• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Camino Frances May 1, 2022!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi , we are planning to start from SJPP on the 3rd May. You never know we may see you along the way.
I plan to spend the night of May 3rd in SJPP and begin walking on the 4th. Can I ask if you are staying in Orisson or walking all the way to Roncevalles on Day 1?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I plan to spend the night of May 3rd in SJPP and begin walking on the 4th. Can I ask if you are staying in Orisson or walking all the way to Roncevalles on Day 1?
We plan to stay at the new place 1km from Orisson, Auberge Borda, and then walk to Roncevalles on our day 2 which will be May 4th.

We plan to stay at the new place 1km from Orisson, Auberge Borda, and then walk to Roncevalles on our day 2 which will be May 4th.
Initially I was going to walk all the way to Roncevalles but re-considered. I don't want to overstress my body the first day & set myself up for sprains, strains, shin splints or worse. I should clarify that I am conflicted about whether to start out on the 1st or the 3rd........

I’m hoping to start out around then, possibly a week or so earlier. Also haven’t decided whether to start in SJPP or Pamplona, but leaning towards Pamplona. I did hike over the Pyrenees once, and that may be enough, at least for now.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Starting Camino Frances May 29, 2022!
I am planning on starting my Camino from SJPP on May 1st, 2022. Anyone else starting their adventure then? Would love to hear from you
Hi ScorpioGirl22 👋 we have made a group of fellow travellers from the Camigas FB page and will leave from SJPDP on 1/5/22. We will stay at Orisson but more likely Borda and split the 2 days up. There are 3 of us but 2 split at Pamplona. None of us have met before and we come from the UK, USA and Canada. Look forward to meeting you 😊

I am currently planning on starting out sometime in May and working it out such that I arrive in Santiago on June 20, 2022 (my 65th birthday). I'm just starting to do research and planning now. There's a big learning curve to come up. I don't quite have my arms around the accommodations yet. Do folks really just roll into town without a reservation a find places to stay? I find it hard to believe it's that easy? Like I said, I need to do a lot more research! I found a site that will book hotels along the whole route, but that seems to be too restrictive, expensive, and you miss out on meeting people if I have to follow an itinerary to the letter.

As far as day 1, I plan on going the whole way from SJPP to Roncesvalles via Route de Napoleon in 1 day. I know it will be long and hard, but I'm a pretty experienced hiker and am pretty sure I can do it without injury. I live in an area where elevation training trails are abundant, so I plan to train for the first day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am currently planning on starting out sometime in May and working it out such that I arrive in Santiago on June 20, 2022 (my 65th birthday). I'm just starting to do research and planning now. There's a big learning curve to come up. I don't quite have my arms around the accommodations yet. Do folks really just roll into town without a reservation a find places to stay? I find it hard to believe it's that easy? Like I said, I need to do a lot more research! I found a site that will book hotels along the whole route, but that seems to be too restrictive, expensive, and you miss out on meeting people if I have to follow an itinerary to the letter.

As far as day 1, I plan on going the whole way from SJPP to Roncesvalles via Route de Napoleon in 1 day. I know it will be long and hard, but I'm a pretty experienced hiker and am pretty sure I can do it without injury. I live in an area where elevation training trails are abundant, so I plan to train for the first day.
Hi there. I went through the route and planned the sort of distances that I wanted to do. Then I tried to marry that up with villages by looking on "Wise Pilgrim" and "Godesalco" to see what accommodation is there, and sometimes google maps to see where supermarkets and restaurants are.

It's not easy and is time consuming, and if you look at guide books as well you'll know what you want to see in places. After I planned my route I realised why people just put one foot in front of the other and walk! I have planned accommodation because I want to send my pack on. Others do it by leaving at dawn and walking till around 2pm , then finding accommodation. Maybe book to Pamplona as you want a bed Our timeframes are similar, so see you on the road!

I have planned accommodation because I want to send my pack on.
This was the intriguing part of one of the Camino travel booking sites I recently visited. My wife and I did something similar in Ireland 2 years ago with REI Adventure Travels. They would send our luggage onto the next destination and we would only need to carry a day pack. We were able to drop down to a 24 liter pack which made it much lighter and easier to carry. When I hiked the 850 mile El Camino Real (Mission Trail) in California ~8 years ago, I carried a 28 liter pack and it was a tight fit. I had to think about every ounce I carried.

