• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Camino Frances 22/23 May - weather? clothes?

Sylvmino

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2019)
Hello All

I am planning on starting from SJPdP on the 22/23 May and wondering about the weather. It's hard to know if it will be a bit cold there or not and if i will need a thin sleeping bag or sheet / warmer walking clothes. Any advice would be really great. I'm also going to try and link this to the Calendar (fingers crossed).

Thank you and maybe see some of you on the way!

S

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the Camino starting in SJPdP in May 2015 and 2016. 2015 it was raining cats and dogs at a max of 10°C with snow on the top of the Pyrenees. In 2016 I started with the brightest sunshine ever at 28°C and caught a sunburn on the very first day. ...some later I had two weeks of non-stop rain. You can neither forecast nor plan the weather on the entire Camino. I would always recommend a light sleeping bag. If it gets too cold just put on a shirt. I would not walk just with a sheet or linen. Many albergues are not heated and it's quite difficult to sleep when you're cold. And keep in mind: many thin layers keep you warmer than one thick layer.

My first caminoday, 17.05.05, walked from Roncesvalles in heavy rain all day. All my things in my backpack was wet, learned that even if my bp had a raincover that was not enough, so later on I bought a poncho, and since then I always put a big plastic bag inside my backpack and bring all kinds of raingear, trousers, gaters, jacket, rainhat and an Alto poncho with arms. May can be anything, cold, wet, mud, hot, freezing, you never know.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No politics mind you, the weather is a'changing - what was true last year or two-three years ago is probably not much use now. May is usually high Springtime in Galicia in early May reveals abundant wildflowers and beautiful gardens in towns and villages; , Burgos-Leon-Astorga Spring has sprung leaving only late blooming; through Navara the grapevines have sprouted nicely the roses planted with them to attract the bees starting to bloom.. Mornings cool usually not cold but cool in the beginning great to get you started walking at a good pace, decidedly warm come noontime, then cool again evenings to hurry you along to a warm shelter and hot shower. You may not see a drop of rain then again you may discover that like Noah "the fountains of the great deep burst open, and the floodgates of the sky were opened". Cold or hot, dry or wet - remember Baden-Powell "Be Prepared"!

Last edited:
I'm planning on starting from SJPP on the morning of the 22nd, and fly into Biarritz late afternoon on the 21st. I'm pretty sure that we will run into one another somewhere along the route. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,
When I’ve walked during that time. I always brought a summer weight sleeping bag, a primaloft 1/4 zip pullover with a water repellent finish, and at least one long sleeve merino base layer. For rain I had an Altus poncho that covered my pack. I didn’t always wear them all at once, but I was glad to have them at the rainy sleety misty Cruz de Ferro, and walking to dinner from an albergue across the rainy plaza on a cool evening.
Everyone is different and your mileage may vary, but this stuff worked for me.

Good luck, and buen Camino.
Paul

I'm planning on starting from SJPP on the morning of the 22nd, and fly into Biarritz late afternoon on the 21st. I'm pretty sure that we will run into one another somewhere along the route. Buen Camino!

I’m sure we will Tim. Although I’ve got 7 weeks so will take it slow and add finesterre on the end because I won’t want to go home! Hoping to break the first leg up at Orisson. Weather and lungs permitting!! Buen Camino!!

Sylvmino,
I'll keep my eyes peeled for you! I plan on doing Finesterre or Muxia at the end. I'm not planning on rushing through either, but plan on being done around 30 days or so. We'll see how much time I want to take!

Buen Camino!

-Tim

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello All

I am planning on starting from SJPdP on the 22/23 May and wondering about the weather. It's hard to know if it will be a bit cold there or not and if i will need a thin sleeping bag or sheet / warmer walking clothes. Any advice would be really great. I'm also going to try and link this to the Calendar (fingers crossed).

Thank you and maybe see some of you on the way!

S

Indeed you might, that’s my planned start date(s). I’ve been using Wetteronline to look at historical temps along the route. It can be quite variable between years.

If you can handle a little German see https://www.wetteronline.de/?gid=08...sid=ColorMap&year=2017&month=05&metparaid=TXA

This is for May 2017. You can change the month/year in the box to the right of the map and then pressing Zeigen. To see actual recorded temps click Stationen, it should show you Santiago.

I’ve been using it to try and gauge when I should leave (someone would like me to delay till 30th May for starting walk, I’m concerned about how far in July is feasible seeing how hot it gets)

Last edited:
Slyvmino,

I may see you along the way! My daughter and I have not nailed down an exact starting date yet, but will probably be starting in Leon near the end of May. I have gathered that we need to be prepared for any weather and plan on layers. My current biggest gear question is also the sleeping bag vs sleep sack quandry. Thank you for posting the question.
My guess is that @Sylvmino has already completed their Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back