Search 60,048 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Starting from SJpdP now? Can you help help with unusual photo request?

Past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
I've been working on a study of geology along the camino.
I was intending to be on the Francés myself in a month to take a closer look at some particular outcrops and take pictures. I've had to cancel until next year, but I'm feeling impatient. Is there anyone, (like @piparnold , (who I notice from the calendar is starting tomorrow), that might help?
I thought I would do this by private messaging, but it seems you can't post photos that way.
If this comes off, I'm afraid it won't be of much interest generally. For instance here's number 1.
The first rocks in situ that you'll come across are in a layby on the right, about 3.5km from St Jean. On google street, it looks like this.
Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 12.42.52 pm.jpeg
A photo, from a couple of metres away clearly showing the rock layers would be appreciated.
Another more obviously of interest is at Vierge Orisson. I have this, (not my picture), which reasonably shows the limestone layers but I'm looking for something closer in to those formations from this side which still includes the statue but clearly features the steeply dipping rock layers, if you see what I mean.
IMG_1338.jpeg
I can PM more info to anyone who might feel like collaborating.
Here's hoping this might intrigue somebody.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

biarritzdon

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF&CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF&CP17, CdN18, CM18, CF18, LePuy19
This region was subjected to major tectonic and volcanic upheaval dating back 350 million years. You can clearly see a volcano cone from Biarritz and there are many large volcanic boulders strewn on the beaches. The Ossau area around SJPdp is made up of Andesite. There is a brief explantion of the geology of the Pyrenees on a site Hike Pyrenees.

Past OR future Camino
This region was subjected to major tectonic and volcanic upheaval dating back 350 million years. You can clearly see a volcano cone from Biarritz and there are many large volcanic boulders strewn on the beaches. The Ossau area around SJPdp is made up of Andesite. There is a brief explantion of the geology of the Pyrenees on a site Hike Pyrenees.
I didn't know about volcanics on the beaches. I haven't strayed that far on the French side. Just looked, and Hike Pyrenees is a very well presented and informative site.

DoughnutANZ

I would rather be fishing
Past OR future Camino
I was intending to be on the Francés myself in a month to take a closer look at some particular outcrops and take pictures. I've had to cancel until next year, but I'm feeling impatient. Is there anyone, (like @piparnold , (who I notice from the calendar is starting tomorrow), that might help?
I thought I would do this by private messaging, but it seems you can't post photos that way.
If this comes off, I'm afraid it won't be of much interest generally. For instance here's number 1.
The first rocks in situ that you'll come across are in a layby on the right, about 3.5km from St Jean. On google street, it looks like this.
View attachment 127839
A photo, from a couple of metres away clearly showing the rock layers would be appreciated.
Another more obviously of interest is at Vierge Orisson. I have this, (not my picture), which reasonably shows the limestone layers but I'm looking for something closer in to those formations from this side which still includes the statue but clearly features the steeply dipping rock layers, if you see what I mean.
View attachment 127840
IMG_20190515_135224989.jpg

Pocket guide that pack a punch
1.4 oz (40g) pocket guides with gems of wisdom to ponder during and after your Camino
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

piparnold

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 19/6
View attachment 127839
View attachment 127840
Hi Peregrinopaul,

Happy to help maybe pm me happy to help if I can. In transit in Singapore atm only two flights and a car trip to go.
Phil

Past OR future Camino
A photo from 2012.
Thanks for posting @Theatregal. Interesting that your picture is from exactly the same angle as @DoughnutANZ's, but his is slightly further back and happens to capture the clearly dipping rock slabs in the middle foreground.
I really apologise if it comes across as a competition;)
Thanks, guys for taking an interest. I'm stoked!

CWBuff

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Frances May-June/2022
Finisterre June-July/2022
Here is my input for what it's worth

Attachments

• FindPenguinsfindpenguins_camera_220522-091742.jpg
    FindPenguinsfindpenguins_camera_220522-091742.jpg
    767.4 KB · Views: 36
  • FindPenguinsfindpenguins_camera_220522-091604.jpg
    FindPenguinsfindpenguins_camera_220522-091604.jpg
    927.5 KB · Views: 35
  • FindPenguinsfindpenguins_camera_220522-091420.jpg
    FindPenguinsfindpenguins_camera_220522-091420.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • 20220522_093607.mp4
    91.3 MB
2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Rozenn

Past OR future Camino
April/may 2022 SJPP to Santiago
View attachment 127839
View attachment 127840
View attachment 127839
View attachment 127840
1655605420069.jpeg

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 105 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings