• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Ponferrada .. Advice

micamino73

Hi, I am hoping to start the Camino from Ponferrada early June. I think its about 210Kms to SDC. I have 7 full days walking available so would have to do 30 kms a day aprox (depending on stops) I would like to reach SDC sunday afternoon and will then have a full day there on Mon. I'm fit enough usually takes me 5 hours to run/walk 42kms so I know its do-able. Does anyone who has actually done the walk have advice to give or caution.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello,
As far as I remember I did that part in 7 days, but I won't say it was easy, since Galicia is far from being a flat land and you have to go up and down O Cebreiro. If you're used to do long walks it should be fine. I always assumed I was doing 4kms per hour, so I could know how long it would take to go to the next place, breaks included.
The beauty of the land gives you wings anyway.
Oh, and I must add that municipal albergues in Galicia don't have much stuff to cook with. Unless you're planning to go to restaurants you'll have to buy some food you don't need to prepare.

Hi,
I think I walked this in 7 days as well. My only advice is pack light & have good footwear.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I can walk 50km in 7 hours, but unladen with a support crew making sure that I am fed and watered! Its hard to translate that to the Camino where the conditions are quite different.

My view would be that much depends on your preparation, and on keeping your pack weight down. I walked the section from Ponferrada to Santiago in nine days, with a heavier pack than I would take next time. I could probably have taken a day off that if I had pushed, but not two, even with a lighter pack. You might be able to.

Remember, too, that there are two pretty big climbs in this section - up to O'Cbebreiro (~700m) and then after Portomarin (~400m). The accumulated climb (based on Brierley's guide) for the section is nearly 2900m, and you would want to count on adding an adjustment of nearly 23 km to your distance calculations using Naismith's Rule. That would push your target up to an equivalent of 35km/day. That extra 5km may not sound much, but it is going to be the best part of an extra hours walking that you will need to do on average every day.

Thanks for that, i had not considered the climb. Last year i did a walk around the monasteries of mt athos.. And there were some hard climbs, I did the 2000 meter climb in one day,

I am only aiming to carry a 6km backpack..hopefully i can get water or fluids along the way? Otherwise carrying water will be my biggest weight, its the only thing i ran short of last year.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
[I am only aiming to carry a 6km backpack..hopefully i can get water or fluids along the way? Otherwise carrying water will be my biggest weight, its the only thing i ran short of last year./quote]

You will need to carry fluids. There are places where you can top up fluids but not always where you need them and in June you can expect it to be warm, especially for walking.
Buen camino
Sue

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back