• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Camino Frances June 15. Some quick questions!

metanoia

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances June - July (2018 )
Hello all,

After much needed research on this website, I have been preparing to start my first Camino from SJPdP on June 15th.
I will be walking to SdC alone, not planning to pre-booking albergues, just walk, eat, rest, repeat.

I have been stressing over bringing a jacket as it seems that the summer heat hasn't started.
Looks like I may get rain on my first few days as well.

1) I have a long sleeve tech shirt and light windbreaker, should I bring a warmer jacket for the evenings/mornings?

2) I haven't packed any long pants as I am accustomed to wearing shorts all day in hot weather. I am not worried about the sunburn, I am just worried if it would be cold in the mornings. From your experience is long pants a must around this time of year?

3) I go trekking and for long walks in my Keen hiking sandals with injinji toe socks or darn toughs. I am planning to do the full camino in these, if they get wet from the rain I have 3 extra pairs of socks and a poncho to keep me dry. Anyone want to advise against this? :)

Thank you all!!! Buen Camino!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked the Camino last June, by the time we neared Santiago it was hot, very hot. In fact there were raging fires in Portugal for the last few weeks and a heat-wave in London.
However the mornings were still pleasantly crisp, sometimes quite cool, and we had one torrential day that was really cold.
I never felt the need for long pants (I wear shorts all year round anyway - I live by a beach in a warmish climate), but wore my jacket every morning. I never took my long pants out of the pack the whole trip.
Every year is different so maybe its a good idea to take pants, as it seems colder this year by all accounts.
I saw other people in long pants, so its a personal thing, I saw plenty of people in long pants or tights each day, all the way to Santiago even in 40 degree heat.
I wore shoes, my friend bought Teva sandals in Astorga and wore them everyday afterwards. Next year I will wear sandals too, I walk in them at home, I dont know why I didn't take them to Spain.

Hi!

I would say not to bring a "warmer jacket." If anything, bring another very lightweight long sleeved shirt, and maybe a scarf or buff, so you can layer up. If you find yourself in unusually cold weather, you can always put your poncho on until it warms up!

What were you planning to wear in the evenings and to sleep? I wouldn't travel without some sort of long pants, but not everyone would agree.

Regarding your feet... by the time you get to Galicia, where rain is more frequent, it will be well into July. Even so, nothing will keep you feet dry in constant rain. Even changing your socks will only help for 10 minutes, so I wouldn't worry about that in July.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you guys for the priceless information!! What an amazing forum, I post, go eat dinner and already informative replies from 2 lovely people :D
I never felt the need for long pants (I wear shorts all year round anyway - I live by a beach in a warmish climate), but wore my jacket every morning. I never took my long pants out of the pack the whole trip.
Every year is different so maybe its a good idea to take pants, as it seems colder this year by all accounts.
I saw other people in long pants, so its a personal thing, I saw plenty of people in long pants or tights each day, all the way to Santiago even in 40 degree heat.

Anamiri, I love shorts too. Every day if I can. I used to live along the equator so I am accustomed to warm weather too. Which makes me weaker in colder weather o_O
I'm 67kg and my Millet 40L is at 5.7kg so I'll probably throw them in.

I would say not to bring a "warmer jacket." If anything, bring another very lightweight long sleeved shirt, and maybe a scarf or buff, so you can layer up. If you find yourself in unusually cold weather, you can always put your poncho on until it warms up!

What were you planning to wear in the evenings and to sleep? I wouldn't travel without some sort of long pants, but not everyone would agree.

Regarding your feet... by the time you get to Galicia, where rain is more frequent, it will be well into July. Even so, nothing will keep you feet dry in constant rain. Even changing your socks will only help for 10 minutes, so I wouldn't worry about that in July.

Thats a great idea - I will bring another long sleeve as I am already bringing a windbreaker and poncho. My jacket is pretty heavy so thanks for helping me come to this decision!

I usually sleep naked :cool: but for the albergues I'll put on a t-shirt and shorts when its warm, long sleeve and shorts if its cold. I have a silk sleeping sleeve that I will use. Are the albergues heated if its cold?

Thank you guys for the priceless information!! What an amazing forum, I post, go eat dinner and already informative replies from 2 lovely people :D
Are the albergues heated if its cold?

Given I have walked primarily in June and September, I have never experienced heating in the albergues. Some of them have blankets.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello all,

After much needed research on this website, I have been preparing to start my first Camino from SJPdP on June 15th.
I will be walking to SdC alone, not planning to pre-booking albergues, just walk, eat, rest, repeat.

