• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Le Puy April 5. Is this advisable?

Rossco

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015, Camino Portugues 2017, Camino Finisterre 2017, Le Puy Route (Sept. 2018)
Yesterday I booked flights to Paris then I go to Le Puy to begin walking to Pamplona on April 5. I’m slightly nervous about walking this time of year due to weather conditions (if there is snow will it be unsafe) and availability of accommodation. I would appreciate any advice and opinions of anyone having experience of walking at this time of year. If it’s not advisable to walk at this time of the year I’ll change plans and walk the Camino Frances from SJPDP. At least I know the daily routine of the Frances as I walked it in 2015 but I would really prefer to start in Le Puy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
April 5th!!!! Luxury! (As said in the Four Yorkshiremen sketch, Monty Python).

I've been given a month off by the lady in my life,. After 46yrs of marriage, I should have asked for more but, as I'll be walking with the intention of raising money for a Prostate Cancer charity, and as March is Prostate Cancer awareness month, I fly into Bilbao on 28th Feb and hopefully catch a bus to Pamplona where I will start my personal 'March for Men' Camino the following day.

After a winter training in the UK I'm sure that Spain will do it's best to trump the weather we endure during those dark months but I doubt they'll get me wetter or colder.

Nevertheless, whenever you decide to get on that trail, have a good one

Le Puy ... begin walking ... on April 5.
You are right to be cautious, but with adequate preparation this is do-able. Miam Miam Dodo lists accommodations, with their opening dates and contact info. Many open on Easter (which falls on April 21 next year) or the week before. But others are open earlier. Lay out your itinerary, and get cracking with the emails requesting reservations. Then you will know what's available at that time.
Weather is changeable at that time of year - can vary from warm spring days to the occasional late snow. You'll want layers, weatherproofs, poles, and devices for checking the weather forecasts. Plan rest days into your schedule, so you can lay over an extra night if bad weather passes through.

TL;DR - doable, needs extra preparation, caution is good

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You are right to be cautious, but with adequate preparation this is do-able. Miam Miam Dodo lists accommodations, with their opening dates and contact info. Many open on Easter (which falls on April 21 next year) or the week before. But others are open earlier. Lay out your itinerary, and get cracking with the emails requesting reservations. Then you will know what's available at that time.
Weather is changeable at that time of year - can vary from warm spring days to the occasional late snow. You'll want layers, weatherproofs, poles, and devices for checking the weather forecasts. Plan rest days into your schedule, so you can lay over an extra night if bad weather passes through.

TL;DR - doable, needs extra preparation, caution is good
Thanks for the advice.

I've been given a month off by the lady in my life,. After 46yrs of marriage, I should have asked for more but, as I'll be walking with the intention of raising money for a Prostate Cancer charity, and as March is Prostate Cancer awareness month, I fly into Bilbao on 28th Feb and hopefully catch a bus to Pamplona where I will start my personal 'March for Men' Camino the following day.

After a winter training in the UK I'm sure that Spain will do it's best to trump the weather we endure during those dark months but I doubt they'll get me wetter or colder.

Thanks Derek. Enjoy your walk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We did Le Puy to Pamplona starting mid April 2017. It was FANTASTIC! Yes we had some snow falling on 5-6 days and one heavy blizzard in the Albrac. You just have to be sensible and stop for a day if need be. We generally had wonderful weather for walking, no worries about accommodation, masses of wild flowers and orchids, and we met many many wonderful French people who welcomed us and helped at every turn. So just have some waterproof gloves and a beanie and go for it!!!!

Lay out your itinerary, and get cracking with the emails requesting reservations. Then you will know what's available at that time.
I would just add that in addition to emailing for reservations, I would suggest an email to the Le Puy Bureau of Tourism (contact-tourisme@lepuyenvelay.fr) asking the same question about what accomodations will be open for the beginning part of your itinerary.

The earliest I have hiked on this route (starting from Aumont-Aubrac) was the first week of May and I had no problems with accomodations. But it was almost a month a month after your start date. I should also mention that it snowed the night after I descended from the higher elevations of the Aubrac Plateau.

Tom

We started this route on 30 April and had 5 days of snow in the Aubrac, deep enough to cover the route marks. Also had 13 days of rain. A wonderful trip, as we were prepared with raingear, fleece pants, navigation skills, etc. Go but be prepared.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We did Le Puy to Pamplona starting mid April 2017. It was FANTASTIC! Yes we had some snow falling on 5-6 days and one heavy blizzard in the Albrac. You just have to be sensible and stop for a day if need be. We generally had wonderful weather for walking, no worries about accommodation, masses of wild flowers and orchids, and we met many many wonderful French people who welcomed us and helped at every turn. So just have some waterproof gloves and a beanie and go for it!!!!

Thanks for the info Tim. Did you have to phone ahead to reserve your accommodation?

