A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Starting from Madrid by bike 19 April

RedBike

Camino(s) past & future
French Route SJPDP (2004, 2007). From Granada - part of (2009)
I'm an aging cyclist from Australia starting in Madrid. I have booked myself 2 night at a hotel in Barajas near the airport and will set off by bike on Friday 19th April. Travelling by bike is great until you have to deal with huge airports which are difficut to access on foot or by bike. In fact my google searches suggested I can't be done except by talking a train, bus or metro to another station first. However careful study of google street view shows covered walkways to get you across the tangle of roads. Its only about 1.5km! Is anybody else setting of about this time either on foot or bike? My plan is to go at a very leisurely pace. ie around 30km stages per day sounds good!

marjude

Camino(s) past & future
4/2011 VdlP,
4/2014 Rota Vincentina, Portugues.
4/2016 Aragones, Frances.
4/2019 Madrid, Frances
Hi Redbike, I’m also from Australia and starting my walk from Madrid on April 5th, I know it’s well before you but no one else has answered your query. I will be doing some fairly short days and taking a few rest days to have a good look around so we may cross paths but if not I hope you have a great Camino. Are you continuing along the Frances route after Sahagun.
Buen Camino judy.

RedBike

Camino(s) past & future
Great to get your comment Judy. You are starting 2 weeks ahead of me, but I'm on a bike so have the potential to progress a bit quicker. I might even catch you at some point.
I have previously done the French route from St. Jean PdP. In 2004 solo by bike (far too quickly) and 2007 on foot with my wife which was better. We also walked parts of Routa Mozarabe from Granada - Casceres in 2009.
However, now in my 70's and going solo, I didnt feel confident doing those fairly long stages on foot, especially as it seems to be quite a lonely route.
But - I am taking a "disposable" bike and a rucksack so I have the option of becoming a walker if I choose. I really enjoy the social aspect of the Camino.

Very Best Wishes to you Judy and I hope you can keep us all posted about your experiences.

RedBike

Camino(s) past & future
I'm an aging cyclist from Australia starting in Madrid. I have booked myself 2 night at a hotel in Barajas near the airport and will set off by bike on Friday 19th April. Travelling by bike is great until you have to deal with huge airports which are difficut to access on foot or by bike. In fact my google searches suggested I can't be done except by talking a train, bus or metro to another station first. However careful study of google street view shows covered walkways to get you across the tangle of roads. Its only about 1.5km! Is anybody else setting of about this time either on foot or bike? My plan is to go at a very leisurely pace. ie around 30km stages per day sounds good!
Attended mass and got my first sello today at Real Iglesia Parroquial de Santiago y San Juan Bautista. It was standing room only and a fantastic atmosphere! So many families kids and young people! Colmenar Viejo tomorrow by bike. Hope the rain eased off.

marjude

Camino(s) past & future
4/2011 VdlP,
4/2014 Rota Vincentina, Portugues.
4/2016 Aragones, Frances.
4/2019 Madrid, Frances
Buen Camino, Red Bike b

RedBike

Camino(s) past & future
Recent rain has made the track very muddy. Impossible to ride and difficult to even walk in places at the beginning.
I would recommend the Ruta Verde alongside the main road for anyone with a bike or even for walking until the ground dries out. I got off the Camino as soon as possible.
I think Autumn is probably a better option than spring. Without the mud it would have been lovely.
Now in Clomenar Viejo at the Gran Hostal El Chisco. Fabulous! After a very tough 7 hour ride from Madrid.

Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
Recent rain has made the track very muddy. Impossible to ride and difficult to even walk in places at the beginning.
I would recommend the Ruta Verde alongside the main road for anyone with a bike or even for walking until the ground dries out. I got off the Camino as soon as possible.
I think Autumn is probably a better option than spring. Without the mud it would have been lovely.
Now in Clomenar Viejo at the Gran Hostal El Chisco. Fabulous! After a very tough 7 hour ride from Madrid.
Just checked the forecast. Looks good for the next 9 days; improving, partial sun, and rising temeratures.

Buen Camino!

RedBike

Camino(s) past & future
My departure from Segovia delayed for a day because of severe weather warning. High winds and snow. Not as bad as it sounds...gave me time to research the via Verde. 75 km in the right direction, YES! ;)

RedBike

Camino(s) past & future
My final day on the Redbike was over the mountain from Astorga to Ponferrada, about 60km for the day. I was surprise I arrived in quite good shape! The training over the past 2 weeks from Madrid obviously paid off. I donated the bike to the barman at Ponferrada bus station and now on my way home by bus, trains and planes. But I did buy a new credencial at the albergue .. for next time :)

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: Francés, Inglés, Fisterra/Muxia, Baztan, Primitivo, Norte, Portugués. Future: Madrid (2019)
Well done, @RedBike and thanks for sharing your Camino with us. Wishing you a safe journey home.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 146 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 245 25.0%