I have been stressing over bringing a jacket as it seems that the summer heat hasn't started.

1) I have a long sleeve tech shirt and light windbreaker, should I bring a warmer jacket for the evenings/mornings?

2) I haven't packed any long pants as I am accustomed to wearing shorts all day in hot weather. I am not worried about the sunburn, I am just worried if it would be cold in the mornings. From your experience is long pants a must around this time of year?

3) I go trekking and for long walks in my Keen hiking sandals with injinji toe socks or darn toughs. I am planning to do the full camino in these, if they get wet from the rain I have 3 extra pairs of socks and a poncho to keep me dry. Anyone want to advise against this? :)

Hello all,

I hike at home in Tevas and used them all the way from Le Puy on the Camino. I had water proof socks for the really wet days, wool socks for cold days and no socks at all for warm days. And never a blister.

I hike at home in Tevas and used them all the way from Le Puy on the Camino. I had water proof socks for the really wet days, wool socks for cold days and no socks at all for warm days. And never a blister.

I didn't get waterproof socks - never knew there was such a thing! Oh well. I'll go barefoot in my keens when it rains and tighten them so my feet don't slip around.
Actually you've inspired me to try barefoot for a while until I feel hot spots or discomfort... :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nope. It sounds perfect!
I usually sleep naked :cool: but for the albergues I'll put on a t-shirt and shorts when its warm, long sleeve and shorts if its cold.
Yeah, that's definitely a better idea. ;)

Buen camino, @metanoia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am here in Sarria after starting 17th May in Sarria. It’s been very cold the whole time and very rainy! Galicia is freezing!!! I am very glad I had my light down jacket, gloves and hat! Max temps during day 13-14 degs. Apparently this is unusual and you can buy stuff here, but I would bring at least a fleece rather than a shirt

I am here in Sarria after starting 17th May in Sarria. It’s been very cold the whole time and very rainy! Galicia is freezing!!! I am very glad I had my light down jacket, gloves and hat! Max temps during day 13-14 degs. Apparently this is unusual and you can buy stuff here, but I would bring at least a fleece rather than a shirt
I mean in SJPP!!

Hello Metanoia. Im planning to start from SJPP on 15th June also. Coming from Ireland, it looks like France/Spain will feel quite like home (clouds and feeling cool) when I arrive. I’m bringing shorts, layers, a fleece, poncho and silk liner. Am planning to sleep in my long trousers if cool at night. Hoping I’ll be warm enough.

I’m desperate to keep my pack as light as possible as after going over on my ankle a month ago, my right Achilles has been grumbling a bit, some localised swelling and crepitus but not too much pain. Am able to walk about normally throughout the day but it still gets a bit sore and swollen after a longer walk. Must admit this is making me feel anxious about the physical challenge ahead.

Am actually wondering if I should skip the mountains and bus from Biarritz to Pamplona. Any advice gratefully received.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Oh man that sounds tough! I am definitely not ready for that kind of weather. The forecast says its supposed to warm up/dry up after the 15th... and I have faith.
That being said, I am taking your advice and will probably bring my Columbia soft shell jacket.
I'll probably need it for the flights anyway, and I am sending a box to SdC from Pamplona so I could always send it anyway.

Hello Metanoia. Im planning to start from SJPP on 15th June also. Coming from Ireland, it looks like France/Spain will feel quite like home (clouds and feeling cool) when I arrive. I’m bringing shorts, layers, a fleece, poncho and silk liner. Am planning to sleep in my long trousers if cool at night. Hoping I’ll be warm enough.

I’m desperate to keep my pack as light as possible as after going over on my ankle a month ago, my right Achilles has been grumbling a bit, some localised swelling and crepitus but not too much pain. Am able to walk about normally throughout the day but it still gets a bit sore and swollen after a longer walk. Must admit this is making me feel anxious about the physical challenge ahead.

Am actually wondering if I should skip the mountains and bus from Biarritz to Pamplona. Any advice gratefully received.

Hi Tollymore :D
My clothing list is pretty similar. My mom lent me her skinz leggings so I will use those under shorts instead of pants. Way lighter too. I could totally sleep in them too.
I read that the first day to Roncesvalles is uphill and far, it may not be so good for your achilles, especially if it gets swollen. Theres something going on with my left knee too, it gets a bit stiff after a long walk or sitting down a while. I'll definitely have to listen to it well and act accordingly.