I think I might at least let the site plan out a route and accommodations for me as see what it will cost. No harm since there are no obligations for an estimate. The one thing holding me back from jumping all into this approach to the Camino is that I might miss out on meeting other people along the way at the hostels (Albergues). I remember how lonely it got when I hiked the first half of the Mission Trail by myself. Fortunately, I met up with some cool folks and we did much of the remainder of the trail together which made it much more enjoyable. I still keep up with some of them on FB to this day!

This was the intriguing part of one of the Camino travel booking sites I recently visited. My wife and I did something similar in Ireland 2 years ago with REI Adventure Travels. They would send our luggage onto the next destination and we would only need to carry a day pack. We were able to drop down to a 24 liter pack which made it much lighter and easier to carry. When I hiked the 850 mile El Camino Real (Mission Trail) in California ~8 years ago, I carried a 28 liter pack and it was a tight fit. I had to think about every ounce I carried.

I think I might at least let the site plan out a route and accommodations for me as see what it will cost. No harm since there are no obligations for an estimate. The one thing holding me back from jumping all into this approach to the Camino is that I might miss out on meeting other people along the way at the hostels (Albergues). I remember how lonely it got when I hiked the first half of the Mission Trail by myself. Fortunately, I met up with some cool folks and we did much of the remainder of the trail together which made it much more enjoyable. I still keep up with some of them on FB to this day!
My experience of tour companies is that they tend to choose a 1*/2* hotel, whereas booking private rooms at albergues give you the additional comfort, alongside the pilgrim ethos. It's good to see their choices and give you an idea of budget though.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Please don't forget 1 May and the weekend around are a big holiday in France. There are limited services, transportion, food service and banking.

You don't have to book your entire Camino itinerary ahead of time to use pack transport. You can notify the pack transport company on a daily basis Yo let them know that you have a bag to pick up, and where to drop it off. Accommodation reservations can easily be made a day or two ahead, allowing you to remain flexible in your schedule.

Initially I was going to walk all the way to Roncevalles but re-considered. I don't want to overstress my body the first day & set myself up for sprains, strains, shin splints or worse. I should clarify that I am conflicted about whether to start out on the 1st or the 3rd........
Hello. I am looking at flights around that time so will be starting somewhere in the first week of May from SJPD is the plan and probably end at Burgos. Haven't been on this site in quite awhile but I see there is a new place shortly after Orisson after reading this thread. My goal for this Camino is to stay in as many different towns and accommodations as possible and within reason from my prior Camino. I was planning to just walk to Roncesvalles on day 1 but will look into that Borda place now actually just to maybe change things up a bit and I imagine it is a great place and way to meet some good people on day 1.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My experience of tour companies is that they tend to choose a 1*/2* hotel, whereas booking private rooms at albergues give you the additional comfort, alongside the pilgrim ethos. It's good to see their choices and give you an idea of budget though.

We are starting on May 3rd and I have booked most of our accommodation already, we want private rooms mainly because of covid. Our original Camino was supposed to happen last year and we were going to leave most of it to chance however covid put a stop to that. We are only going as far as Carrion de las Condes in May and hope to go back in September to complete it. I hope I will be a bit more relaxed in September and will be able to go with the flow a bit more after getting some experience. I may wish to send my bag on on some days but I think that can be booked on daily basis whilst there.

You don't have to book your entire Camino itinerary ahead of time to use pack transport. You can notify the pack transport company on a daily basis Yo let them know that you have a bag to pick up, and where to drop it off. Accommodation reservations can easily be made a day or two ahead, allowing you to remain flexible in your schedule
Thanks! I stated playing around with the Camino Ways booking site and it does appear you can you can pick and choose each day for hotel booking and also for luggage transport. However, if I understand it correctly, you only get one free change and thereafter are charged a fee of some sort to change the itinerary. I need to research this option more closely. I'm not particularly price sensitive, but then again I don't want to break the bank either. Has anyone had experience with CAMINO WAYS? Lave to hear about it.

Thanks! I stated playing around with the Camino Ways booking site and it does appear you can you can pick and choose each day for hotel booking and also for luggage transport. However, if I understand it correctly, you only get one free change and thereafter are charged a fee of some sort to change the itinerary. I need to research this option more closely. I'm not particularly price sensitive, but then again I don't want to break the bank either. Has anyone had experience with CAMINO WAYS? Lave to hear about it.
I'm was referring to booking on your own, and using one of the many pack transport services, such as Jacotrans, Camino Facíl, Pilbeo or Correos. When you do it yourself there is no charge to change the itinerary!

