• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting El Camino Frances 1 April 2023

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, April 2023
Hello All,

My Son and I are starting The French route on 1 April. We will be traveling with one small checked container that will hold items (i.e. trekking poles, small survival knives, sleeping bags and extra cold weather clothes) that we can not take on board our flight. I’m also cheking this gear inorder to meet the airlines carry on size requirements. Ok. Now for the question.

1. Will it be possible to transport our extra container the morning of 1 April which is a Saturday, just before starting the walk?

2. Does the pilgrim office in St. Jean provide this kind of support?

Currently we are scheduled to arrive in St Jean later in the evening on 31 March.

Should I regroup and try to get to St Jean earlier in the day on Friday?

Thank you in advance,
Epic

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If all that you need to send forward is an empty bag of some sort I think that you are best off buying a cheap duffel bag from a thrift shop or discount store and leaving it behind in SJPdP. On the way home you could check your backpacks since it won't be so critical to have them when you get home. Or you could buy another cheap duffel.

For anyone who wants to send a suitcase to Santiago the best option from SJPdP is Express Bourricot. Their service is available every day. You go to their office the day before you start your Camino, fill out some paperwork and pay their fee. They give you a tag to put on your luggage, and they will pick it up at your accommodation in the morning.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello All,

My Son and I are starting The French route on 1 April. We will be traveling with one small checked container that will hold items (i.e. trekking poles, small survival knives, sleeping bags and extra cold weather clothes) that we can not take on board our flight. I’m also cheking this gear inorder to meet the airlines carry on size requirements. Ok. Now for the question.

1. Will it be possible to transport our extra container the morning of 1 April which is a Saturday, just before starting the walk?

2. Does the pilgrim office in St. Jean provide this kind of support?

Currently we are scheduled to arrive in St Jean later in the evening on 31 March.

Should I regroup and try to get to St Jean earlier in the day on Friday?

Thank you in advance,
Epic
Could you clarify?

Are you looking to send your container direct from SJPDP to Santiago? In which case @trecile ’s advice is sound; or send a container ahead of you day by day?

In the latter case the daily transport has to be pre-notified to the service provider. There are several options once you get into Spain and their protocols vary slightly.,

All I can say is that I have had several pilgrims arrive in Madrid with their checked bags lost.
They had to buy everything to start again.
I will never again check bags.
Just carry them on. You can pick up nice trekking poles in Pamplona or SJPP.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have a question. How many liters are your backpacks? I am not sure why you would be worried about your backpack size unless you already have alot of gear in there. How much does your pack weigh with everything you will be carrying once you leave Pamplona. I am just asking as I am a little confused about the size requirements. I have carried my backpack many, many times on planes (my pack is 45 liters) and have never had any problems at all. I would also recommend that you use your poles from St. Jean. It is a long and tough uphill and a really steep and long downhill to Roncesvalles.
You can pick up nice trekking poles in Pamplona or SJPP
I am sure you have bought your tickets already. Unless you have poles you really love and already own I think it is far less expensive and easier to buy. poles and a knife when you arrive in St. Jean then paying the extra money to check a bag with the airline. I know that the airline I am taking and some others have a "light" fare that is the cheapest and allows you to bring personal luggage up to 10K, 22lbs. I am flying Level/Iberia and it would be about $150 (maybe more) round trip if I check a bag. I can buy poles and a decent pocketknife in Spain for about 30-35 Euros. I leave my poles at Pilgrim House in Santiago.

Sorry for the late reply. I’m carrying a Deuter 32L, once I set it up to the way I am going to carry the backpack. It exceeds the carry on measurements for Delta airlines. I’ll just do as recommended and take an extra suitcase and donate it. Thank you very much for your input, we surley do appreciate it. See you around.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.