• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Lisbon in October

robproct

Time of past OR future Camino
CP from Lisbon 2018
I'm arriving Lisbon on October 6th and plan to leave a couple of days later. Some of the long 33km sections look rather daunting. This is my first Camino so its quite exciting. I'm now 77yo and my body is not as fit as it was 20 years ago.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, @robproct,
Welcome to the forum! I moved your post out of the thread on the Caminho Portugues Interior, which I don’t think you will be walking. For some more information on some ways to shorten some of those early stages from Lisbon, look at these resources. One is a guide made by forum members, and the other is a short document giving ideas on breaking up the early stages. The only problem is that it is quite a bit out of date, because there are new places poppping up all the time.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/short-stages-from-lisbon-to-porto.133/

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/camino-portugués-lisbon-porto-2017.517/.

This is the most updated list I know of as far as albergues and lodging go.

http://www.vialusitana.org/caminho-portugues/albergues/.

And one last thing, you should make sure to have the Via Lusitana´s SOS pilgrim phone number. It works 24 hours a day, and people speak English. From inside Portugal call 915 595 213
(The Via Lusitana is a Lisbon-based camino association. They run an albergue in Alpriate, about 20 km from the cathedral, but I think it may close for the season at the end of September. I am not sure, but will try to find out. Bom caminho! Laurie

Hi Laurie, Thats so helpful many thinks. 20km on the first day would be quite enough for me so an albergue in Alpirate would be a good start for the first day. Cheers, rob.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Laurie, I have downloaded the new Harms guidebook which seem to be excellent and should be quite up to date too I hope

I’ve downloaded the Wise Pilgrim App (and the Wisely Pilgrim App - which has the accompanying off-line maps). They look comprehensive. I saw that the paper 2019 guide is coming out soon, but I think too late for you.

I have downloaded the apps too but I think it was the Wise Pilgrim only starts at Oporto. I can’t work out how to add my pic??

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Laurie, Thats so helpful many thinks. 20km on the first day would be quite enough for me so an albergue in Alpirate would be a good start for the first day. Cheers, rob.
Hi, Rob,
I am going to ask my friends at Via Lusitana about dates of operation for Alpriate this year because I just don’t know how late it is open.

Olá.
Alpriate will be open at least till October 19.
We might keep it open for a week more, till the 26th, if there are still pilgrims wanting to stay there. I mean 2 or 3 a day, not 1 or 2 per week.

@robproct the Wise Pilgrim and Wisely Pilgrim (the offline map accompaniment ) start from Lisbon.
They are guides, not blogging apps - so not designed for you to add anything.

If you want a blogging app, somewhere to add photos and notes as you go, my recommendation is the FindPenguins app. Lots of fun to use.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Olá.
We might keep it open for a week more, till the 26th, if there are still pilgrims wanting to stay there. I mean 2 or 3 a day, not 1 or 2 per week.

That is great news, José Luis,

To anyone starting from Lisbon, I would highly recommend a first night stop in Alpriate. It’s a little village with a café that serves good, filling, home-made food.

When the albergue is not open, there is a house in town that offers a room with two beds for 30 euros. You can ask about it in the bar. To get to the bar, coming into town the albergue is right on the camino. The café is a little further on and around the corner. The bar owners will also help you if you need a taxi,etc.

José Luis tells me that there have been more than 1000 pilgrims in Alpriate this year. Huge growth on the Caminho Portugués from Lisbon.

I have downloaded the apps too but I think it was the Wise Pilgrim only starts at Oporto. I can’t work out how to add my pic??
Incidentally MapsMe is a great app, better than GoogleMaps. I wonder if it shows the Camino?
Olá.

Thanks for the info. That's good to hear. I expect to arrive there late on October 9th.

Met quite a few people who walked from Lisbon over the past few weeks , I walked the Central from porto. They said by comparison the Lisbon to Porto route involves quite a lot of road walking and found it much tougher than the Porto to Santiago leg. So it's probably best to go easy on yourself and don't try to cover much each day.I highly recommend the central route from Porto it just gets more and more beautiful.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Does anyone know where one can store a bag in Lisbon. I’m staying in an apartment which doesn’t have that facility. Starting Camino on the 9th and will be returning here after STDC.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back