• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting From Pamplona

Dan I

Time of past OR future Camino
Planing to walk El Camino in May 2014
Hi Guys

I am planning on starting my first Camino from Pamplona, on 30 April - arriving from Barca on the 29 April

Can you guys give me some directions where to get the Pilgrim Credential and also a recommendation on where to stay?

Thank you

Dan

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am planning on starting my first Camino from Pamplona, on 30 April - arriving from Barca on the 29 April. Can you guys give me some directions where to get the Pilgrim Credential and also a recommendation on where to stay?

The Jesus y Maria Albergue a block from the Cathedral in the old town fits the bill for both of your needs. And if you are wondering how to find it, I bet there are pilgrims on your bus or train that are headed there themselves. Many of these pilgrims are veterans and will be glad to assist you. Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Dan! I also start from Pamplona on May 8th... I have booked a bed at the Aloha Hostel Pamplona for €18... They have been very kind in returning my emails right away:) I sent my trekking poles in the mail to them yesterday since I cannot bring them in my carry-on from Los Angeles. It is easy to book through Booking.com.
Buen Camino!!! Kelly

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Dan! I also start from Pamplona on May 8th... I have booked a bed at the Aloha Hostel Pamplona for €18... They have been very kind in returning my emails right away:) I sent my trekking poles in the mail to them yesterday since I cannot bring them in my carry-on from Los Angeles. It is easy to book through Booking.com.
Buen Camino!!! Kelly
Hey Kelly, I am not writing this to you in particular, but more in general to pilgrims-to-be from the US, Canada etc.:
Bear in mind that Spain is not a third-world country and even small towns like Pamplona have plenty of stores selling everything a peregrino might need, including trekking poles. Mailing them there alone cost you probably almost as much as you would pay to buy a pair in Spain.
Why not combine a first day to recover the jet lag with a bit of relaxing and enjoyable shopping in the small streets of this beautiful old town? You can basically get your entire gear right there, the prices are very reasonable, often lower than in the US.
A tip to the ladies: On your camino, you will pass towns like Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Astorga and eventually Santiago; spending evenings there, you might feel like lifting your spirits by changing your pilgrim's wear with a light summer dress made in non-wrinkling material. Such can be bought very cheaply in plenty of small boutiques and I have yet to meet a woman incapable of finding an extra stowing space in her backpack to carry it along. :)
ENJOY the camino!

Hey Kelly, I am not writing this to you in particular, but more in general to pilgrims-to-be from the US, Canada etc.:
Bear in mind that Spain is not a third-world country and even small towns like Pamplona have plenty of stores selling everything a peregrino might need, including trekking poles. Mailing them there alone cost you probably almost as much as you would pay to buy a pair in Spain.
Why not combine a first day to recover the jet lag with a bit of relaxing and enjoyable shopping in the small streets of this beautiful old town? You can basically get your entire gear right there, the prices are very reasonable, often lower than in the US.
A tip to the ladies: On your camino, you will pass towns like Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Astorga and eventually Santiago; spending evenings there, you might feel like lifting your spirits by changing your pilgrim's wear with a light summer dress made in non-wrinkling material. Such can be bought very cheaply in plenty of small boutiques and I have yet to meet a woman incapable of finding an extra stowing space in her backpack to carry it along. :)
ENJOY the camino!
PANO,
I wasn't actually planning on taking/using trekking poles.... However, a good friend of mine have them to me last week as a gift for my journey:) so I felt I should probably get them there somehow lol! But yes I do plan on buying a dress on the way:) thank you for the info! Have a super great day! Kelly

PANO,
I wasn't actually planning on taking/using trekking poles.... However, a good friend of mine have them to me last week as a gift for my journey:) so I felt I should probably get them there somehow lol! But yes I do plan on buying a dress on the way:) thank you for the info! Have a super great day! Kelly
Like you, I though that poles are not for me, on my camino last September. I bought a pair on the way and found them VERY convenient after getting used to them; they give your walk support and relieve your knees and ankles.......collapsing types for easy stowing are recommended.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Like you, I though that poles are not for me, on my camino last September. I bought a pair on the way and found them VERY convenient after getting used to them; they give your walk support and relieve your knees and ankles.......collapsing types for easy stowing are recommended.
Even though I trained with poles I thought I could do the Camino without them! HA! After about 10 days I capitulated and bought an ultralight pair of Lekis in Santo Domingo for the same price as in the US.

