• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Madrid - where would you go through?

b344433

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi pilgrims,

I want to start walking on Camino de Madrid circa beginning of September (Don't have my airplane tickets yet, but somewhere around the 5th-7th I think?)
I want to walk all the way to Santiago (not only Sahagun). I also want to minimize my time on CF.

Options:
- CF for Sahagun->Santiago.
- CF for Sahagun->Ponferrada. then camino invierno.
- CF for Sahagun->Leon. then connect to camino salvador and primitivo.
- IDK? Can I connect to VDLP from camino Madrid before Sahagun and avoid CF entirely (but not walk the entire CdM)?

I slightly dislike the salvador-primitivo option just because it "extends" in a non-natural way, although it should be the most beautiful and I might end up going for this anyway, it feels slightly "irrational" to take the such a de-tour.

Any thoughts from your experience? any recommendations?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did the Madrid Camino in May 2019 and loved it. (See my YouTube video). If I do it again (and I plan to) I would continue to Leon and do the San Salvador/Primitivo routes. I would also recommend staying in downtown Madrid an extra night. I walked to the edge of the city and took the subway back downtown on the first day of my walk. Then I took the subway back to that same spot the next morning and was on my way. If you have the time, stay an extra day in Segovia - well worth it!

Yeah, also Madrid Zoo (panda lives there) is a great place to visit. It's a walking distance from the downtown, through a beautiful park.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My wife and I are heading out in September to do the Camino Madrid but we are going to start in Ucles. So, it'll be Camino Ucles to Camino Madrid to Frances to Invierno to Santiago. I've already done the Salvador and Primitivo and both are fantastic. From what I've read, Invierno sounds great also and, so, can't go wrong either way. I'd do what ever makes the most sense this time and then comeback for the other, later.

Hello B!

One way to avoid the CF entirely is to leave the Camino de Madrid in Puente de Duero (a few km before Valladolid) and then follow the Senda del Duero / GR 14 to Zamora via Tordesillas, Castronuño and Toro.

In Castronuño you will also join the Camino de Levante and you can follow the yellow arrows to Zamora instead of the red and white stripes of the GR 14.

In Zamora you will join the Vía de la Plata. Three stages further on in Granja de Moreruela you leave the Vía de la Plata and follow the Camino Sanabrés to Santiago.

The Senda del Duero / GR 14 is very well signposted (better than Caminos); http://www.lasendadelduero.com/rutas-por-el-duero/sendero-gr-14/ (see stages 15 to 18). But it has the disadvantage of "hugging" the Duero where a straighter path would be shorter. For that reason you may want to follow the Camino de Levante from Castronuño to Zamora.

I hope that does not sound too complicated! I attach a map which will hopefully help you.

Buen camino!

Attachments

• Carte-via-de-la-plata copie.jpg
    Carte-via-de-la-plata copie.jpg
    577.3 KB · Views: 101
I did the Madrid Camino in May 2019 and loved it. (See my YouTube video). If I do it again (and I plan to) I would continue to Leon and do the San Salvador/Primitivo routes. I would also recommend staying in downtown Madrid an extra night. I walked to the edge of the city and took the subway back downtown on the first day of my walk. Then I took the subway back to that same spot the next morning and was on my way. If you have the time, stay an extra day in Segovia - well worth it!
We did the Madrid Camino in October to mid November in 2019. We saw one couple once in all that time. Places were closed which made days longer. Glad we did it but I'm not sure we'd do it again.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not to mention two weeks later we both got really sick, coughing hard to breathe. We proceeded to pass it on to both sides of the family. Of course know one new about covid then.

Last edited:
We did the Madrid Camino in October to mid November in 2019. We saw one couple once in all that time. Places were closed which made days longer. Glad we did it but I'm not sure we'd do it again.
Spring is perhaps better because of all the wildflowers. I didn’t meet many pilgrims and that was good for me - lots of time for reflection.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In the fall of 2019 I walked the second option: the Madrid to the Frances to the Invierno to Santiago. The air was full of dust on the Madrid north of Segovia (farmers cultivating their dry fields) and it rained nearly non-stop on my time on the Invierno. However, the scenery and meetings with locals were rewarding on both routes. From reading posts about the Madrid, fall (or late spring) may still be the best time to walk it, as the deep snow in Fuenfria Pass melts very late in the spring. I liked the feeling of taking a direct route to Santiago and was comfortable with the larger numbers of pilgrims on the section on the Frances. There is no problem walking from central Madrid to Tres Cantos (23km) on your first day if you are not eager to do the back and forth on the subway system to get out of downtown.

Hello B!

One way to avoid the CF entirely is to leave the Camino de Madrid in Puente de Duero (a few km before Valladolid) and then follow the Senda del Duero / GR 14 to Zamora via Tordesillas, Castronuño and Toro.

In Castronuño you will also join the Camino de Levante and you can follow the yellow arrows to Zamora instead of the red and white stripes of the GR 14.

In Zamora you will join the Vía de la Plata. Three stages further on in Granja de Moreruela you leave the Vía de la Plata and follow the Camino Sanabrés to Santiago.

