• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Camino today - Roncesvalles

PhoebeP

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Oct 2018
Hello everyone!

I'm leaving from Barcelona today by train to Pamplona, then getting the bus straight to Roncesvalles. I think the bus should get me into Roncesvalles at around 8pm - should I ring the albergue and book ahead?

I am excited but also very nervous, I'm walking solo and have never done anything like this before. Any wise tips or words of encouragement would be hugely appreciated! This forum has provided so much useful info and has been an invaluable resource to a novice like me.

Thanks so much

Phoebe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello everyone!

I'm leaving from Barcelona today by train to Pamplona, then getting the bus straight to Roncesvalles. I think the bus should get me into Roncesvalles at around 8pm - should I ring the albergue and book ahead?

I am excited but also very nervous, I'm walking solo and have never done anything like this before. Any wise tips or words of encouragement would be hugely appreciated! This forum has provided so much useful info and has been an invaluable resource to a novice like me.

Thanks so much

Phoebe
You have got thus far, Phoebe. Congrats. I wish you all the best for your Camino. Do give a shout from time to time so we can cheer you on! Buen Camino.

My advice is , keep going west and go with the flow. You will not be alone on your journey, there will be others in the same boat, but remember you must go at your pace and listen to what your body is telling you.
I know you'll have a wonderful journey full of surprises.

As @kirkie says, let us know how you're getting on.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@PhoebeP it is probably too late by the time you read this, but yes, if you are not getting in until 8pm I'd phone ahead to Roncesvalles to reserve a room. The numbers are probably starting to drop, but a couple of weeks ago the albergue was regularly full.

If you do run into trouble in Roncesvalles, remember that it is only a couple of kilometres down the road to Burguete, with quite a few accommodation options. See this page of Bronze

Hi Phoebe and welcome to the forum,

Arriving so late I think at least trying to book ahead is a good idea.

As for wise tips.....the best I can do I suggest that you embrace the Camino from day 1 and enjoy it with an open mind. For me the Camino was a totally freeing experience where I could be who I am without fear of judgement (though of course if you happen to be a horrible person there may be a little judgement) .

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello everyone!

Thanks so much

Phoebe

You'll be fine! Yes, call and book if you can and to tell them of your late arrival, but you have other options if they're full (which is unlikely now). Take a deep breath, let it go... and you're on your way. Muy buen Camino to you!!

Good luck Phoebe,I fully expect to be having the same feelings as you in two years time when my Camino is due to begin.
The wise words from those experienced forum members seems to be to relax and embrace whatever comes along.
I am sure you are in for a wonderful adventure and look forward to hearing all about it.
Buen Camino
Stuart

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You are probably on the bus by now as we live 8 hours behind Spainish timeAll the very best and Buen Camino!

Hello everyone!

Thanks so much

Phoebe
Buen Camino, Phoebe. Please share your experiences with us. I'm doing my first Camino next September so I'll look forward to your experiences and advice. Stay safe, hydrated and positive !

Phoebe,where did you stay and eat last night?

Best wishes

Stuart

Hi Stuart! I stayed at La Posada. I booked a private room which was a little expensive, but allowed me to relax and enjoy my journey to Roncesvalles without worrying about if the Albergue was full by the time I got there. It was lovely, and I enjoyed a pilgrim dinner for an extra €10 or so.

:)

Phoebe

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Stuart! I stayed at La Posada. I booked a private room which was a little expensive, but allowed me to relax and enjoy my journey to Roncesvalles without worrying about if the Albergue was full by the time I got there. It was lovely, and I enjoyed a pilgrim dinner for an extra €10 or so.

Phoebe

Phoebe,
Sounds like you made a good choice and you have settled in nicely.
Plenty of opportunities to get your Credential stamped I presume?

For a newcomer to the Camino,makes a lot of sense I would imagine to get your accommodation organised at least for some of the early stages.

Is it busier or less busy than you expected?

Buen Camino
Stuart

Phoebe,
Sounds like you made a good choice and you have settled in nicely.
Plenty of opportunities to get your Credential stamped I presume?

For a newcomer to the Camino,makes a lot of sense I would imagine to get your accommodation organised at least for some of the early stages.

Is it busier or less busy than you expected?

Buen Camino
Stuart

Hi Stuart!

Absolutely, plenty of places to get stamps! I'm only getting one a day but I've seen others collect them in cafes etc along the way.

I'd have to say it's slightly busier than I had expected, but that's not to say it's too busy at all. A really great amount of people - you bump into the same faces and there's plenty room in the Albergues. Both yesterday and today I didn't book in advance and it's been completely fine - probably because I've been arriving at around 2ish, and Zubiri and Pamplona have had more hostels than Roncesvalles.

Phoebe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Phoebe,
Pleased to hear you are making such good progress.
I hope you don’t mind but I intend following your journey along the way as I will be starting my first Camino all being well at the same time of year but two years ahead in 2020,are you planning to go all the way to Santiago?.

Was the stage to Roncesvalles as you expected,seems to me that once you have that one ticked off you can with cope with anything that comes your way?

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply and look forward to further updates.

Stuart

HI Phoebe,
How’s it going?…I’m interested to know whether the Camino is living up to your expectations so far or have there been some surprises along the way both good and bad.

Buen Camino
Stuart

Phoebe,
I hope you don’t mind but I intend following your journey along the way as I will be starting my first Camino all being well at the same time of year but two years ahead in 2020,are you planning to go all the way to Santiago?.

Was the stage to Roncesvalles as you expected,seems to me that once you have that one ticked off you can with cope with anything that comes your way?

Stuart

Yeah I'm planning to do the whole thing!

And that's an interesting question. Because it was my first day walking, even though it may have been more technically difficult I found it manageable because of the excitement and adrenaline. The days that followed were harder because I was tired and achy, not because they were necessarily more strenuous.

Hope that helps a bit :) everything else is going really well! Met plenty of wonderful people and it's been an incredible experience so far.

Phoebe

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Phoebe,

Stuart
If I read her thread correctly she started in Roncavalles so her first stage would have been toward Zubiri/Larasona

Phoebe,
great to hear about your progress so far and sounds as if you well on your way.

Interesting point you make as I anticipate the further you get you are experiencing both a physical but more of a mental challenge each day.Hope your enthusiasm continues all the way to Santiago

Any particular highlights so far of the places you have visited?

Also,good to hear about the fellow pilgrims you are meeting but are you still walking alone?

Best wishes
Stuart

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back