€46,-
I have no experience with any tour companies and unless you are totally hopeless and clueless at planning overseas itineraries; forget using them. You can do this trip on your own, 100's of 1,000's do it every year with no problem.

It was possibly that easy before Covid.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It was possibly that easy before Covid.
Depending on the time of year. Starting from SJPdP in May or early September, I would suggest to book up through Pamplona. After that there are more intermediate towns to stop in, and it's not as difficult.
As you can see from this chart from the pilgrim's office in St Jean, the heaviest traffic leaving there is May and September. And I believe that during September the first couple of weeks get the most traffic.

Pilgrims departing from sjpdp by month 2019.JPG

I went with a company the first time. I did not have them transport my pack, but there were days I did have it transported. There are options to do so wherever you stay for only about 5 euro (I used Jacotrans). This time (plan is to start on April 29, 2022), I will be doing my own booking either through booking.com or contacting establishments directly (Gronze.com is very useful). I prefer to have private accommodations, (I will turn 66 on the trail and prefer my own space (translated bathroom)), but there are lots of albergues that accommodate that request, therefore, I can still interact with fellow pilgrims if I choose.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ill be starting out late April early May. Im a newbie so just looking in to things like accommodation, routes, cycling opportunities, spending per day, what to take, etc etc a part of me just wants to turn up and walk but I guess its important to take some time planning. Please post if you fond anything out worth sharing with regards to Frances and walking at that time of year. Look forward to seeing you along the way.

Best of luck !!

We are staying in the new algergue about 500m past Orisson --- it is called Albergue Borda. I had considered walking all the way to Roncevalles but erred on the side of caution. I didn't want to overtax the body first day & maybe suffer repercussions.

TI am currently planning on starting out sometime in May and working it out such that I arrive in Santiago on June 20, 2022 (my 65th birthday). I'm just starting to do research and planning now. There's a big learning curve to come up. I don't quite have my arms around the accommodations yet. Do folks really just roll into town without a reservation a find places to stay? I find it hard to believe it's that easy? Like I said, I need to do a lot more research! I found a site that will book hotels along the whole route, but that seems to be too restrictive, expensive, and you miss out on meeting people if I have to follow an itinerary to the letter.

Our group of ladies have booked everything in advance..... some hotels and some pensions/albergues that have private rooms since none of us wanted dorm-style accomodations. I believe there are advantages & disadvantages to booking ahead but the biggest plus I think is that we don't have to roll out of at dawn in order to get to the next stopping place by mid-afternoon or risk not getting a room. for the night. Another concern was that COVID restrictions might reduce the number of rooms/beds tht would be available. The bookings can be cancelled up to 48 hours before the date free of charge. You will meet lots of people on the trail. And if you are comfortable staying in dorms, you can book many of them in advance also.
BTW: What books are you using for your research? There is stage calculator available to help you figure out your "personal" stages if you don't want to adhere to the common ones out there. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ill be starting out late April early May. Im a newbie so just looking in to things like accommodation, routes, cycling opportunities, spending per day, what to take, etc etc a part of me just wants to turn up and walk but I guess its important to take some time planning. Please post if you fond anything out worth sharing with regards to Frances and walking at that time of year. Look forward to seeing you along the way.

Best of luck !!
Are you planning on cycling the Camino? I have read that some people have cycled their camoinos. Doing it that way would certainly enable you to complete it in less time but I am wondering how that would affect one's opportunities to engage with other pilgrims along the way. I mean that when walking one can walk & talk with others fairly easily but I suspect being on a bicycle would make that more difficlult. There are lots of good resource out there including those listed in the drop-down box under 2022 Camino Guides at the top of this page.

No, I plan on walking the vast majority of the journey but Im not ruling the possibility of cycling various stages. Cycling 1 or 200 hundred kms across an overall journey of 900kms could break it up and make it more interesting as well offer some other opportunities to see different things. Its just a thought that I like the sound of but I definitely will be walking most of it.

€149,-
No, I plan on walking the vast majority of the journey but Im not ruling the possibility of cycling various stages. Cycling 1 or 200 hundred kms across an overall journey of 900kms could break it up and make it more interesting as well offer some other opportunities to see different things. Its just a thought that I like the sound of but I definitely will be walking most of it.

