• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Lisbon on Fri 18 July

CalJames

This walk has been a dream of mine, now it is just ahead of me and I find myself nervous!
Is there anyone out there who would walk a few miles with me from Lisbon to Oporto, starting on or around this Friday, 18 July, just to help me find my feet and my confidence?
Would so appreciate it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good luck finding a Forum member. When you get there, you are likely to find other pilgrims who can help. Start with a map or guide that will help you get out of Lisbon. There are threads in the Forum with guidance.

Have fun!!

This walk has been a dream of mine, now it is just ahead of me and I find myself nervous!
Is there anyone out there who would walk a few miles with me from Lisbon to Oporto, starting on or around this Friday, 18 July, just to help me find my feet and my confidence?
Would so appreciate it.
Start at the Sé cathedral. At the entrance at the right corner you'll find the first yellow arrow and follow the arrows. It is very easy to find your way out of Lisbon

I'd like to join you, however I am just back home from the camiño

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi James...I'm arriving into Lisbon from Dublin on Thursday...probably around 2pm by the time I get from the airport. I am very last minute, with my planning, but after reading forum last night, o was abit put off the Lisbon part of route. I didn't plan to leave till Monday, as shame not to get to beaches for me when in Lisbon, but around to meet u for coffee if u like.. I may skip the 'bit' alot of people have mentioned, so could bump into you along the route. Have u any place booked. Is there anyplace near Se.

Nerves... Make it all worth it once you start walking!! I'm staring at my unpacked rucksack, with the usual dilemma over sleeping bag...or no sleeping bag, rain trousers or no rain trousers etc....

Sent from my LT26i using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Hi Aisling, thanks for your reply, I have now decided to start from Porto instead, it just looks more user friendly for a first timer! There are threads in this forum about places to stay and I did look at a few hostels in Lisbon. Gook luck and bom camino.

I stayed in an 'airb&b' place in Lisbon. You may be able to find something here.
Bom caminho to you both.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I stayed in an 'airb&b' place in Lisbon. You may be able to find something here.
Bom caminho to you both.
As we did. 50 meters from the Sé cathedral . Bario Alfama. Great place. Hugo was the landlord.

Last edited:
Hi Aisling, thanks for your reply, I have now decided to start from Porto instead, it just looks more user friendly for a first timer! There are threads in this forum about places to stay and I did look at a few hostels in Lisbon. Gook luck and bom camino.
We were firsttimers last year but there were no objections starting from Lisbon. It points out itself. We found out everything ourselves(with help from this forum) and solved the problems too .
No bother at all

Now since this year everything can be arranged by a group of albergues by picking up service , starting at the first albergue you meet up in Santarèm They help you further to the next.

We walked the camiño Ingles this year and stepped into the "unknown" and it was a great experience, everywhere we found a place to sleep, something to eat . It is the camiño and the camiño provides I read somewhere on this forum

Up to the next caminho next year.

Bom caminho

Hi James...I'm arriving into Lisbon from Dublin on Thursday...probably around 2pm by the time I get from the airport. I am very last minute, with my planning, but after reading forum last night, o was abit put off the Lisbon part of route. I didn't plan to leave till Monday, as shame not to get to beaches for me when in Lisbon, but around to meet u for coffee if u like.. I may skip the 'bit' alot of people have mentioned, so could bump into you along the route. Have u any place booked. Is there anyplace near Se.

Nerves... Make it all worth it once you start walking!! I'm staring at my unpacked rucksack, with the usual dilemma over sleeping bag...or no sleeping bag, rain trousers or no rain trousers etc....

Sent from my LT26i using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

On the Portugese you do not need a sleeping bag Just a silk sleeping liner suits andeventually a fleece vest you can keep on during the night when it is chilly.

Funny word "rucksack". It is a Dutch word and we write it as " rugzak"

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On the Portugese you do not need a sleeping bag Just a silk sleeping liner suits andeventually a fleece vest you can keep on during the night when it is chilly.

Funny word "rucksack". It is a Dutch word and we write it as " rugzak"
Rucksack is indeed a very strange word for the English to use because a "ruck" in London parlance is a "fight". So a rucksack might be a sack that you have a fight in or with.

Rucksack is indeed a very strange word for the English to use because a "ruck" in London parlance is a "fight". So a rucksack might be a sack that you have a fight in or with.
In fact caminhar is a fight. The heavy thing on your back all the time so this word isn't as bad as it seemed

Hi albertinho

Apologies I completely lost where I had originally answered to caljames and then u answered to me..
Really helpful, as I got ur advice On sleeping bag as I left for airport, so it was promptly thrown out of my bag. I am carrying less this year than say on Camino Frances, but have an annoying shoulder problem so feeling it more. Presently sitting in cafe in santarem. Met a group briefly On the atreet setting off from lisbon last Friday, but no one since then.

Got a Portuguese SIM, so life easier now I have internet when I need it, or to make a call to a local number, if/when the time requires.
I walked from Se to oriente..and then from oriente to Vila de franca, but today got train and on a hunch got off at santarem. Accommodation options in azambuja seemed expensive and limited from the guides. Anbyways thank u for your advise... Much appreciated. Aisling

We were firsttimers last year but there were no objections starting from Lisbon. It points out itself. We found out everything ourselves(with help from this forum) and solved the problems too .
No bother at all

Now since this year everything can be arranged by a group of albergues by picking up service , starting at the first albergue you meet up in Santarèm They help you further to the next.

We walked the camiño Ingles this year and stepped into the "unknown" and it was a great experience, everywhere we found a place to sleep, something to eat . It is the camiño and the camiño provides I read somewhere on this forum

Up to the next caminho next year

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Aisling. In Santarèm is an excellent albergue Ask for the tourist info and just a street behind is the albergue
If you go their give Mario ,the man in charge :) our regards
Bom caminho

Last edited:
Also Mario at the Santarem Hostel is awesome. He can give you a list of the other hostels north of Santarem that all communicate with each other and do pick ups etc.

Well about 2 minutes after sending that mail, 'camimo' luck called and I am now staying I'm a 2 room case for 5 Euro run for pilgrims in the centre and their are 3 Italian cyclists and 1 Hungarian girl who is walking. Little kitchen and beautiful bed.. Hotel like...not expecting this at all. I got the email for how to stay here and will post it later. Thank u again... I had been trying to ring Mario, but never was ringing out, or maybe I wasn't doing the dialing correct as it was my first call. I'll attach photos here, in case anyone else is on the way, although Mario sounds like a pure gentleman. Also this place only has 6 beds, in 3 rooms and is known by Fatima pilgrims.

Attachments

• 1405976481464.jpg
    1405976481464.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 1405976501718.jpg
    1405976501718.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 1405976518669.jpg
    1405976518669.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 7
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Apologies for all the typos... Autocorrect tends to mess things up one!

Well about 2 minutes after sending that mail, 'camimo' luck called and I am now staying I'm a 2 room case for 5 Euro run for pilgrims in the centre and their are 3 Italian cyclists and 1 Hungarian girl who is walking. Little kitchen and beautiful bed.. Hotel like...not expecting this at all. I got the email for how to stay here and will post it later. Thank u again... I had been trying to ring Mario, but never was ringing out, or maybe I wasn't doing the dialing correct as it was my first call. I'll attach photos here, in case anyone else is on the way, although Mario sounds like a pure gentleman. Also this place only has 6 beds, in 3 rooms and is known by Fatima pilgrims.
Brierley talks about this option in his guide camino Portuges

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back