• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting El Camino del Norte on 10th May

gaulsdog

I am arriving in Hendaye on 9th May on the 20.22 from Paris.
Can any recommend a hotel and place to eat close to station.
Starting the Camino Northe the next morning for 18 days hoping that should take me ½ ways and hopefully I can come back next year and finish it.

Also, has anyone any experience about returning to Hendaye from about Ribadsella or Llanes.

I have being looking up the cheap hotels and hostels along the way and they seem quiet reasonable can even pick up 3 star for between 50 and 60 Euros so if the Albergue are in short supply it should still be ok.

I still think it will be hard to beat the walking the Camino Francis.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, There is a thread that may help you http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/el-camino-del-norte/topic10696.html also try this link http://www.irunhondarribiahendaye.com/index.php, go to 'Where to Sleep option.

I stayed in Llanes for a couple of days when I walked from Santander a couple of years ago, the German couple I was with caught the train back from there to Bilbao, it was a Sunday and I think there were 2 services a day, you might not be able to get anything direct, it might mean changing once or twice.

I walk from Hendaye 3 days later than you, fingers crossed for not too much rain.

Mike

Hi,

Looks like you can get from both towns back to Hendaye by train although it may take the bulk of the day.

FEVE - Ribadsella or Llanes to Bilbao, changing at Santander
RENFE - Bilbao to Hendaye, changing at Miranda de Ebro.

This site is also showing bus connections via either Bilbao or San Sebaastian.

Regards
Mig

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We travelled by Feve: it's very slow!

Rather than stay in dreary Hendaye, why not take the train one stop further West across the border to Hondarribia/Fuenterrabía - same place, the name depending on your preference or not for the Basque. The old town has some good hotels, including a Parador. Much more pleasant to stay there than in Hendaye! Martin

IMHO: crossing the bridge to Irun gives you 2 options : directly on your right there are some shops AND a simple hotel ( don't remember the name!).
There's also an albergue in Irun run by the association of pelgrims in Irun: if you google you will find them!
PB: it's less then a 5 minute walk from the station across the bridge !!!!

Good luck!!!

We get into Hendaye at about 7pm, which is OK for walking to the albergue in Irun, we can wash our clothes, go out for a meal, come back and relax before the lights go out at 10pm. If for whatever reason we missed the 4.30pm train from Bordeaux to Hendaye and had to catch the later one which gets in at 8.20 then I would consider staying in private accommodation, it would allow me to have a meal that was not rushed and be ready at my own pace for the next(and hard)first day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks to everyone for their help.

I looked on Google maps and a pension and a hotel shown just across the frontier, when I e-mailed them they both come up on the same e-mail so must be same management or owners.
They never replied to the e-mail so business must be good.

The Albergue looks to be a couple of kilometres into Irun so to far at 20.30 and not have eaten.

I never realised it was going to take 2 days to get back from Llanes, I should have looked into it before I bought the return ticket, it just looked good value at 40 euros back to Paris first class.

You might even catch up with me mikevasey

Theirs a nice cool one waiting for you, see attachment below, Hurry up

Sorry, got thirsty and had a little taste

Attachments

• Camino de Santiago de Compostela July  2010 108.JPG
    Camino de Santiago de Compostela July 2010 108.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 1,063
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back