• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting CF from Pamplona 28/08 - feeling a bit scared

AlexandraVreme

Time of past OR future Camino
none
Hi,

I will start my Camino Frances on Monday, 28th of August, from Pamplona (finally). I am writing this because I feel so nervous that I am doing this alone. I read a lot on this forum about women walking alone, it seems to be a pretty safe walk for women. To feel better, I installed the Spanish app https://alertcops.ses.mir.es/mialertcops/info/infor/info_2_es.xhtml?faces-redirect=true
I am bringing with me a peper spray which hopefully I will never have to use, neither for dogs nor for humans and uploaded the CF track on my phone so that I don't get lost.
My plan is that in the beginning, when I leave the albergue from Pamplona, I will ask someone if I can join him/her/them a few km. I guess people are mostly waking up at the same hour and leave more or less in the same time and I could ask someone who goes in the same direction. Not sure how this would be received, but I guess I can try. At least for a few kms until I get used to the road...
Anyway, this is something which crossed my mind, I am leaving tomorrow for Madrid and I feel so so nervous about this unknown journey. It will be actually me very first trip alone.
Any advice/thoughts for a beginner?

Thanks,
Alexandra

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You don't need to wait until you get up in the morning at Pamplona. When you are waiting for your bag at Madrid airport, look for likely pilgrims at the carousels and immigration queues and don't be shy to strike up a chat. Same at the airport bus station and when you are getting off the bus in Pamplona. Pilgrims are easy to spot!

The walk out of Pamplona is stunning, there is a spot at the top of the hill with the pilgrim statues where everyone takes photos. I bet you money you have new friends before the statues.

@AlexandraVreme we were all nervous on our first camino! You will not be alone. Spending the night in a albergue in Pamplona is a good plan, because that way you will already have met a few people before you start walking. Leave in the morning with everyone else and before you know it you will be chatting and making new friends.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You don't need to wait until you get up in the morning at Pamplona. When you are waiting for your bag at Madrid airport, look for likely pilgrims at the carousels and immigration queues and don't be shy to strike up a chat. Same at the airport bus station and when you are getting off the bus in Pamplona. Pilgrims are easy to spot!

The walk out of Pamplona is stunning, there is a spot at the top of the hill with the pilgrim statues where everyone takes photos. I bet you money you have new friends before the statues.

Thank you! That's a good idea :)

You are going to have a wonderful time Alexandra and your mind will quickly be put to ease. I hope you enjoy every step.

Safe travels and Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Alexandra, I would bet there will be many other pilgrims going it alone who feel exactly as you do! At this very moment they're probably checking their airline tickets, packing their packs, and feeling a very understandable attack of nerves. :)

They will be so glad to meet you!

And as others have already said, you will run into pilgrims quickly. I wasn't even outside the airport before I had met and talked to other pilgrims -- in English, no less. Everyone is excited about starting and meeting their fellow travelers.

Pre-trip jitters are part of the journey, but you have a great plan. You sound like you're well up to meeting the arrival challenges. Have a fabulous time!!

You are feeling what every other first time pilgrim is feeling, its perfectly normal. What you don't know yet, is that every pilgrim out there when you leave, and there will be many this time of year, is feeling the same thing! This is the beginning of the shared experience that binds pilgrims together, and is the basis of the camaraderie that most feel with their fellow pilgrims. Sure, its a bit intimidating at first. Given this is your first time traveling alone, who wouldn't be scared? But once you get there, you will meet people who feel like you do, and all those fears will melt away as you take those first steps. Nobody walks the Camino alone unless they want to. You will quickly learn that life on the Camino is the very essence of simplicity. Walk, eat, sleep.

You're going to have a great time. Embrace it. Your fears will quickly pass. Buen Camino!

In February of this year I began my solo Camino in Pamplona. It was an interesting starting point and the first days walk was beautiful. In a few short hours I had met four pilgrims, each began their walk alone (3 women and 1 man) and they eventually walked the whole way together. You will be fine and will meet more people than you thought possible---friendly and caring.

I hope you embrace you pre-trip jitters! Many weeks from now you will probably view your present concerns (and maybe fears) fondly and be proud that, despite having jitters, you found courage to get past them.