Did you have to phone ahead to reserve your accommodation?
You will see this recommendation to reserve ahead elsewhere in the Le Puy section of the forum. Why? Several reasons:

It's courtesy. There may be just one or two other people staying where you'd like to stay and the proprietor has to shop and then prepare the evening meal. (You will probably need to opt for demi-pension for most of your April hike unless you choose to stay in a hotel when you pass through the larger towns like Aumont Aubrac, Conques, Figeac, Cahors etc.) That person needs a headcount in advance.

It "authenticates" you as a real person. Some people make email reservations and sometimes do not bother to cancel them. A telephone call a day or two in advance means that you are close and much more likely to show up. I have had the small accomodation in Finieyrols ask me for a deposit when I reserved by email in advance of my trip. I wound up sending a 20 Euro note by mail to them because wiring a deposit was expensive (though it may be done at far less cost by EU residents).

The last reason I reserve in advance is because I can speak French fairly well and there's no language barrier for me. I first used a French mobile phone which I bought prior to my first Le Puy adventure. Now I sometimes use my U.S. mobile phone using Skype credit. The latter requires a wi-fi connection - now becoming more and more available.

Bon chemin.

Tom

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Derek you try and tell that to the young people today and they won’t believe you!

On April 6, 2018 my friend and I started in Le Puy en Velay and hiked to Moissac (250 miles, 400km) arriving on April 24th. We stayed in gîtes, except for one night at the St. Foy Monastery in Conques.
We always booked a gîte that offered demi-pension so we'd be sure to have a hot dinner meal. We liked joining the other hikers also. We never had a problem finding a bed at a gîte, but we got the last two beds at several places. So, booking one night ahead is the best plan.
We had lunch in a restaurant/bar only 5 days out of 20 days hiking. The first place had only omelettes on the menu, and the second, a bar, had only pizza. The last three (St.-Côme-d'Olt, Cahors, & Montcuq) were in larger towns and had more typical French menus.
The day we arrived in the town of Aubrac, we had walked 5 hours to cover 20 km on the trail. We had light, driving rain for hour and half, then sleet for half an hour at 1 deg. C. We didn't get cold since we had warm clothes and rain gear.
If the Aubrac plateau is snow covered, or the forecast is for heavy snow, you might consider starting in St.-Côme-d'Olt, and skip the first 6 days from Le Puy. That part was a little difficult, but also required warm clothes that we only needed those 6 days.
Joe

This is a great time to walk from Le Puy, as long as you are prepared for an assortment of weather. I set off on 2nd April 2018, and walked for 29 days, wearing shorts on 27 days, but paired with an insulated rain jacket for at least part of nine or ten days. The Aubrac in week one is wonderfully bleak and exposed, so can be windy as well as cold. I encountered some lying snow and was peppered with hail and sleet, but it was thrillingly beautiful and I wouldn't have wanted to miss it.

Most accommodation is available from early April though, as other posters note, one or two only open from Easter. Most days I waited until lunchtime to call ahead and reserve a bed, so I knew how far my legs might be happy to go. I stayed mainly in Gite d'Etapes with 'demi pension', or in the few pilgrim association run former abbeys/carmelites. I reserved further ahead for my two nights in Le Puy and 24 hours ahead if there was only one sensible option. Figeac can be busy with hikers setting out on other routes, so worth booking ahead there too. The only place I had to resort to a more expensive hotel was in SJPdP, which was very busy.
The walking can be strenuous, with much up and down in the first two weeks particularly. Useful to have a few French phrases but, with encouragement, many French speakers know a fair bit of English. And don't miss the pilgrim masses in Le Puy (very early!) and in the evening in Conques Abbey. The latter I found very moving. The monks' chanting had a profound spiritual impact on me.

Enjoy your adventure on the Via Podiensis!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I too, loved the evening organ/light performance at the Abbey in Conques! The ending, much to my surprise, was a rendition of "The House of the Rising Sun", which was amazing!

Yesterday I booked flights to Paris then I go to Le Puy to begin walking to Pamplona on April 5. I’m slightly nervous about walking this time of year due to weather conditions (if there is snow will it be unsafe) and availability of accommodation. I would appreciate any advice and opinions of anyone having experience of walking at this time of year. If it’s not advisable to walk at this time of the year I’ll change plans and walk the Camino Frances from SJPDP. At least I know the daily routine of the Frances as I walked it in 2015 but I would really prefer to start in Le Puy.
Crossing over the Aubrac plateau in late May we experienced some cold, wet, miserable weather and a very squishy and, at times, a poorly marked trail. I don’t know if I’d want to do that bit in early April. If you get there and there’s a forecast for snow and wind, be cautious as it’s a wide open terrain with little shelter and it would be easy to lose the trail with snow cover and reduced visibility.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back