• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from Sete instead of Arles and walking the Canal du

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Anyone who is interested in starting the Arles route from Sete and walking a bit of the Canal du Midi - here are some notes I made on accommodation :
Sete - hotel on the Rue Jean Jeurnes, not recommended
Marseillan Plage - camping Les Castellas (in a cabin) - nice restaurant, huge campsite, some areas nicely shaded and green, along the seaside (where we were) it was windswept, bare and a construction site.
Beziers - Hotel Imperator nice old fashioned traditional hotel, great location in the middle of town. Not cheap.
Colombiers should have been next but we kept walking to
Capestang which is lovely. Absolutely stunning B&B "Le Murier Plantane" in Rue Voltaire. €60 without dinner but generous good breakfast and my personal 5 star rating. Really intelligent renovation to an old house, would go to Capestang just for this B&B. And very nice hosts. Good meal in a bistro in the main plaza.
Argeliers - B&B "LeTour" restored 11th century tower - possibly Cathar. Hosts cooked us a good meal, including an omlette made with tiny wild asparagus they had gathered (quite different to cultivated) - absolutely delicious! Take the demi pension deal, reasonableprice and no restaurant in village.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Than you, Kanga. I love a flat canal stroll, especially if there is a more strenuous and virtuous route I should be taking. (Loved the canal out of Moissac.)

I'm back to combing through ideas and suggestions like the ones you've just posted, just to keep my mind on future caminos, however unlikely they seem right now.

Many thanks

Rob

I only partly followed canal du midi, it is beautiful but tends to get too flat after a while. :rolleyes:

in sete I stayed in auberge de jeunesse villa salis which is an uphill walk from the centre but you are rewarded with fine views of sete. I slept in the 'bungalows' below the main villa, in a double room attached to another double room with which it shared a bathroom. linen was provided and there was a kitchen or meals. €22 for B&B.

in beziers I stayed in hotel confort a few blocks from the TO, off the big central square. nice room up the spiral stairs (the higher the cheaper I think). the owner offered me breakfast in the morning (she said she offers it to pilgrims and hikers). €35 (for B&B).
I also called in foyer jeunes travailleurs montibel in the old centre and they would have accommodated me if there was space.
TO in bezier was not very well informed about pilgrim accommodation possibilities. the nuns next to eglise st jacques don't take pilgrims.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning Pilgrims! In June I will leave Italy to try to get to Santiago. Around August I will be walking the part of the camino in France, and as I read through the various threads, I had a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back