• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from San Sebastián on 30th Aug?

Jackie Wilson

Time of past OR future Camino
aragones Somport to Jaca (2013) Plan to do Ingles (2015)
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hello. I'm starting from San Sebastian on 30th August if there is anyone else out there doing a similar thing. I'm aiming for Zarautz on the first day, hopefully that is not too ambitious? Many thanks, Jackie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Welcome to the forum, Jackie.
San Sebastian is a beautiful place and a good starting point. It is one day past the more traditional start at Irun...so most pilgrims you will see in the first days are also newly started and will be very open to meeting others like themselves. Just be open and outgoing from the start.

I also walked San Sebastian to Zarautz on my Camino earlier this year.

Limited accomodation in Zarautz though. My guidebook suggested the Youth Hostel, but they dont accept pilgrims anymore. This is one town where pre-booking might be recommended.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi @Jackie Wilson , I'll be one day behind you, starting in Irun on August 30. I have prebooked my second night in Zarautz for the reason mentioned above. I certainly hope that San Sebastian to Zarautz is reasonable! I'm counting on it! Perhaps we'll meet along the way...

Keep this in mind. I checked the Wise Pilgrim app. I walked from Irun last year. In a big red box they warn about there being lots of surfing competitions that are hosted in Zarautz in the summer and that during those times finding a bed will be tough. There may be a website with a calendar of activities in town. They list the Zarautz Hostel and a municipal albergue. I didn't stay there so I don't have first hand knowledge. Gronze.com has decidedly mixed reviews about the municipal Albergue and good reviews for Zarautz Hostel. The albergue is a donative and the hostel is a lot more money. The hostel takes reservations on their website. You can also check Booking.com for other options.

The first part of the Norte (in and around San Sabastian) is a highly popular tourist and youth surfing area. It can be very disappointing if you find yourself competing for a bed in the midst of a film festival or huge surf event. It is wise to do a bit of research and make alternate plans in case you hit a rough spot.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you Grayland, Nick, Suzanne and IT56NY for your very helpful replies. I've taken the precaution of booking the Galerna in Zarautz and then the Albergue in Mutriku, because the area is sure to be busy at the end of August as you say. Hopefully we will meet along the way Suzanne - I wish you a buen camino

Hi Jackie and Suzanne,
I was wondering if either of you will be posting on the forum "live" from your Norte walks or blogging using another website. I loved walking this Camino in 2016 and would enjoy reliving some of my memories by following along!

Hi CC! I've never posted "live" before. Maybe if I can figure it out I will do that. I am much more likely to post on FB. I do have a wordpress blog site that's sadly out of date, so not sure about that one.

I tell you what. If I decide to do something regularly, I will pm you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi CC! I've never posted "live" before. Maybe if I can figure it out I will do that. I am much more likely to post on FB. I do have a wordpress blog site that's sadly out of date, so not sure about that one.

I tell you what. If I decide to do something regularly, I will pm you.
Ok, thanks! I know a few of our seasoned forum members have used "find penguins" fairly easy to use. I am not on FB, nor very techy at all. In fact, I write and send my daily camino reports to family and friends through email...now that's archaic!

Ok, thanks! I know a few of our seasoned forum members have used "find penguins" fairly easy to use. I am not on FB, nor very techy at all. In fact, I write and send my daily camino reports to family and friends through email...now that's archaic!
Archaic, yes, but that's exactly what I will be doing for my family! They all find that the easiest way to keep track of me. 😏

Chrissy I'm really not sure that I'll be tech competent enough or organised enough to do something in real time! If I do, I'll let you know

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you Grayland, Nick, Suzanne and IT56NY for your very helpful replies. I've taken the precaution of booking the Galerna in Zarautz and then the Albergue in Mutriku, because the area is sure to be busy at the end of August as you say. Hopefully we will meet along the way Suzanne - I wish you a buen camino
Do you recall how far it is to Mitruku from Deba? Google maps gives a very long route but there must be a direct way even though it may not be on the actual Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Do you recall how far it is to Mitruku from Deba? Google maps gives a very long route but there must be a direct way even though it may not be on the actual Camino.
Hi @lisaflora
The op hasn’t posted on the forum since aug2019

Looking at site www.gronze.com. the distance you are after looks to be approx 6 or so kilometres but as you said ; it’s not on’ the trail ( Camino Del Norte). Map shows as GI638 -

note also the spelling I believe is ‘Mutriku’

FYI
below is a link to stage 6 on Gronze of the Norte.

Also a ‘screen shot’ from gronze showing the location of Mutriku also a track.

0554308F-B288-47F2-9F8D-B87DAB7BE44C.jpeg

I can also see the walking track on site : rome2rio It says it is 4.5klms and around 54mins walk. 264FEE55-6AD8-4B9A-910F-97D409AAC3B9.png

Last edited:
The Gronze website shows the route of the del Norte, see https://www.gronze.com/etapa/deba/markina but, of course, it does not go through Mutriku.

The other obvious possibility is to switch Google Maps to driving mode rather than walking mode and then follow the roads.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you. Yes, just trying to find lodging..nothing in Deba for my dates.
Lisa
Did you open the link to gronze for additional source of accommodation or only checking on booking dot com?
Gronze has lots of info (regularly updated / at least reliable in non Covid times). You can even select to book through there to booking dot com. Worth a look.
good luck
Buen camino 2021

ps I recall a great Albergue after Deba which I stayed at.
I wouldn’t worry too much right now about booking ahead. You’ll be taken care of.

Edit: I’ve just read in another thread that you want to walk jun/jul and that you’ve already checked Gronze!!

Last edited:
Lisa
Did you open the link to gronze for additional source of accommodation or only checking on booking dot com?
Gronze has lots of info (regularly updated / at least reliable in non Covid times). You can even select to book through there to booking dot com. Worth a look.
good luck
Buen camino 2021

ps I recall a great Albergue after Deba which I stayed at.
I wouldn’t worry too much right now about booking ahead. You’ll be taken care of.

Edit: I’ve just read in another thread that you want to walk jun/jul and that you’ve already checked Gronze!!
Yes thank you for the reply. You already figured it out. I am taking a small bivvy so I can sleep anywhere.. Just don't want to miss out on the communal experience Even though I will be at least twice the age of most the people there I believe😉

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back