Slightly off topic, but when I hurt my knee I found the cafes really helpful, giving me ice in a bag every time I stopped at one while it was sore. I sent my pack ahead for a few days, wore a knee brace, and it came right. It was helpful having access to the ice.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello all,

1 - yes definitely take something lightweight and warm - even in July it can VERY cold and windy around Foncebadon and O'Cebreiro

2 - yes for the same reasons as above.

Although you are the best judge of your needs. And you can always buy what you need along the way.

I wore shorts every day while I walked the Camino between the months of June to September. I never walked in long pants. I only wore long pants while traveling to and from the Camino and in the evenings sometimes while on the Camino when it got chilly. It was never what I would consider as cold during those months.

In the higher parts of the Camino Frances - the Roncesvalles crossing and the Cruz de Ferro in particular - the combination of rain and wind can have a serious chilling effect at any time of year. Be prepared to add or remove layers when necessary. I personally prefer a waterproof jacket rather than a poncho but that is a debatable point. Just yesterday an American peregrina was rescued by the Burguete bomberos after suffering a broken leg and severe hypothermia. It is wise to prepare for cold and wet even in summer.
https://pamplonaactual.com/rescatada-una-peregrina-estadounidense-herida/

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello all,

It has been rainy and chilly. Long sleeve tech shirt, and a rain jacket layering should be okay. Bring one pair of long pants that zip off. The injingi socks are miraculous. Just make your shoes will have good traction on slippery rocks and mud. Bring a sleeping bag or down comforter as it has been chilly at night

Thank you guys for the insight!

I have decided to bring some warm clothes.

Columbia soft shell fleece lined jacket (500g), 1 tech long sleeve shirt, 1 heat-tech long sleeve, ultra-light windbreaker, poncho. No pants but some skinz leggings to wear under my shorts.
I am going to some music festivals afterwards and have some stuff to send to SdC anyway, so I can always send my extra clothes if I don't need it!

Rainy and chilly is not something I look forward to! I will be praying for sunshine....

Hi Tollymore, where you start is up to you but it would be fun to say that you hiked over the Pyreness! You could spend the first night in Orisson where you can make a reservation. I recommend that you use tracking poles. Also when you need to, you can send your pack on to the next albergue. I got my pack down to just over 3 kg. I had two shirts, one to wear one to wash.
Also you don't have to walk very far every day. Just take it easy and enjoy yourself. And it's normal to feel anxious. You are about to start your adventure. Buen camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello all,

Hey there! ill also be starting the trail on the 15!

Hey there! ill also be starting the trail on the 15!
Awesome! Do you or anyone know how busy the municipal albergue at SJPP gets at this time of year? I'm gonna arrive in the afternoon so I'm gonna stay a night. I'd like to start my camino off there but if there won't be beds I might as well book a room on booking.com now.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Awesome! Do you or anyone know how busy the municipal albergue at SJPP gets at this time of year? I'm gonna arrive in the afternoon so I'm gonna stay a night. I'd like to start my camino off there but if there won't be beds I might as well book a room on booking.com now.
I'm not really sure. This is my first time doing this. But I have already reserved in albergue outside of SJPP for the night so i can start bright and early the next morning

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm not really sure. This is my first time doing this. But I have already reserved in albergue outside of SJPP for the night so i can start bright and early the next morning

Hmm that sounds like a good idea for me too, not knowing the current situation at SJPP....

im staying right outside of SJPdP in Banca. how are you getting to SJPdP. Im flying into Biarritz and then taking a train

im staying right outside of SJPdP in Banca. how are you getting to SJPdP. Im flying into Biarritz and then taking a train

I'm taking an overnight bus from Paris to Bayonne, arriving on the morning of the 14th. And then train/bus to SDPP!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The Camino from SJPP to Roncavalles is very muddy in some parts and you will be happy to have a warmer jacket in the evenings. We are in Estella now and have worn light weight fleece or down coat each evening. Very muddy shoes. Bring or buy a hiking pole.

For warm clothes, especially in the Pyrenees, bring something worn out for warmth and discard the stuff when not needed anymore. Shop a second-hand store if you don't have anything you've considered getting rid of.

Why did I not think of that...brilliant.

The Camino from SJPP to Roncavalles is very muddy in some parts and you will be happy to have a warmer jacket in the evenings. We are in Estella now and have worn light weight fleece or down coat each evening. Very muddy shoes. Bring or buy a hiking pole.

