top of the Bay of Hendaye and the surrounding valleys are well worth it. Since you will be arriving in San Sebastian that afternoon/evening, there is no need to carry a full backpack with you.

2) Some of the towns that are the end of traditional stages are not so interesting and/or don't have much lodging, since all of the public albergues are still closed in the Basque Country (always book ahead at least one night, because you don't want to be stuck without a place to sleep.) Zarautz has a nice beach, but it is just a typical beach town (though good for surfing), whereas the town before it, Orio, is more picturesque and appreciates Camineros (they even have a Camino museum there.) Similarly, the town after Zarautz, Getaria, is also picturesque and has a nice beach, and though it is touristy, would be a nicer place to stay. Deba is a hole and the only lodging is one pension. If you can, I would push on past it to the Albergue Izarbide, which is nice and has great views. Likewise, push on after to Markina-Xemein to get a bed at the monastery at Zenarruza, and after Gernika to stay at the Albergue in Pozueta, which has a great host and good food.

3) Bilbao is a long way from Irun. If it isn't much more expensive, it's much more convenient to fly to San Sebastian, which, all told, is a nicer place to be in the summer if you like the beach, and, on the whole, seems to have better food than Bilbao.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

1) If you are going to spend any time in San Sebastian, get a room there, leave your backpack there, then take a daypack and get on a bus to Irun (takes about 45 minutes). The hike from Irun is long and hard up Mt. Jaizkabel, and you will enjoy it more with less weight - the views from the top of the Bay of Hendaye and the surrounding valleys are well worth it. Since you will be arriving in San Sebastian that afternoon/evening, there is no need to carry a full backpack with you.

2) Some of the towns that are the end of traditional stages are not so interesting and/or don't have much lodging, since all of the public albergues are still closed in the Basque Country (always book ahead at least one night, because you don't want to be stuck without a place to sleep.) Zarautz has a nice beach, but it is just a typical beach town (though good for surfing), whereas the town before it, Orio, is more picturesque and appreciates Camineros (they even have a Camino museum there.) Similarly, the town after Zarautz, Getaria, is also picturesque and has a nice beach, and though it is touristy, would be a nicer place to stay. Deba is a hole and the only lodging is one pension. If you can, I would push on past it to the Albergue Izarbide, which is nice and has great views. Likewise, push on after to Markina-Xemein to get a bed at the monastery at Zenarruza, and after Gernika to stay at the Albergue in Pozueta, which has a great host and good food.

3) Bilbao is a long way from Irun. If it isn't much more expensive, it's much more convenient to fly to San Sebastian, which, all told, is a nicer place to be in the summer if you like the beach, and, on the whole, seems to have better food than Bilbao.
Good stuff--thank you

I walked the Norte from San Sebastian, turning onto the Primitivo and loved them both as they both have beautiful terrain, yet are a completely different experience from each other...wrapped up into one enchanting Camino. The Frances is lovely, but sometimes variety can be the spice of life.

Hi all, Firstly hope I am posting this in right place as doing via phone and I haven’t quite understood how the board works!

Anyway starting Norte in a few days. It will be my 3rd Camino after doing the Portuguesa (from Porto), and the Frances pretty much back to back last summer! So one day I hope to do a Camino in non COVID times!

Currently in super-hot Seville for the Euro 2020 football, sent my case to SDC via Correos, fly to Bilbao Monday, on to Irun, and off I go the following day. I don’t tend to do too much pre planning but I know that the Norte will be tougher logistically for things like accommodation so I will do what I can!

Anyway I will try and post each day with anything I think maybe useful and if anyone just in front of me has any advice, or anyone behind me has any questions please do not hesitate to ask!

I am reading through blogs and post for tips but if anyone want to post any ‘killer’ tips that would be most welcome!
G'day mate!

I will be hiking a half Camino Norte (St. Jean du Luz - Santander) from Sep 18 to Oct 3. Please tell me if the the albergues are open and anything else you would like to share about the Camino Norte. 😊

Have a bloody great Camino!

Cheers,
Bargepike

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
G'day mate!

I will be hiking a half Camino Norte (St. Jean du Luz - Santander) from Sep 18 to Oct 3. Please tell me if the the albergues are open and anything else you would like to share about the Camino Norte. 😊

Cheers,
Bargepike
I’ll be walking the Camino Irun to Santiago beginning sept 15 My sixth. All different ones. Am an elder lady so will take my time. Mlv

G'day mate!

Cheers,
Bargepike
Accommodations are tight right now but by mid-September most Spaniards will be back to work so should be a lot better. Many albergues open (but less capacity) but some, especially in out-of-the-way towns, are closed.
Relatively few pilgrims, mostly Spanish.
Some bars/restaurants in smaller places are closed so there are many long stretches without support. Make sure you carry water and snacks.
Many churches are closed except during Mass times.
Bring trekking poles. Lots of areas with tricky footing - eg hiking up or down steep dry (if you’re lucky) stream beds, loose rocks, slippery stones on medeival stone roads.

I walked from San Sebastian to Bilbao October 2018.Of the 2 I enjoyed Bilbao more.Looking back I think it was the arrival there that signified the end of bleeding toe nails for a few days.Fashion wise having to wear flip flops into bars and restaurants with bandaged toes was off putting for a day.After that I didn't care.3 days later I started the last 100km of the French way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back