• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Bilbao on 20/6/15

angeliki louk

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2014 camino Frances.
June 2015 Camino north
Camino primitivo
Already preparing my second camino......I am so excited to experience again the magic of the way....scared as the first time but the way will provide everything as it did the first time:))))
Anyone walking the north way around that period?
How is the weather at that time?
I am starting from Bilbao on the 20th June 2015 and a friend that has walked it said that I need 25 days to reach santiago.
Any tips for the north way?
Buen camino to everyone!!!!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good Luck Angeliki, its a beautiful route. One note of caution there is a lot of asphalt and long stretches through urban areas but you have some incredibly tranquil natural stretches as well. Remember you always have the option of going to Oviedo and onto the Primitivo,which in parts is off road heaven.

Buen Camino

Buen Camino Angeliki Louk! The North say sounds beautiful.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you can try and stay at Guemes and the albergue there and then take the cliff top option for walking the next day, its a beautiful walk on grassy trails, with stunning views of Santander in the background.
The albergue at Cuerres(it might not be listed in any guides) which is 8-9km before Ribadesella is a very good place to stop, 8 places.
The coastal way (E9) to Llanes is a lot more tranquil than the official way along the road, turn off at Buelna ( I think), Pendules has some very good Albergues it is a bit of hike from San Vincente but it gets the dual carriageway stretch out of the way and allows you to saunter along the coastal route the next day.
When leaving Llanes go to the long promenade grassy sea front walk you can stay with it until it ends then follow the rough trail along the cliff tops until you can see the Playa de Poo cut left about 50 metres before it, go around the playa then follow the largely concrete path on the other side amongst the sand dunes, this will rejoin the Camino at Celorio, you have one last beachwalk, a cafe at the end of it and behind it you will see a scallop shell marker. I have walked the Camino and E9 out of Llanes this way beats them hands down.

Last edited by a moderator:
The walk out of Santander is a long urban, industrial and all asphalt slog, stick with it. There is a thread about going a more direct way, have a look at it and take their tips. I followed a Sardinian doctor and what should have been about a 35-39 km day seemed to go down to around 25-27km, he ignored the arrows after about 18 km and just kept going directly west. There is possibly in Santillana Del Mar places to stay in huts on a campsite on the back end of town, if you follow the Camino out of town you might see them. In 2012 you could do this but no guides listed them, if the other options are full try them www.campingsantillana.com/
There is a unofficial coastal walk a few Km after Comillas to San Vincente, its a nice walk but IMO the Camino trumps it, following the Camino and coming onto the sight of the bridge across the Rio is worth it alone, you do not get it on the beach way.

If you stick with the Camino da Costa after Oviedo,Cudillero(El Pitto) and Luarca are both worth an extended look around.

Buen Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be starting in Bilbao but a little earlier than you, May 8th.
I'm also concerned by the weather, I get cold easily. I hear it's mostly the rain that makes it chilly, and some walkers reported full-on rain for their whole walk, but some rare people said that they only got 1 or 2 rainy days in May-June. So I guess we have to be ready for both options!
I'm bringing a sleeping bag liner instead of a full sleeping bag, in May though I am scared of being cold! Any advice?
I wish you the best of luck! I'll try and write along the way if I encounter some unexpected challenges so you can prepare ahead :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've been thinking of booking a flight to arrive in Bilbao on the 6th or 10th May, getting a bus to Irun and start walking a day or two later.

If you can try and stay at Guemes and the albergue there and then take the cliff top option for walking the next day, its a beautiful walk on grassy trails, with stunning views of Santander in the background.
The albergue at Cuerres(it might not be listed in any guides) which is 8-9km before Ribadesella is a very good place to stop, 8 places.
The coastal way (E9) to Llanes is a lot more tranquil than the official way along the road, turn off at Buelna ( I think), Pendules has some very good Albergues it is a bit of hike from San Vincente but it gets the dual carriageway stretch out of the way and allows you to saunter along the coastal route the next day.
When leaving Llanes go to the long promenade grassy sea front walk you can stay with it until it ends then follow the rough trail along the cliff tops until you can see the Playa de Poo cut left about 50 metres before it, go around the playa then follow the largely concrete path on the other side amongst the sand dunes, this will rejoin the Camino at Celorio, you have one last beachwalk, a cafe at the end of it and behind it you will see a scallop shell marker. I have walked the Camino and E9 out of Llanes this way beats them hands down.
Thank you for all the information!!!! I am so excited to begin!!!!!!

I'll be starting in Bilbao but a little earlier than you, May 8th.
I'm also concerned by the weather, I get cold easily. I hear it's mostly the rain that makes it chilly, and some walkers reported full-on rain for their whole walk, but some rare people said that they only got 1 or 2 rainy days in May-June. So I guess we have to be ready for both options!
I'm bringing a sleeping bag liner instead of a full sleeping bag, in May though I am scared of being cold! Any advice?
I wish you the best of luck! I'll try and write along the way if I encounter some unexpected challenges so you can prepare ahead :)
If you tend to get cold, bring a réal sleep bag.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back