• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Malaga

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Many in the past and, God willing; more to come
As I’m in Malaga this week on a language course I took the opportunity to seek out the local amigos of the Camino Mozerabe.

They are a delightful bunch who replied to my email within minutes (Gracias Señora Lola) and I was able to meet them at their regular Tuesday evening upstairs in a small community centre at Calle Republica Argentina 9 from 1900-2100hrs.

I have a splendid new credencial and a well produced (although heavy) guide to the first six stages.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just came back Sunday from Malaga after walking the Mozerabe to Cordoba together with my Camino friend from Holland, it was a wonderful walk. And very easy to follow the arrows.
Very quiet, we didn't meet other pilgrims. And only two people told us "Buen Camino" but the two people who did, made us very happy. We met a lot of helpful and friendly Spanish people.
We stayed in the Albergue in Almeria on the first day. And in hostels and pensions along the way.
Buen Camino to you!

I see that the Malaga association have a website as well as a Facebook page, both of which have recent posts. It is good to know that they are very active!

Where is your language course and how are you finding it? I spent a month at language school in Pedregalejos, but that was 50 years ago! It would be very strange to re-visit that experience.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I see that the Malaga association have a website as well as a Facebook page, both of which have recent posts. It is good to know that they are very active!

Where is your language course and how are you finding it? I spent a month at language school in Pedregalejos, but that was 50 years ago! It would be very strange to re-visit that experience.
I’m on an ‘intensive’ week at B1/2 level at the Instituto Picasso on Plaza Merced in Malaga. The standard programme is four hours per day 50/50 grammar and conversation, to which I added an hour 1-2-1 with a tutor focussed on my accent and pronunciation. Because it was a public holiday in Spain yesterday for All Saints Day the hours have been condensed into four days and it’s been very intense today!

The tutors are excellent and the collegio is very efficient and busy. I’m thoroughly enjoying it.

The pre-course self-assessment was very effective. There are seven in my class, of seven different nationalities, and we’re of a very similar standard. Functionally conversationally fluent, but I wouldn’t want to complete my tax return in Spanish!

I arrived on Sunday, so after 72 hours:

Words of English spoken - nil.
Cups of tea drunk - also nil, tragically.

To gladden @Tincatinker ’s heart I’ve taken up residence in the Antigua Casa de Guardia and I’m working my way from left to right. He’ll know what I mean!

Last edited:
I just came back Sunday from Malaga after walking the Mozerabe to Cordoba together with my Camino friend from Holland, it was a wonderful walk. And very easy to follow the arrows.
Very quiet, we didn't meet other pilgrims. And only two people told us "Buen Camino" but the two people who did, made us very happy. We met a lot of helpful and friendly Spanish people.
We stayed in the Albergue in Almeria on the first day. And in hostels and pensions along the way.
Buen Camino to you!
Did you mean hostales and pensiones? I'm asking as I'm wondering if any municipal albergues are open at this timr. Also could you share with us information about costs of the accommodations.
Cheers

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Ekelund and everyone,
Booked my flights last night and will start the Mozárabe in early December. I’m weighing whether to begin in Málaga (where I’ll arrive) or Almería. I expect to end in Cordóba—though I won’t have enough days to walk the entire way. Will you share thoughts about places that should not be missed? And, alternatively, are there stretches that could be skipped without losing the essence of the walk?
For context, I’m a strong hiker and backpacker, and I love mountains. Trained in architecture, I’m keen to experience the Moorish buildings and towns as well.
Thank so much for any guidance y’all feel like sharing,
Jill

As I am interested in whether the municipal albergues are open, I just checked out the Amigos website as found this:

Albergues del camino

Desde el 11 de octubre todos los albergues municipales del Camino desde Málaga a la provincia de Córdoba están nuevamente abiertos para acoger a los peregrinos. Estos refugios brindan la posibilidad de hacer el recorrido de una forma económica. Las pernoctaciones en estos albergues tienen precios simbólicos o incluso son gratuitas. En algunos casos, se pueden hacer donativos. En cualquier caso, conviene llamar antes a los respectivos ayuntamientos para solicitar la plaza, ya que son hospedajes con pocas camas.

This is good news! When I contacted them in June I was told that they were closed.

