A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Starting from San Sebastián on 30th Aug?

0 Euro Camino Bank Note
Camino(s) past & future
aragones Somport to Jaca (2013) Plan to do Ingles (2015)
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hello. I'm starting from San Sebastian on 30th August if there is anyone else out there doing a similar thing. I'm aiming for Zarautz on the first day, hopefully that is not too ambitious? Many thanks, Jackie

grayland

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Yes
Welcome to the forum, Jackie.
San Sebastian is a beautiful place and a good starting point. It is one day past the more traditional start at Irun...so most pilgrims you will see in the first days are also newly started and will be very open to meeting others like themselves. Just be open and outgoing from the start.

nickpellatt

Camino(s) past & future
French 2015 Portuguese 2018 Norte May 2019 Finesterre and Muxia April 2019
I also walked San Sebastian to Zarautz on my Camino earlier this year.

Limited accomodation in Zarautz though. My guidebook suggested the Youth Hostel, but they dont accept pilgrims anymore. This is one town where pre-booking might be recommended.

Suzanne S.

Camino(s) past & future
(2015) Camino Frances/Muxia/Fisterre (2017) Caminho Portuguese/Fisterre
(2019) Camino del Norte
Hi @Jackie Wilson , I'll be one day behind you, starting in Irun on August 30. I have prebooked my second night in Zarautz for the reason mentioned above. I certainly hope that San Sebastian to Zarautz is reasonable! I'm counting on it! Perhaps we'll meet along the way...

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF2012,Le Puy/CF 2015 Portugues 2017 Norte 2018, CF 2019
Keep this in mind. I checked the Wise Pilgrim app. I walked from Irun last year. In a big red box they warn about there being lots of surfing competitions that are hosted in Zarautz in the summer and that during those times finding a bed will be tough. There may be a website with a calendar of activities in town. They list the Zarautz Hostel and a municipal albergue. I didn't stay there so I don't have first hand knowledge. Gronze.com has decidedly mixed reviews about the municipal Albergue and good reviews for Zarautz Hostel. The albergue is a donative and the hostel is a lot more money. The hostel takes reservations on their website. You can also check Booking.com for other options.

grayland

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Yes
The first part of the Norte (in and around San Sabastian) is a highly popular tourist and youth surfing area. It can be very disappointing if you find yourself competing for a bed in the midst of a film festival or huge surf event. It is wise to do a bit of research and make alternate plans in case you hit a rough spot.

Camino(s) past & future
aragones Somport to Jaca (2013) Plan to do Ingles (2015)
Thank you Grayland, Nick, Suzanne and IT56NY for your very helpful replies. I've taken the precaution of booking the Galerna in Zarautz and then the Albergue in Mutriku, because the area is sure to be busy at the end of August as you say. Hopefully we will meet along the way Suzanne - I wish you a buen camino

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Hi Jackie and Suzanne,
I was wondering if either of you will be posting on the forum "live" from your Norte walks or blogging using another website. I loved walking this Camino in 2016 and would enjoy reliving some of my memories by following along!

Suzanne S.

Camino(s) past & future
(2019) Camino del Norte
Hi CC! I've never posted "live" before. Maybe if I can figure it out I will do that. I am much more likely to post on FB. I do have a wordpress blog site that's sadly out of date, so not sure about that one.

I tell you what. If I decide to do something regularly, I will pm you.

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Hi CC! I've never posted "live" before. Maybe if I can figure it out I will do that. I am much more likely to post on FB. I do have a wordpress blog site that's sadly out of date, so not sure about that one.

I tell you what. If I decide to do something regularly, I will pm you.
Ok, thanks! I know a few of our seasoned forum members have used "find penguins" fairly easy to use. I am not on FB, nor very techy at all. In fact, I write and send my daily camino reports to family and friends through email...now that's archaic!

Suzanne S.

Camino(s) past & future
(2019) Camino del Norte
Ok, thanks! I know a few of our seasoned forum members have used "find penguins" fairly easy to use. I am not on FB, nor very techy at all. In fact, I write and send my daily camino reports to family and friends through email...now that's archaic!
Archaic, yes, but that's exactly what I will be doing for my family! They all find that the easiest way to keep track of me. 😏

Camino Chrissy

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Chrissy I'm really not sure that I'll be tech competent enough or organised enough to do something in real time! If I do, I'll let you know
Ok, no harm in asking! Glad I'm not the only one lacking techy skills.😁
Buen Camino, Jackie!

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%