Buen Camino!!! Kelly

Thank You Kelly

Since there is an open talk on stuff :) - May i ask if i need to book in advance rooms or places to sleep? As i planned to walk around 35 km/ day, is it that crowded that i should book in advance? I plan to stop every 6 days and rest for one day.

From my point of view, booking was a way of losing touch with the road and go from one pointer to another; also spoiling the fun...Also how safe is it to sleep outside, as i have a good outdoor sleeping bag?

Thank you in advance, this forum is a great resource.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have booked a bed at the Aloha Hostel Pamplona for €18...
Thank you for that: I just ordered a bed there for the 24th.

Dan I: Just saw your post: It is not neccessary to book in advance, but I do some booking, preparations, etc. on my way to SJPdP, in order to have some system. Once in SJPdP I do not book anything, except for the first day out, where I have booked a night in Orrison. I have to consider my age (was 60 on March 30th...) and want to take it easy the first few days, until I get into the routine. I most certainly do not want to crush my feet at the very beginning of this Camino. Other than that, there is always a bed to be found as days pass by.

Last edited:
May i ask if i need to book in advance rooms or places to sleep?
Honestly, there is no really good answer to that question. Places fill up. On the other hand, there may not be a place that takes reservations at your destination. If you make a detailed itinerary, you can check the internet for places that take reservations.

Some do simply sleep outside. It is safe, but in a city where it is illegal, you may run a risk. I watched a tent get rousted in Portomarin one morning.

Since there is an open talk on stuff :) - May i ask if i need to book in advance rooms or places to sleep? As i planned to walk around 35 km/ day, is it that crowded that i should book in advance? I plan to stop every 6 days and rest for one day.

From my point of view, booking was a way of losing touch with the road and go from one pointer to another; also spoiling the fun...
I should elaborate on this FYI: It is not normally neccessary to book in advance: Go as you like, and look for a place to stay: You will find them. I started out originally by only booking a flight to Barcelona, no more, but now I have booked my way to SJPdP and first day albergue at Orrison. It is just me. Good luck with your journey!

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There is a nighttrain from Barcelona and you arrive in Pamplona 5 or 6 in the morning and you have the first yellow arrow 500 meters from the station. I was on the camino right away and walked to Puente la Reina.Also an option to do this. Good luck

Roger

thanks Roger, but i'm planning to stay in Pamplona for half a day

A selection of Camino Jewellery
PANO,
Hi Kelly, you will be thanking your friend for the gift of those trekking poles. I started without poles and was having great difficulty negotiating the rocky paths. I found a tree limb just outside of Viscarret that I used as a walking staff and it made a great difference. Then in Viana I found a wonderful sporting goods store where I bought trekking poles and they helped me tremendously going downhill, going uphill, crossing muddy areas, etc. I don't know that I could have made it to Santiago without my trekking poles. Buen Camino!

From my point of view, booking was a way of losing touch with the road and go from one pointer to another; also spoiling the fun...Also how safe is it to sleep outside, as i have a good outdoor sleeping bag? Thank you in advance, this forum is a great resource.

Let's look at this with common sense:
(1) (Municipal -) Albergues don't take reservations anyway.
(2) Pensions, Hostals, small hotels....you can book, but you don't know what is ahead when you do.
What I did was to take chances by just walking; when I was tired, I started to check the albergue first. If 'completto', I worked myself up the ladder. Mostly I found a bed at only little higher cost. There was one exception in St. Domingo de la Calzada, where I ended up with the top: The Paradores. "The Camino provides"....and its only money, I never regretted one second and indulged.;)
In high season, reservations on the last 100 km (after Sarria) are worth consideration.

... May i ask if i need to book in advance rooms or places to sleep? As i planned to walk around 35 km/ day, is it that crowded that i should book in advance? I plan to stop every 6 days and rest for one day...
Hi Dan,
In my limited experience it was not necessary to book in advance except at SJPP and Orisson (if you plan to stop there), as well as the last 100km after Sarria when it starts to get crowded. If you intend to walk 35km a day, you'll probably be getting to your stopping points much later than those who walk only 20-25km (unless you start really early in the morning), so you may need to factor that into your daily planning and reserve ahead to ensure that you have a bed. When my wife and I walked the CF in September 2013, we never reserved ahead until Sarria. We merely called ahead the day before to book beds in the last 100km and never had a problem.
Buen Camino,
Jim

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
... I am planning on starting my first Camino from Pamplona, on 30 April - ... Can you guys give me some directions where to get the Pilgrim Credential ...