No great worry about dogs, either. None paid any attention to me but at the start I did feel better with a walking stick.

And......after a long travel time to get to Pamplona I was very tired and unsure I was doing the right thing. Once I ate a good evening meal and had a restful nights sleep, I was back to normal. Just try to get some rest your first night!

Best wishes to you!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Alexandra, I would bet there will be many other pilgrims going it alone who feel exactly as you do! At this very moment they're probably checking their airline tickets, packing their packs, and feeling a very understandable attack of nerves. :)

They will be so glad to meet you!

And as others have already said, you will run into pilgrims quickly. I wasn't even outside the airport before I had met and talked to other pilgrims -- in English, no less. Everyone is excited about starting and meeting their fellow travelers.

Pre-trip jitters are part of the journey, but you have a great plan. You sound like you're well up to meeting the arrival challenges. Have a fabulous time!!
Thanks a lot, Bala! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I feel so nervous that I am doing this alone. I read a lot on this forum about women walking alone ...

In the months before my arrival at Le Puy in April 2016 I also was nervous. In my case, my age (I was one of the oldest I encountered in more than six weeks), I spoke only English (and in a country reputed to be hostile to English speakers, even if not from England itself) and I suffer from a version of vertigo that can be debilitating My only saving grace was I had done a lot of training (significant weight reduction and good overall fitness were wonderful byproducts).

I needn't have worried. Within an hour of starting from the Cathedral a younger man fell into step and we chatted for a short while. I regularly encountered Florian in the weeks ahead. And he was the last pilgrim I spoke with at Burgos as I left for London.

I encountered quite a number of women walking solo. On two occassions there was just me and a (different) younger woman in a French gite.

And nearly all the email addresses I accumulated were from younger women. Without exception they had started solo but hooked up with another woman from time to time.

So, kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Hey, I'm a 59 year old man and I feel nervous about my first Camino. I start Sunday in SJPP if the heat wave will let me.
A heat wave in St Jean? A total change from May first this year - snow/rain/high winds/8 degrees C. Wear a broad-brimmed hat; drink lots of water. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In the months before my arrival at Le Puy in April 2016 I also was nervous. In my case, my age (I was one of the oldest I encountered in more than six weeks), I spoke only English (and in a country reputed to be hostile to English speakers, even if not from England itself) and I suffer from a version of vertigo that can be debilitating My only saving grace was I had done a lot of training (significant weight reduction and good overall fitness were wonderful byproducts).

I needn't have worried. Within an hour of starting from the Cathedral a younger man fell into step and we chatted for a short while. I regularly encountered Florian in the weeks ahead. And he was the last pilgrim I spoke with at Burgos as I left for London.

I encountered quite a number of women walking solo. On two occassions there was just me and a (different) younger woman in a French gite.

And nearly all the email addresses I accumulated were from younger women. Without exception they had started solo but hooked up with another woman from time to time.

So, kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)
Wow, thanks for sharing!

Hi Alexandra,

I wish you wonderful experiences and friendships made along the Way. You are in for a treat and I'm looking forward to hearing more from you about your walk. You will meet so many people. It's wonderful.

Enjoy! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Feel the fear and do it anyway ....
step forward and the Universe whatever you perceive it to be will meet you ...

There will be plenty of others and many will share your fear ...

Ultreia

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I started my Camino on May 19th and ended in Finisterre on June 27th and I never walked alone unless I wanted to. Many great people, meet as many as you can and no matter where you are, there's usually a familiar face. When alone, be aware not scared. Buen Camino!

Hi Alexandra, hope your first day went well! During my first Camino, I always happened to meet someone when I was looking for company. I hope the same happens to you, this is the magic of the Camino, all the best!

You should be fine but don't be naive and put yourself in any uncomfortable situations. There will be lots of opportunities to walk with others and you don't have to ask. Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We each bring our own fears and carry them in our pack. And we each reach a point where we start resorting that pack: keeping what needs to be kept and letting go of things that are too heavy or just not needed anymore. And that's not just a metaphor. ;)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back