• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

starting Camino Frances before SJPP?

LesR

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2017, 2018; Camino Portuguese 2019
I hope to be walking the Camino Frances from mid-September this year, and would like to start two or three days before SJPP to allow the legs and pack to settle in before tackling the SJPP to Roncesvalles leg...

Will be travelling from Paris to SJPP to in the first instance, but would like to'back-up' the track a little to acclimatize ...

Am looking for a suitable starting point that is easy to get to from SJPP and allows two or three days of 20 - 30 km walking. Simpler is better and am flexible on accommodation options.

Any suggestions?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Starting some days before SJPP makes a lot of sense.
I have been looking at the Voie (Way) de la Nive , from Bayonne to SJPP -three good days, starting easy, steeper at the end. See here Some forum members have done it, use the "search" function.
Another option is the Piedmont way, from Mauleon-Licharre. Two days to SJPP, with a very pleasant mountain landscape. I walked it (from Lourdes), it was great; cooler in September than other ways, too. And provides a bit of a solo experience, before the crowds of CF
upload_2017-6-2_7-22-28.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Or you could start somewhere on the Le Puy route, for example in Navarrenx. Important: You do not need to go to SJPdP first to travel to a point earlier on the way in France! Buen Camino, SY

I hope to be walking the Camino Frances from mid-September this year, and would like to start two or three days before SJPP to allow the legs and pack to settle in before tackling the SJPP to Roncesvalles leg...

Will be travelling from Paris to SJPP to in the first instance, but would like to'back-up' the track a little to acclimatize ...

Am looking for a suitable starting point that is easy to get to from SJPP and allows two or three days of 20 - 30 km walking. Simpler is better and am flexible on accommodation options.

Any suggestions?
I agree with SYates that the Chemin du Puy route would be an excellent alternative for acclimatizing and fun to experience some walking in France. Also, there is one of the best gites on the entire Chemin du Puy in Ostarbat with a pool and an owner waiter who will sing "Ultreia" at their communal dinner and some Basque songs as well. Wish I could remember the name but it's a short walk past the village on the Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Another vote for Navarrenx. You can get a credential there; the local pilgrim association hosts a welcome every afternoon. And it's not unusual to begin there, so it must have decent transit connections getting in.

I agree with SYates that the Chemin du Puy route would be an excellent alternative for acclimatizing and fun to experience some walking in France. Also, there is one of the best gites on the entire Chemin du Puy in Ostarbat with a pool and an owner waiter who will sing "Ultreia" at their communal dinner and some Basque songs as well. Wish I could remember the name but it's a short walk past the village on the Camino.

http://pratique.tourisme64.com/hebe...me/gite-d-etape-izarrak/HCOAQU064014YRYJ.html

Agree with everyone else this a great place to stay "gite-d-etape-izarrak" . Owners are fun, the wife cooks an excellent meal and her husband (a jolly Basque farmer complete with the Basque beret) entertains visitors pre dinner with his Basque songs.

Excellent idea! My vote goes to Navarrenx too. I really liked the albergue l'Alchimiste in Navarrenx. Very nice hosts, a wonderful vegetarian dinner. With a bit of 'vegetable art' :)

2015-06-13-19.15.51-e1434262703512.jpg

The host in Navarrenx pouring tea after a very rainy walk.

2015-06-13-15.20.08-e1434262216684.jpg

And here is the Bask singer in Ostabat ;)

2015-06-15-19.07.15-e1434541890879.jpg

Just be prepared to speak French!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thnak

Any suggestions?

Thank you all for your advice - would love to be able to do as you have all advised - but, at this stage, "fresh legs" wins out over "different experiences" on the Camino - at my age, always a chance that it would end in tears if I tried the SJPP to Roncesvalles in one day, so the game plan is take it slowly and steady, see how the body holds up and if it allows me, can quicken up the pace on latter stages...

Maybe next time...

Starting SJPP on 12 September and overnight at Orisson...

Excellent idea! My vote goes to Navarrenx too. I really liked the albergue l'Alchimiste in Navarrenx. Very nice hosts, a wonderful vegetarian dinner. With a bit of 'vegetable art' :)

2015-06-13-19.15.51-e1434262703512.jpg

The host in Navarrenx pouring tea after a very rainy walk.

2015-06-13-15.20.08-e1434262216684.jpg

And here is the Bask singer in Ostabat ;)

2015-06-15-19.07.15-e1434541890879.jpg

Just be prepared to speak French!

Any suggestions?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back