Yup I'll have my warm clothes.
Muddy sandals and socks... hmm. Atleast they will dry out quickly when I wash them :p
I've never used poles and I wasn't planning to so I'll probably go without. Thanks for the recommendation though.

I'm starting on June 15 from SJPP as well. Carrying a light jacket as well. All other clothing is for warm weather.

I've never used poles and I wasn't planning to so I'll probably go without. Thanks for the recommendation though.
Hiking in the mountains I use one pole; for the Camino I used none but for muddy conditions at least one is a good idea. It will allow you to lean forward more to be able to pull your way free from the earth trying to suck you down.

€60,-
Hiking in the mountains I use one pole; for the Camino I used none but for muddy conditions at least one is a good idea. It will allow you to lean forward more to be able to pull your way free from the earth trying to suck you down.

Ah that makes sense. If I could borrow poles for that segment I totally would! The thing is, I don't think I'll be using them (I rather walk with just my feet) for the rest of the journey and I don't want them on my backpack the entire trip. So I will tough it out, no regrets.

Hi Tollymore, where you start is up to you but it would be fun to say that you hiked over the Pyreness! You could spend the first night in Orisson where you can make a reservation. I recommend that you use tracking poles. Also when you need to, you can send your pack on to the next albergue. I got my pack down to just over 3 kg. I had two shirts, one to wear one to wash.
Also you don't have to walk very far every day. Just take it easy and enjoy yourself. And it's normal to feel anxious. You are about to start your adventure. Buen camino

Thanks, Konnie. I’ve a reservation for Orrison which gives me some peace of mind and I intend to buy poles too.

Thanks, Glamgrrl, for the trail conditions update.

Hi Yanlingly and TennKeith, hope our paths cross at some point.

I’m having serious jitters about going. My original excitement has turned to pure nerves.

Ah that makes sense. If I could borrow poles for that segment I totally would! The thing is, I don't think I'll be using them (I rather walk with just my feet) for the rest of the journey and I don't want them on my backpack the entire trip. So I will tough it out, no regrets.

If you change your mind you can always buy poles in SJPDP.
The downhills were the hardest for knees, the hill down into Roncesvalles has a road option which is a lot better for knees, and the walk down into Zubiri the next day is steep as well, with ridges of limestone running across the track, so you have to make sure to pick your feet up.
The next serious down is when you leave Pamploma, the hill down from Alto de Perdon is awful with big stones to pick your way through all the way down - I cant imagine doing that without poles.

If you change your mind you can always buy poles in SJPDP.
The downhills were the hardest for knees, the hill down into Roncesvalles has a road option which is a lot better for knees, and the walk down into Zubiri the next day is steep as well, with ridges of limestone running across the track, so you have to make sure to pick your feet up.
The next serious down is when you leave Pamploma, the hill down from Alto de Perdon is awful with big stones to pick your way through all the way down - I cant imagine doing that without poles.

Gotcha, that is good to know. I'll go with my feeling once I reach SJPP!

I'm arriving in Bayonne at 9:30am and to SJPP from there, so I'm thinking I will be in SJPP by noon.
Do you guys think I will be able to get a bed at the municipal albergue if I go to the pilgrim office at noon?

Hello all,

I found that the rain jacket I brought, froggers lightweight rain suit, was so warm when I used it that when I needed something to stay warm, like a jacket, it was perfect. I would have carried it anyway for rain, and this way I didn't have to bring an extra jacket.

After walking the Norte/Primativo my son an I decided to give Napoleon's pass from SJPP to Roncesvalles a shot just to get a taste of the Francés and one of it's most notorious climbs. I'm getting older and figured that when ever I got around to doing the Francés myself I could just start in Roncesvalles; but having done that bit once I'd be very reluctant to miss doing it again. For one the buzz in SJPP and the entire pilgrim vibe there is not to be missed, second from the perspective from SJPP and as a first day it is daunting, but the climb of you're in reasonable shape is not that bad, the views are phenomenal, and the stage can be broken in two if you reserve at Orrison.Plus the feeling of accomplishment you're libel to get from that day's walk will carry you a long way. Whatever you do you'll likely have a great Camino but for my part I'd say don't miss Napoleon's pass if you have the wherewithal to do it! Buen Camino!

I took a fleece jacket with me in July/August and questioned why I brought it all the way until I reached Galicia where it was cold, windy, and raining. When I go again I plan to take a similar fleece jacket.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.