• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Le Puy August 14th ?

SSAY

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy / Camino del Norte / Camino Primitivo
Hi Pilgrims !

I am going to start my camino from Le Puy August 14th to reach SJPP.
My expectations are then to connect SJPP to Irun and walk Camino del Norte + Primitivo.
I am French man, walking alone, interested to meet foreigners on my way ! So I could talk in english (or Japanese why not !?). I guess Le Puy to SJPP is the less international part of the hike and perhaps a bit difficult to organize for non french speakers... So everybody, if any questions, please feel free to ask, perhaps I could help you !?

So on my side I would sleep all kind of accomodations, mostly hiking and pilgrim lodges or even wild campsites because I will bring my own tent. It will basically depend of weather, accomodations avaibilities (seems to be a crowded time) and my mood too... I don't have really already plan it.

Ok, if you are starting same day than me, let me know it could me great to know you!
I will arrive by train to Le Puy the day before.

Buen Camino !
S.Say

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Bon chemin. The Chemin du Puy seems a bit more intimidating on this Forum because the Forum is focused on Spain. Because there are fewer English speaking pilgrims on the Chemin, some ability in French makes it a lot easier. You will be a valued asset to the French-language-impaired! I know that I have almost always been able to get language assistance when needed. I hope you will have a lot of fun and meet interesting people; I always have.

Thanks ! Yes, it seems not so many English speaking pilgrims walk this route... But landscapes are stunning in Central France and it's remote country side area, great to feel real local french atmosphere and people ! Welcome on this route :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is very different to the camino in Spain, in atmosphere, landscape and the local culture. So you will love doing the Le Puy route and then moving into Spain as well - so interesting. A bit of French does help in France, just some basics, the sort you find in phrasebooks, carry a couple of pages with you of the most useful essential phrases. You can do a lot with sign language as well. Everyone is so friendly, you will have a great time. The hosts in the accommodation will also be willing to make phone calls for you, to book ahead, which is very helpful if your French is limited. Your tent will probably be handy too, as the accommodation tends to be more expensive and is also popular with the French non-pilgrims - they are great outdoor walkers on the trails, and can take up a lot of the beds along the way.
Bon Chemin.
Maggie Ramsay

Edited by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
We absolutely loved the Le Puy route - so much that we went back a second time. Our totally hopeless French was no impediment to having a good time - the locals and the other pilgrims were friendly and very kind.

@SSAY we've just finished walking the Norte and it is also beautiful. You are in for a treat!

Hi S Say, I'm starting the camino from Le Puy on August 18th - arrive in Le Puy on Monday 17th (from Australia). I speak English and Portuguese (as I'm originally from Brazil) and some basic French. You may catch up with me as I don't walk super fast :) I'll walk all the way to SJPP but no further - from there I return to Paris to board my flight back to Australia. Are you going to keep a blog? I'd love to follow you :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi S Say, I'm starting the camino from Le Puy on August 18th - arrive in Le Puy on Monday 17th (from Australia). I speak English and Portuguese (as I'm originally from Brazil) and some basic French. You may catch up with me as I don't walk super fast :) I'll walk all the way to SJPP but no further - from there I return to Paris to board my flight back to Australia. Are you going to keep a blog? I'd love to follow you :)
Bonjour Aussieval !
Very happy to know we will walk same route and so very close departure dates !
Ahah, but you will start from Le Puy few days after me in fact, It's you who will catch up with me :D Basically I guess I will not walk more than 20km per day and I also have a desire to get some "days off" during my pilgrimage.
Oh sorry I don't have plan to keep a blog... Will you ?
I seriously think accommodations will be a bit crowded this period, mostly until Conques, because it's heart of summer holiday in France and the 15th is national holiday of course too. And specially it's Black Virgin procession in Le Puy.
OK, if you need any informations about France pls ask :)
Keep in touch

Hello SSAY, thanks for your reply! We may meet on the trail, it depends how fast I walk and how slow you go... :) I do intend to keep a blog, so this would be a way for you to know whether or not you'll see me... If you send me your email or a private message I can send you my blog address (sorry I haven't worked out how to send a private message in this forum yet, otherwise i'd do it). You got me worried re accommodation, I haven't booked anything yet, but was planning to book for the first day in Le Puy only! I didn't know 15th August was a holiday! excuse my ignorance but what national holiday is this?? :) And what is this black virgin procession in le puy? are you referring to the same national holiday, is it on Aug 15th? anyway, as you can see, i haven't done my homework or research yet... under the pump at work to be able to take the time off for this pilgrimage in the first place :)

August the 15th is the Assumption day !!! Le Puy is famous for processions in the city this day and the night before. Here link for Holy virgin (black one) http://www.cathedraledupuy.org/Fetes-de-l-Assomption_a1185.html and an other one to see super crowded street http://mon43.fr/actualite-47752-le-puy-en-velay-le-programme-des-celebrations-du-15-aout.html
Anyway don't worry too much about accommodations booking. Myself I only have booked my first arrival night in Le Puy. I will live day by day after :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
thanks ssay, have booked my first 3 nights: le puy (hotel-gite les capucins), montbonnet (gite l'escole), and monistrol (gite la tsabone). feel a little more relaxed now, from there onwards I'll try and book a day or two ahead… Thanks for the links about the assumption day in le puy! it seems like a huge celebration! i'm glad i'm arriving a couple of days later and have already made a reservation :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back