• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Porto April 16

kstaylor

Perhaps I'll run into some of you along the way. I'm in Porto now (staying at Duas Nacoes), and will start walking from Matosinhos on Friday, April 16. My tentative plan is to take it slow, 15-25k per day, with lots of breaks. It is likely that I'll stay a day or two in: Vila do Conde, Barcelos, Ponte de Lima, Valenca or Tui, and Pontevedra. So if you see a white-bearded guy (my lookalike is Verdi) carrying too much stuff on the trail, or setting up a tripod for a sunset or sunrise in one of the towns, that is likely me.

Kit
kstaylor@centurytel.net

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kit,
I hope you post your experiences. I'm especially interested in how you handle accommodations on some of the longer stages. We're starting out in September from the Porto Se.

Buen Camino
Tenha uma viagem boa

Chris

Kit

How many days are you going to take? Having just finished this walk, the majority of people take ten, I took eight whilst another lady took nine. You can take longer as there are plenty of rooms. How many K's do you think you can walk?

There are loads more questions that could be asked.

In a breakdown, according to my GPS, this is the amount I walked per day

Day 1 - 41.3
Day 2 - 21.4 - I went the long way as I wanted to see the views
Day 3 - 34.5
Day 4 - 39.1
Day 5 - 33.4
Day 6 - 22.1
Day 7 - 42.7
Day 8 - 25.3

I hope this helps

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Kit

I'm planning to do the walk in September over 11 or 12 days, walking roughly the same distances as you each day with the possiblity of a rest day somewhere in the middle. When you've done your walk, could you please report back to the forum on the existence (or not) of an albergue in Tamel de S. Pedro Fins or thereabouts? There seems to be some confusion on this question. Brierley's guidebook simply refers to an albergue at "Portela" without being any more specific and suggests that it may well be open by now. Others state categorically (although not in the past few months) that it doesn't exist. As I intend staying there overnight, I'd really like to know if it's there or not.

I like the idea of taking it slowly. Savour the experience.

Tony

Tony

In Portela, we did see the building that is meant to be the albergue. It is next to a church up a long hill, but noy at the top. Looking at it, it did not appear to be open

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
chrisinvermont said:
Kit,
I hope you post your experiences. I'm especially interested in how you handle accommodations on some of the longer stages. We're starting out in September from the Porto Se.

Buen Camino
Tenha uma viagem boa

Chris

Chris,

I'll post my notes on accomodations in the accomodations section of this forum -- just posted one on Porto. My plan is to stay at basic hotels. I'm avoiding the albergues because -- due to losing most of my esophogus 13 years ago -- I often have spells of loud coughing in the middle of the night. If I were in dormitory-type accomodations half the people would want to toss me out andthe other half would probably think I'm croaking and try to save me.

Kit
kstaylor@centurytel.net

Antipodean said:
Hello Kit

I'm planning to do the walk in September over 11 or 12 days, walking roughly the same distances as you each day with the possiblity of a rest day somewhere in the middle. When you've done your walk, could you please report back to the forum on the existence (or not) of an albergue in Tamel de S. Pedro Fins or thereabouts? There seems to be some confusion on this question. Brierley's guidebook simply refers to an albergue at "Portela" without being any more specific and suggests that it may well be open by now. Others state categorically (although not in the past few months) that it doesn't exist. As I intend staying there overnight, I'd really like to know if it's there or not.

I like the idea of taking it slowly. Savour the experience.

Tony

Yes, it is open -- called Albergue de Tamel, right by the church.. It hadn't yet opened for the day when I went by it, but the next day I talked to three Germans who had stayed there -- and said they were the only ones staying there.

I stayed at Residential Arantes -- listed in Brierley -- in Barcelos for 20 E/night, nice room with a window over the praca, private shower, toilet down the hall.

The real treat for accomodation if it at all fits is the Casa de Fernanda -- really a B&B for peregrinos. Fernanda and Jacinto are incredibly gracious hosts. There were three of us staying that night, a French couple and myself. Fernanda and Jacinto whipped up a lovely dinner with all but the bacalhao from their garden -- even wine they made themselves. Sat around for a nice conversation for the evening. Fernanda and Jacinto both speak French and English, but the French couple spoke no English and I speak no French, so Jacinto often translated from French to Portuguese for me and from Portuguese to French to keep everyone in the conversation.

Today I am at the Hotel Imperio do Minho in Ponte de Lima, a modern three star hotel (in Brierley) for 32 E/night per the peregrino discount. Breakfast included.

At this time of year anyway there is no problem with accomodations -- I've always found a room at the first place I've walked into.

Kit
kstaylor@centurytel.net

I have to add to the above because 22 kms from Barcelos is Heaven! I have very rarely in my life met more wonderful people than Fernanda and Jacinto. They will truly make you feel like you are the only pilgrims they have ever met!
If you are planning on walking the Camino Portuguese, don't miss it, and do please say that Tracy Saunders says a big Hi and is hoping to see them in July!

http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com talks all about my own experiences in Heaven last July and a lot more about the Camino Portuguese from Porto.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back