• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Camino Frances mid-March!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GypsyTraveler

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked part of El Camino in 2005. Planning to walk Frances mid march 2016
Hello fellow pilgrims! I am planning to start the Frances route mid march and I am just wondering if there are others also beginning around this time? I have been really looking forward to walking the camino solo, however have heard that certain areas may be more dangerous due to incidents that have recently happened...is the camino safe to walk solo and in March will it be busy enough to find others to walk with?
Buen camino!
Sarah

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Gypsy Traveler. I'm leaving late March. I'm 71 and I'll be travelling alone and I'm not worried at all. Have read a lot of guide books and blogs and have watched far too many YouTube videos. I haven't spoken with anyone face to face, mind you. The only warning I've come across is to look out for pickpockets in and around the larger towns. And I expect to be fending off a few watch dogs with my walking poles, as I've done while training. BUT, a woman was murdered last year by a local farmer who installed fake Camino guide posts which lead to his farm!!! Some other folks had followed the fake signs and had become pretty irritated - needless to say, they ended up mentioning this to the police, but sadly too late. See The Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...tiago-trail-with-painted-arrows-10502462.html There's risk everywhere and there's adventure everywhere. If you ever feel a bit antsy, find someone to walk with for a few hours - I expect there will be enough of us to walk with you when you need a companion. Tap me on the shoulder and let's go. Prepare, be alert and Buen Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello fellow pilgrims! I am planning to start the Frances route mid march and I am just wondering if there are others also beginning around this time? I have been really looking forward to walking the camino solo, however have heard that certain areas may be more dangerous due to incidents that have recently happened...is the camino safe to walk solo and in March will it be busy enough to find others to walk with?
Buen camino!
Sarah
Hi Sarah, the Camino is a safe place to walk. You will walk alone and when you do this try to stay in close distance of other pilgrims, or in front of after you.
That give a feeling of safety.
Wish you all the best on your journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen camino!
Sarah
Hey Sarah ,I am a solo female pilgrim starting April 1st- what recent incidents? Or do I want to know? I have had my fears, I have also not heard from anyone starting as early as Apr.1 st, but have been assured that many don't use this forum, and they will be out there. I have to have faith that my instincts will be sharp, I will be smart, and have other options if i am feeling unsafe. do not feel like you must be polite. I would love to speak more with you.

Hi Gypsy Traveler. I'm leaving late March. I'm 71 and I'll be travelling alone and I'm not worried at all. Have read a lot of guide books and blogs and have watched far too many YouTube videos. I haven't spoken with anyone face to face, mind you. The only warning I've come across is to look out for pickpockets in and around the larger towns. And I expect to be fending off a few watch dogs with my walking poles, as I've done while training. BUT, a woman was murdered last year by a local farmer who installed fake Camino guide posts which lead to his farm!!! Some other folks had followed the fake signs and had become pretty irritated - needles to say, they ended up mentioning this to the police, but sadly too late. See The Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...tiago-trail-with-painted-arrows-10502462.html There's danger everywhere and there's adventure everywhere. If you ever feel a bit antsy, find someone to walk with for a few hours - I expect there will be enough of us to walk with you when you need a companion. Tap me on the shoulder and let's go. Prepare, be alert and Buen Camino.
Hey Mike, I leave April 1st, may I tap on your other shoulder? Buen Camino, and see you out there!! Shannon

Buen camino!
Sarah
Hello

I'm a woman planning to solo starting March 27. The Camino is probably at least as safe as the other places I walk, and I live in fairly benign cities (Seattle and Edinburgh). From everything I've ever heard, those on the Camino are renown for looking out for each other. I look forward to meeting all of you!

Been Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buen camino!
Sarah
HI Sarah,

when are you planning to start and where, may I ask? I am a solo female wanting to walk the Camino but are concerned about the safety and was looking for groups that might start around the same time as me. I was looking at the Camino Madrid (starting in Leon ) but I heard about the murder of the pilgrim and thought I should start in more popular route.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
gypsywind - I'll be leaving STJPDP on March 26th. You might catch up. If so please tap away on shoulder and say hello. I'll be dawdling, taking lots of photos and I'll have an Australian Aboriginal flag patch on my brown hat. Buen Camino.

Hrllo!
HI Sarah,

when are you planning to start and where, may I ask? I am a solo female wanting to walk the Camino but are concerned about the safety and was looking for groups that might start around the same time as me. I was looking at the Camino Madrid (starting in Leon ) but I heard about the murder of the pilgrim and thought I should start in more popular route.[/QUOT

Hello! I will be starting March 18 or 19 from SJPP - hopefully I will see ya there or on the camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Buen camino!
Sarah
Hi Sarah, I am starting mid march, the 16 or 17th from SJPP and I am a solo female. I did the last 100km once with a friend from sarria but this time I am solo. I am not too concerned about safety as I am sure there will be fellow pilgrims on the route and perhaps we will bump into each other too. Safe trip.

Hi Sarah, I am starting mid march, the 16 or 17th from SJPP and I am a solo female. I did the last 100km once with a friend from sarria but this time I am solo. I am not too concerned about safety as I am sure there will be fellow pilgrims on the route and perhaps we will bump into each other too. Safe trip.
This thread is from 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back