The Senda del Duero / GR 14 is very well signposted (better than Caminos); http://www.lasendadelduero.com/rutas-por-el-duero/sendero-gr-14/ (see stages 15 to 18). But it has the disadvantage of "hugging" the Duero where a straighter path would be shorter. For that reason you may want to follow the Camino de Levante from Castronuño to Zamora.

I hope that does not sound too complicated! I attach a map which will hopefully help you.

Buen camino!
Wow, this is amazing!

It seems like this should be the most obvious way to walk from Madrid - it's almost the most "direct" one that's for sure!
Should I find pilgrim's accommodation in this "shortcut"?
With Gronze I see in Puente de Duero and Zamora, but nothing in Castronuño, Toro and Tordesillas.
I also assume that in the Albergue in Puente de Duero I could get further and updated information.

--
I realize it's not a decision I need to make now.
What I'll do is mark all those on MapsMe, then I could decide based on how I feel when walking.

Generally I estimated around 5 weeks for Madrid -> Santiago -> Finisterre. I think it's reasonable and leaves me enough flexibility. (In the worst case, I'll skip Finisterre. I already walked it multiple times)
What do you think?

I have some time-flexibility too, but sadly not enough to add Camino Ucles - although it looks amazing. I need to be in Portugal later in October. But here's to another camino on my "TO-WALK" list. *cheers*

In the fall of 2019 I walked the second option: the Madrid to the Frances to the Invierno to Santiago. The air was full of dust on the Madrid north of Segovia (farmers cultivating their dry fields) and it rained nearly non-stop on my time on the Invierno. However, the scenery and meetings with locals were rewarding on both routes. From reading posts about the Madrid, fall (or late spring) may still be the best time to walk it, as the deep snow in Fuenfria Pass melts very late in the spring. I liked the feeling of taking a direct route to Santiago and was comfortable with the larger numbers of pilgrims on the section on the Frances. There is no problem walking from central Madrid to Tres Cantos (23km) on your first day if you are not eager to do the back and forth on the subway system to get out of downtown.
Thanks! I'll need to face the dust then, as September is the only time I'll have in 2021. Hopefully the Covid-19 situation would also improve by then too.

I see that Tres Cantos has a Parish Pilgrim Albergue "Santa Teresa de Jesús" and also an Municipal (that is temporarily closed) - why do people bother taking the subway then? I don't really understand.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Invierno is a very special camino, so in your shoes I'd want to include it.

So here's another option, more direct than the Primativo option and still minimizing your days on the Frances:
CdM (Madrid-Sahagun)
Frances (Sahagun-Leon) 2-3 days
San Salvador (Leon-La Robla) 1 day
Olvidado (La Robla-Ponferrada) 6-8 days
Invierno (Ponferrada-Santiago) 8-12 days

Alvin, your video made my legs yearn for walking and my mind day-dream of yellow arrows ! Thanks !!

Thanks! I'll need to face the dust then, as September is the only time I'll have in 2021. Hopefully the Covid-19 situation would also improve by then too.

I see that Tres Cantos has a Parish Pilgrim Albergue "Santa Teresa de Jesús" and also an Municipal (that is temporarily closed) - why do people bother taking the subway then? I don't really understand.
There was no parish albergue when I walked that route, only a tiny municipal albergue, which had odd hours, as it was in the basement of a municipal building and pilgrims had to be out very early, before it opened. That albergue was closed, apparently permanently, when I walked through, so I ended up staying in an expensive hotel, there being no albergue option at the time. But there was some reasonably priced accommodation in town, only it had to be booked way in advance. As my plans changed at the last minute, I was not able to make advance bookings. After Tres Cantos, there were many inexpensive albergue options.

There was no parish albergue when I walked that route, only a tiny municipal albergue, which had odd hours, as it was in the basement of a municipal building and pilgrims had to be out very early, before it opened. That albergue was closed, apparently permanently, when I walked through, so I ended up staying in an expensive hotel, there being no albergue option at the time. But there was some reasonably priced accommodation in town, only it had to be booked way in advance. As my plans changed at the last minute, I was not able to make advance bookings. After Tres Cantos, there were many inexpensive albergue options.
Oh, I get it. Now according to Gronze there's the Parish place (parish places would always be my preferred option). I don't mind paying slightly more than the few euros I payed in CF. That's life :)
Generally, I dislike the idea of taking public transport, even if I'm back to the same spot. But that's me and I'm ok with myself.
Thanks!

So here's another option, more direct than the Primativo option and still minimizing your days on the Frances:
CdM (Madrid-Sahagun)
WOW, thank you so much!

Now I think I have 2 preferred options to choose from - your suggestion and the GR14 one suggested above. The GR14 one I think would be slightly shorter.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

We walked the Madrid in 2018. Here is a link to a youtube video to give some idea of what it looks like. We have walked both the Invierno and the Salvador + Primitivo and I don't think there is anything to choose between them except that the Salvador + Primitivo is longer (which is a plus, I think). Anyway, Buen Camino.