Just read your post about walking and cycling. How do you get access to renting a bike on the Camino Francaise? Can you share any resources you have on this? I think it’s a great idea!!

Our group of ladies have booked everything in advance..... some hotels and some pensions/albergues that have private rooms since none of us wanted dorm-style accomodations. I believe there are advantages & disadvantages to booking ahead but the biggest plus I think is that we don't have to roll out of at dawn in order to get to the next stopping place by mid-afternoon or risk not getting a room. for the night. Another concern was that COVID restrictions might reduce the number of rooms/beds tht would be available. The bookings can be cancelled up to 48 hours before the date free of charge. You will meet lots of people on the trail. And if you are comfortable staying in dorms, you can book many of them in advance also.
BTW: What books are you using for your research? There is stage calculator available to help you figure out your "personal" stages if you don't want to adhere to the common ones out there. Buen Camino
I've mostly been using 2 guides "The Camino Frances" 4th ed./2022 (Michael Matynka Iglesias) and an older version of "A Pilgrim's Guide to The Camino de Santiago" 2011 edition (John Brierley). I'll probably purchase a few more in electronic format to bring along so that I can access daily from my cell phone. Still in the reseach phase. I've booked 1 night so far in Orisson and plan to do much more research and booking the coming week while I'm away from work for the holidays. I need to book my first night in Paris, then my 2nd and 3rd nights in SJPP. I'll probably also book Roncesvalles.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've mostly been using 2 guides "The Camino Frances" 4th ed./2022 (Michael Matynka Iglesias) and an older version of "A Pilgrim's Guide to The Camino de Santiago" 2011 edition (John Brierley). I'll probably purchase a few more in electronic format to bring along so that I can access daily from my cell phone. Still in the reseach phase. I've booked 1 night so far in Orisson and plan to do much more research and booking the coming week while I'm away from work for the holidays. I need to book my first night in Paris, then my 2nd and 3rd nights in SJPP. I'll probably also book Roncesvalles.
Booking Roncevalles for the night after Orrison is a very good idea as it is a small village without a lot of options.

€149,-
Starting Camino Frances May 29, 2022!
I am planning on starting my Camino from SJPP on May 1st, 2022. Anyone else starting their adventure then? Would love to hear from you
Hey there ,I’m Jagdev, from Toronto Canada, will try to START the Camino from SJPP either April 27th.
I will be flying into CDG Paris on the morning of April 25th, ( around 7.30am) on AF. Not sure what’s the latest requirements at CDG to clear immigration and Covid related requirements ? Before my flight to Biarritz around 9.30 am from CDG.

I`m fully vaccinated ( two shots plus booster)
I`m doing the Camino , alone ( widower)
I have to find my way to SJPP from Biarritz/Bayonne .
(Around noon , April 25th)
any info. related to this will be greatly appreciated.
Have my first night at Albergue Borda (France) on April 27th ,
somewhere between SJPP and Roncesvalles on the Pyrenees .

Like to hear )and walk with ) from any fellow pilgrim on the camino Frances.
BUEN CAMINO ,
Keep well,
Cheers to all !

Last edited:
Hey there ,I’m Jagdev, from Toronto Canada, will try to start the Camino from SJPP either April 30th or May 1st. I will be flying into Madrid on April 27( have not booked any flight yet ) and will try to get the train to Pamplona, still needs my credentials, and place to stay in any hostel or albergue for the night of April 27th. Will try to get to SJPP on the 28th,( need credentials ) and stay at least extra day in SJPP. Let me know what you think ? I’m senior widower ,non Spanish speaking person. This is my first try at the Caminio. Keep well, Cheers !
Yatri59@gmail.com if you like.
Three of us are flying from Toronto also but we are flying into Paris instead of Madrid. I don't believe one is better than the other; it's just a personal choice. Lots of people use both. Have you booked your accommodations yet? You don't have to book the entire Camino but it is recommended to book in SJPP and Roncevalles (also Orrison if you are stopping there) because of the limited number of lodgings.