I'm contemplating a winter Camino leaving from Almería or Málaga too @jill___a but I can't leave until January.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Did you mean hostales and pensiones? I'm asking as I'm wondering if any municipal albergues are open at this timr. Also could you share with us information about costs of the accommodations.
Cheers
Hi LTfit, yes we mostly stayed in hostales and pensiones.
In Almogia and Encinas Reales we stayed in albergues. In Almogia there was a telephone number on the door that we called and the hospitalero showed up on a scooter 10 minuttes later. I think he was the local policeman. In Encinas Reales we went to the Ayuntamiento, who send us to the local police station in the same building, they lent us the key to the albergue. In Villanueva de la Concepcion there was an albergue but there was one mattress on the floor and the albergue was in a poor state so we went to Torcal apartamentos and had a very clean apartment for 40 euros with a lovely rooftop.
The price of accommodation in hostales and pensiones was about 40 to 50 euro for a double room for two people. In Dona Mencia there is a hotel as you walk into town but if you go to the policestation, there is a pensione around the corner. The albergue in Dona Mencia is closed.
We used Booking.com a lot. The only place we had a problem finding accommodation was Cabra, so we walked on to Dona Mencia.

I’m on an ‘intensive’ week at B1/2 level at the Instituto Picasso on Plaza Merced in Malaga. The standard programme is four hours per day 50/50 grammar and conversation, to which I added an hour 1-2-1 with a tutor focussed on my accent and pronunciation.
Hi henrythedog
Thank you for the information. Now I know what I'll be doing during my one week vacation in February. I'm a teacher so my vacation time is tied to the schoolyear. I love Malaga, it is a wonderful little city and in February I'm starving for sun after the Nordic winter. And what is this about the sherry?

Trained in architecture, I’m keen to experience the Moorish buildings and towns as well.
You might like taking a look at these gorgeously illustrated books (all free online) about traditional architecture in the area.
Traditional architecture books by Donald Gray:

1. https://www.alpujarragranada.com/wp...ion-Tradicional-en-la-Alpujarra-Granadina.pdf
  2. https://www.alpujarragranada.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/2-Alpujarra-Sur-Oeste.pdf
  3. https://www.alpujarragranada.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/3-Alpujarra-Este.pdf
  4. https://www.alpujarragranada.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/4-Alpujarra-Alta.pdf
The first volume is an overall primer; the next three volumes are lavishly illustrated tours of typical architecture in three areas of the Alpujarra.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Ekelund and everyone,
Booked my flights last night and will start the Mozárabe in early December. I’m weighing whether to begin in Málaga (where I’ll arrive) or Almería. I expect to end in Cordóba—though I won’t have enough days to walk the entire way. Will you share thoughts about places that should not be missed? And, alternatively, are there stretches that could be skipped without losing the essence of the walk?
For context, I’m a strong hiker and backpacker, and I love mountains. Trained in architecture, I’m keen to experience the Moorish buildings and towns as well.
Thank so much for any guidance y’all feel like sharing,
Jill
Hi Jill. My partner and I are also planning on beginning the Mozarabe in early December (likely the second week) and have the same question as you do. Hoping you will receive some replies!

Hi Jill. My partner and I are also planning on beginning the Mozarabe in early December (likely the second week) and have the same question as you do. Hoping you will receive some replies!
Hi Debi, I look forward to hearing about your journey. The research led me to rethink taking the Camino Mozárabe solo in winter. Instead, I'll be walking in southern Portugal--doing section hikes on the Rota Vicentina and Via Algarviana. I leave on Saturday unless something drastic happens in response to the Omicron variant in the next few days. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Debi, I look forward to hearing about your journey. The research led me to rethink taking the Camino Mozárabe solo in winter. Instead, I'll be walking in southern Portugal--doing section hikes on the Rota Vicentina and Via Algarviana. I leave on Saturday unless something drastic happens in response to the Omicron variant in the next few days. Buen Camino!
Sounds lovely! The covid situation here in Western Europe is bad and about to get worse with the new variant, so we have decided to stay home for now. We had hoped that the south of Spain would be relatively safe to walk (same for Portugal), but infection rates are going up there as well. Good luck and stay safe!

Sounds lovely! The covid situation here in Western Europe is bad and about to get worse with the new variant, so we have decided to stay home for now. We had hoped that the south of Spain would be relatively safe to walk (same for Portugal), but infection rates are going up there as well. Good luck and stay safe!
UGH. I'm so sorry. Hope I'm not on a fool's journey. Guess I have a few more days to decide!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back