• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting CF from SJPP Easter 2019

Barbara Whelan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2021
Camino Portuguese 2022
Hello,

I’m hoping to walk the CF next April. I have a lot of flexibility as to when I start but I’m trying to see when would be best to set out from SJ given that Easter is late this year (21st April). I had planned on travelling to SJ on Tuesday the 16th and setting out on Wednesday the 17th. However that is the Wednesday of Holy Week which I understand can be very crowded on the CF. Would it be better to set out the Wednesday of the following week, the 24th? I intend booking accommodation for the first two nights but would prefer not to have to book ahead beyond that.

Many thanks,
Barbara

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello,

I’m hoping to walk the CF next April. I have a lot of flexibility as to when I start but I’m trying to see when would be best to set out from SJ given that Easter is late this year (21st April). I had planned on travelling to SJ on Tuesday the 16th and setting out on Wednesday the 17th. However that is the Wednesday of Holy Week which I understand can be very crowded on the CF. Would it be better to set out the Wednesday of the following week, the 24th? I intend booking accommodation for the first two nights but would prefer not to have to book ahead beyond that.

Many thanks,
Barbara
Hi Barbara,
I had the same concern, hence I booked my flight into CDG for an arrival on the 24th. I plan to take a train from Paris to Bayonne and then connect on to SJPDP. I will rest/acclimate for a day and plan to start my walk on the 26th.
I hope to see you somewhere along the Camino.

Buen Camino,

Larry

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
@Barbara Whelan , welcome to the forum.

I cant help you with your question as to when to start.

But I can ask you a question. Do you think you have sufficiently prepared to walk between 20 and 30 km per day for between 30 and 45 days (assuming you have a lay day every 6 days or so)?

And its not just that but also the ups and downs (often the downs can be no less difficult than the ups). This is not meant to worry you. My only wish is that you fully succeed in achieving your intention without any signficant issues.

I was somewhat lucky in having nearly four years to prepare before my first day in April 2016. A test I have developed for myself for my continued training is to continue achieving:
1) 15 km before stopping for breakfast; and
2) 700 metres of elevation gain before ...
The second is hard for me at present - the route is crossed by the construction of a motorway until April 2020. Some people who live in low lying areas say they walk up stairs in high rise buildings - even better in some respects.
The purpose of these, for me at least, is to not only maintain (build) my bodily stamina but also help my mind when things dont turn out as intended.

Another aspect is to critically review and seriously use all clothing and other gear. I have just finished 600 km from Canterbury Cathedral to Chaumont on the upper Marne (less than 200 km from Switzerland), my fifth long distance pilgrimage in three years. When I got home last week I still managed to discard several items (a third set of socks and hose in particular) for future trips.

You've made a good choice, in my view, not to book beyond the first two days. Nice to be free to let your pilgrimage evolve as you complete each day. I cant recall any serious issues getting accomodation each day over my five trips in the past three years.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Last edited:
All of Samena Santa will be crowded, however it is the most interesting time to walk - think processions, festivals, celebrations, and great joy. That week a-n-d the week following will be crowded, many pilgrims and many who see that for the price of a Credencial one may enjoy an inexpensive holiday. Later the crowds do thin out. Spring is the most colorful time of the year to walk, the myriad of wildflowers think hillsides blue with lobelia protected wild primavera hiding away, village squares and homes covered with wisteria and iris. By the time you reach Galicia the first Padrón peppers will be on the menu. Crowds? Seems that these days about the only time there are few pilgrims is over Christmas! Stay flexible and all be be well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back