Hi pilgrims,

I want to start walking on Camino de Madrid circa beginning of September (Don't have my airplane tickets yet, but somewhere around the 5th-7th I think?)
I want to walk all the way to Santiago (not only Sahagun). I also want to minimize my time on CF.

Options:
- CF for Sahagun->Santiago.
- CF for Sahagun->Ponferrada. then camino invierno.
- CF for Sahagun->Leon. then connect to camino salvador and primitivo.
- IDK? Can I connect to VDLP from camino Madrid before Sahagun and avoid CF entirely (but not walk the entire CdM)?

I slightly dislike the salvador-primitivo option just because it "extends" in a non-natural way, although it should be the most beautiful and I might end up going for this anyway, it feels slightly "irrational" to take the such a de-tour.

Any thoughts from your experience? any recommendations?
I plan on re-walking the Madrid/San Salvador/Primitivo in the Fall. So my choice for you would be that option.

I also hope you post along the way.

CdM (Madrid-Sahagun)
This is a very appealing option that I’m going to consider for my next camino ( hopefully in May ).
I’ve been tossing up between VdlP and CdM and a little concerned that starting in Seville in May it may be too hot.
Does anyone have recent information on availability of albergues along these Caminos ?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

CdM (Madrid-Sahagun)
This looks like a wonderful option! Is there somewhere you would point me to get the tracks for the walk between La Robla - Ponferrada, as it seems to not be the 'official' route? Thank you - I leave from Madrid next week, very excited!

Is there somewhere you would point me to get the tracks for the walk between La Robla - Ponferrada,
Hi, @amy374,

La Robla to Ponferrada is on the Camino Olvidado, which is a route that goes from Bilbao to near Ponferrada. It actually merges with the Francés in Cacabelos, but many people walking the Olvidado get off the official route for the last day and “drop down directly” to Ponferrada. You can see the stages, tracks, etc. on this website.

Not to confuse things too much, when you look at the stages you will see that La Robla is on an alternative stage of the Olvidado. It was the official route years ago, but the association has now marked an absolutely wonderful mountain alternative that does not go through La Robla. But the day from León to La Robla is a nice enough day, and would allow you to stay off the Francés till Ponferrada.

Indeed, Segovia is lovely

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello B!

Buen camino!
Eamann -- I'm walking the Camino de Madrid starting at the end of August, and am thinking of avoiding the Camino frances, opting to deviate via Zamora and then along the Sanabres. I would be off the official camino for 2-3 days. What is the albergue situation along the Senda del Duero, in places like Tordesillas? For some reason, gronze.com doesn't list any albergues for the Levante Camino on the final stretch to Zamora. Presumably, there are some affordable options there too?

Another option for me would be to start not in Madrid, but in Toledo and follow the Levante up to Zamora and then the Sanabres a few days later.....Any thoughts on that one? I'm familiar with the Sanabres from having walked the via de la Plata a few years ago, but don't know anything about the Levante.

For some reason, gronze.com doesn't list any albergues for the Levante Camino on the final stretch to Zamora. Presumably, there are some affordable options there too?
Gronze doesn’t have any Levante info other than the names of the towns along the way. There is a note at the top saying (my translation) “guide pending.” There are actually a fair number of albergues and I think the most up to date resource is the online guide of the Camino Association in Valencia. Go to their main web page, you can click the flag for English, then click on Levante, and you will get a stage by stage overview, with walking instructions, accommodations (albergues and private), etc.

@JLWV is a member of the association and an active member of the forum, so if you have specific questions that we can’t answer here, when he checks in, he’ll probably be able to provide an answer. It’s a great route, I walked from Valencia and would do it again if I ever have the time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That’s exactly what @OzAnnie did, though her camino was interrupted by covid. Two threads, one from Toledo to Tiñosillas, the other for the rest of the way from Tiñosillas.
That’s exactly what @OzAnnie did, though her camino was interrupted by covid. Two threads, one from Toledo to Tiñosillas, the other for the rest of the way from Tiñosillas.
Thanks for the links!
Thanks! There is a lot of good info in those threads. As of now, I'm thinking of starting in Toledo and following the Levante up to Zamora.

Thanks for the links!

Thanks! There is a lot of good info in those threads. As of now, I'm thinking of starting in Toledo and following the Levante up to Zamora.

Peregrina2000 -- were you walking the Primitivo in September 2021? I think you were a day or two day ahead of me......

Another option for me would be to start not in Madrid, but in Toledo and follow the Levante up to Zamora and then the Sanabres a few days later.....Any thoughts on that one? I'm familiar with the Sanabres from having walked the via de la Plata a few years ago, but don't know anything about the Levante.
If you choose this option, you could opt for the Verín variant to give you something new on the Sanabrés. I walked some of that (from Verín to Ourense) a few weeks ago and there are definitely some highlights in there!

Yes, I was. I walked from Oviedo to Grado on Sept. 14.
I've just found my credential for last year. That was the day that I stopped in Grado and stayed at the albergue de El Salvador (the place that was to the right up the hill next to the park). Some of my later stops included Porciles on 9/17, Lugo on 9/22, Melide on 9/24 and Santiago on 9/26. Great walk!

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back