I'm also starting out from SJPP on May 1st with my first night in Orisson. Hope we meet up somewhere along the way!
That would be great. We are staying in the new Albergue Borda which is a few hundred metres past Orrison -- if the views aren't as great there as at Orrisson we will check in & then walk back. I am from Canada; where are you from?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm also starting out from SJPP on April 27th and will be staying one night in Auberge BORDA that night. Too bad I will miss you by three days.Hope we meet up somewhere along the way though ! Buen Camino .

Hey there ,I’m Jagdev, from Toronto Canada, will try to START the Camino from SJPP either April 27th.
I will be flying into CDG Paris on the morning of April 25th, ( around 7.30am) on AF. Not sure what’s the latest requirements at CDG to clear immigration and Covid related requirements ? Before my flight to Biarritz around 9.30 am from CDG.

I`m fully vaccinated ( two shots plus booster)
I`m doing the Camino , alone ( widower)
I have to find my way to SJPP from Biarritz/Bayonne .
(Around noon , April 25th)
any info. related to this will be greatly appreciated.
Have my first night at Albergue Borda (France) on April 27th ,
somewhere between SJPP and Roncesvalles on the Pyrenees .

Like to hear )and walk with ) from any fellow pilgrim on the camino Frances.
BUEN CAMINO ,
Keep well,
Cheers to all !
Contact Express Bourricot. This link has all the information on booking shared transport from Biarritz airport https://www.expressbourricot.com/wp...FROM-BIARRITZ-TO-ST-JEAN-PIED-DE-PORT-2019.pd

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That would be great. We are staying in the new Albergue Borda which is a few hundred metres past Orrison -- if the views aren't as great there as at Orrisson we will check in & then walk back. I am from Canada; where are you from?

Hello there Scorpiogirl ,
I’m in Mississauga , will be flying into CDG Paris and then fly into Biarritz April 25, have two at SJPP before I start the walk and staying my first night at Auberge Borda in April 27th ,
I’m jittery , not knowing what to expect at CDG airport , and then how to get to SJPP , and on the walk for a day or two .
It is so good to know someone who have your back and you have theirs . I’m a widower and have the determination to do the Camino , at 72 .
Hope to hear or see you on the Camino somewhere ,
Keep well
Buen Camino,
Cheers !

Three of us are flying from Toronto also but we are flying into Paris instead of Madrid. I don't believe one is better than the other; it's just a personal choice. Lots of people use both. Have you booked your accommodations yet? You don't have to book the entire Camino but it is recommended to book in SJPP and Roncevalles (also Orrison if you are stopping there) because of the limited number of lodgings.
Hello Fellow Canadian Camino Pilgrims,
I’m in Mississauga, and booked my flight to CDG Paris April 24th and then on to Biarritz by HOP (airline) and should be .. all things equal, in SJPP in the afternoon of April 25th, will be staying in SJPP on April25th and 26th, and start the walk on April 27th, and will stay at the new Auberge Borda, in the Pyrenees . 28th, Roncesvalles , Zubiri April 29th, and will stay extra day in Pamplona (April 30th and May 1st) then again extra day at Logrono ( May 6th ) i decide to stay extra day approximately every 100/120 kms .
Hope to meet you somewhere On the Camino.
Cheers !
Contact Express Bourricot. This link has all the information on booking shared transport from Biarritz airport https://www.expressbourricot.com/wp...FROM-BIARRITZ-TO-ST-JEAN-PIED-DE-PORT-2019.pd
Thank you Pauline, I will do that, Buen Camino.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Watching the weather for my April 26-May 1 walk. Too early to see the future, and now my question: Disposable ponchos( maybe 2) or more reliable poncho? Just carrying a very small backpack( bags...
Hi Everyone, This is kind of embarassing! I am leaving in 2 days, for my 3rd Camino and will primarily be walking the Camino Frances in April. My previous Caminos have been in June and June/July...
I will be starting my walk in May 2024. I will have my iphone with t-mobile service, which works fine in most of Europe. My question is for those of you who have been on this route, and had your...
if needed, can I purchase a rain poncho along my upcoming route from Tui to Santiago de compostela? As I watch the weather forecast for April 25-May 1st it appears TODAY that there will be very...
Preparing from Tasmania (island state of Australia) to walk about a month of the VP at my slow pace (maybe average 15km/day) with just the essentials on my back (so currently obsessed with the...
Hi All, Rachel from UK here. I walked part of the Camino in 2019 (6days from Pamplona). Last year I walked Frances until Leon. 2024 is the route to Santiago. Any tips from Leon to Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back