The albergue and / or the cathedral will have a credencial for you ;-)
Buen Camino! SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Do you guys know some trekking gear shop in Pamplona?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
:)
Puente la Reina? Obanos? How far do you want to walk?
Are you looking for private accommodation or albergue?
Hi, looking for private accommodations, would like to walk about 22 to 25km. Is Casa Magica about 20 km after Obanos? Thanks you for the help

:)
Hi, looking for private accommodations, would like to walk about 22 to 25km. Is Casa Magica about 20 km after Obanos? Thanks you for the help

Yes. Obanos to Villatuerta (Casa Magica) is easy walking. Pamplona to Uterga roughly 18 km climbing Alta de Perdon and Uterga to Villatuerta (Casa Magica) roughly 24 km of easy walking.

MM

Yes. Obanos to Villatuerta (Casa Magica) is easy walking. Pamplona to Uterga roughly 18 km climbing Alta de Perdon and Uterga to Villatuerta (Casa Magica) roughly 24 km of easy walking.

MM
Thank you:) That's perfect, you have been so helpful with all of my planning. I am so glad that I joined this forum, everyone is absolutely incredible and so nice;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey guys :) It's me again. Tomorrow i'm leaving to Barcelona, i paked my bag and it has 10kg, i read about taking 10% of your bodyweight (including 1 l of water) - i weight around 80 kg so i'm over with 2 kg. I plan to take my winter sleeping bag - as i can sleep outside from time to time but it has like 2.2 kg - comparing to the summer one that has 1.2 kg? Also the winter one is more cozy and i think good night sleep is important? What do you guys think? Thank you so much

Hey guys :) It's me again. Tomorrow i'm leaving to Barcelona, i paked my bag and it has 10kg, i read about taking 10% of your bodyweight (including 1 l of water) - i weight around 80 kg so i'm over with 2 kg. I plan to take my winter sleeping bag - as i can sleep outside from time to time but it has like 2.2 kg - comparing to the summer one that has 1.2 kg? Also the winter one is more cozy and i think good night sleep is important? What do you guys think? Thank you so much
Hey Dan, forget that romantic notion of spending a night outside, you will not! My advise: A nice (Merino-) liner, a blanket that you find in practically all albergues if needed, you might just as well leave that sleeping bag at home. Buen Camino.

The 10% is sort of thrown around as a guide... And that is all it is. Some carry less, some carry more. I often carry more. Sometimes I'm "good" and pare my pack down, other-times I decide that I want the extra luxuries.

As for the sleeping bag - very individual. I sleep cold, and would not consider going anywhere with a 1-2 season bag. I use a silk liner, if it gets too hot, I just open the zip on my main bag. I did sleep outside a few times - not planned, and it was at small albergues that became full after I arrived- I slept on the patio/roof as people that arrived later than me did not have warm bags, and I knew I'd be snug and warm in my 4 season bag. I quite enjoyed my nights under the stars:)

Hope you have a lovely time, buen camino:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
:):):)
Hi, I am leaving in a month, so excited. I am bringing a silk liner, don't think I will need a sleeping bag from all the blogs I have read. I wish you the best. Buen Camino!

Hola Pano,

Gracias por su consejo. I intend to spend a few days in Pamplona before I start the walking part of my camino. Thanks to your message I will outfit myself after my arrival. I like to travel as lightly as possible, with carry-on bags only for flights, if possible. I will bring my hiking backpack, tested in the Himalayas and my worn-in boots and it sounds as if I can find everything else that I will need in a local shop. That makes me very happy!
My intended start date is sometime in April 2015.

I don't usually plan anything this far in advance but I cannot go until next spring, and it's a LOT of fun to think about now.

Amy

Hola Pano,
Gracias por su consejo. I intend to spend a few days in Pamplona before I start the walking part of my camino. Thanks to your message I will outfit myself after my arrival. I like to travel as lightly as possible, with carry-on bags only for flights, if possible. I will bring my hiking backpack, tested in the Himalayas and my worn-in boots and it sounds as if I can find everything else that I will need in a local shop. That makes me very happy!
My intended start date is sometime in April 2015.
I don't usually plan anything this far in advance but I cannot go until next spring, and it's a LOT of fun to think about now.
Amy
Hi Amy
great, you've got it alright!l Planing is much part of the fun and you've got plenty of time. PM in case you need any further advise.
Ultreya.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back