• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting French Camino 26 Sept 2019

• Thread starter Deleted member 47758
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 47758

Hello everyone getting excited, any one starting on these dates? I have reservations for first two Albergues that were recommended. Thank you pilgrims.

25 sept/26 sept
Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port
Beilari

Start French Camino:
26 sept
Orisson refuge

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bravo for Orrison!
Hope you have reserved Roncesvalles, Zubiri and Larrasoana aswell.
They tend to be full.
Benny

I walked the Camino Frances back in 2015 and it was an unforgettable time for me. I am going again spur of the moment decision...I think during this time period. I am surprised by how crowded things have become since 2015. I guess I need to make reservations for Belari & Orrison. Does anyone have a link to them?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
E.G:
RONCESVALLES: Albergue de Roncesvalles
info@alberguederoncesvalles.com
http;//www.alberguederoncesvalles.com
ZUBIRI: Albergue Zaldico
reservas@alberguezaldico.com/ingles/informacion.htm
LARRASOAÑA: Albergue San Nicolas
alberguesannicolas@gmail.com
htpps://alberguesannicolas.com

Municipal albergues in Zubiri and Larrasoaña seem to be
under remont/renovation and closed. I had to take a taxi from
Zubiri to Pamplona.

At home look for Gronze.com
For the Camino itself, an offline guide for phone, like
Camino de Santiago Companion
Wise + Frances
Buen Camino / Way of St James

My wife and I walked CF in 2015 and 2017. In 2017 in Zubiri we stayed at Hostel Rio Arga. It was terrific. It overlooks the bridge into Zubiri. We had a private room for two with private bathroom across the hallway for 40 euros and this included breakfast.

We begin our third camino frances walking on Sept 20.

Bob

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, I will be starting my Camino on the 26th as well. I am arriving on the 24th and will spend the 25th relaxing before I head out. I am going to Roncesvalles on the 26th and have my reservation there. Hope to see you all (Craig and Dorpie) in St. Jean! Just two weeks away!

All the best,
Jim

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Just about to head into London to catch the Eurostar. Staying at Gite de la Port St Jaques and heading out first thing with a very red Lowe Alpine backpack. Hope to catch up with some of you as I crawl up the mountain.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

My wife and I walked CF in 2015 and 2017. In 2017 in Zubiri we stayed at Hostel Rio Arga. It was terrific. It overlooks the bridge into Zubiri. We had a private room for two with private bathroom across the hallway for 40 euros and this included breakfast.

We begin our third camino frances walking on Sept 20.

Bob
Hi Bob

as someone who has already experienced the Camino French way I would be interested in some advice.
I am planning to walk the whole French way this coming September Starting in St Jean.
how is the weather mid September to mid October when I will be walking?
do I need to pre book any accommodation at this time of year? If so the busiest places?
i am planning 28 stages/ walking days with some rest days. Is walking the route in 28 days achievable? I am reasonably fit and have done a couple of long distance walks previously.
Any help/ advice welcome

regards

richard

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Bob

as someone who has already experienced the Camino French way I would be interested in some advice.
I am planning to walk the whole French way this coming September Starting in St Jean.
how is the weather mid September to mid October when I will be walking?
do I need to pre book any accommodation at this time of year? If so the busiest places?
i am planning 28 stages/ walking days with some rest days. Is walking the route in 28 days achievable? I am reasonably fit and have done a couple of long distance walks previously.
Any help/ advice welcome

regards

richard
September (along with May) is one of the most popular months to start walking from SJPDP. Until you reach Pamplona there aren't many "in between" places to stop, so most pilgrims stop in Roncesvalles, Zubiri/Larrasoaña, then Pamplona. This can create quite a bed shortage. I recommend booking up to or through Pamplona. And Orisson if you want to stop there to break up the first stage over the Pyrenees.

Richard, congratulations on your decision to walk Camino Frances. We've walked the CF three times in mid-Sept to late October and are planning our fourth this fall, same time. The weather varies a bit. Some days can be warm, but not brutally hot. Some mornings can be cool, but not bitter cold. Most days start in the 40s and the temps can climb to the low to mid 70s. We've had clear days each time climbing to Roncesvalles, but for some reason, we've had rain the last two caminos on the hike to Zubiri. The last two years we've had clear days with blue skies for several weeks. When entering Galicia, it's not unusual to get rain for one or several days.

With regards to your hiking plan, covering 800 kms in 28 stages is ambitious. Brierley's guidebook suggests 35 days, including two rest days. Our first camino, we hiked 34 days and had one rest day, the second one with my brother and his wife, we had 36 days and 2 rest days, and last fall we had 37 hiking days, no rest days. This fall, we're planning 35 hiking days, no rest days.

As Trecile commented, the early stages for Camino Frances includes lots of pilgrim traffic. We made advance reservations for caminos two, three and our upcoming one for every night of the camino. I suggest you book reservations for St Jean, Zubiri, and Pamplona. You can monitor traffic and decide whether or not to book more reservations. Gronze and Booking.com are great resources.

Buen camino !

Bob

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back