• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Starting from SJPdP tomorrow, March 17, 2022

CameraHiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
Finally made it to SJPdP starting in the morning. I think there may be about a dozen of us starting tomorrow. Took the taxi from Pamplona and saw several walkers in the road which looked sketchy in a few areas. The peligrino office stated there’s a section on the Valcarlos route that closed due to landslides I think. My Spanish isn’t great and my French is worse.

Looking forward to it.

Bien Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
CameraHiker,
Lucky you starting off tomorrow.
Many of us on the forum who have started from SJPdP will be following you with delight and our own memories. When you can do let us know what the current situation is.

Do be aware that from Valcarlos up to Roncesvalles monastery there are no services nor potabile water.

Stay safe, Carpe diem and Buen camino

Last edited:
If the Napoleon is closed and portions of the Valcarlos route is closed due to a landslide, how will folks walk from SJPP? Just curious.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If the Napoleon is closed and portions of the Valcarlos route is closed due to a landslide, how will folks walk from SJPP? Just curious.
Probably on the verges of route N 135 or a combo of the CF Valcarlos path and N 135. The OP who mentioned landslides may have misunderstood where they recently occured. Such landslides often in the past have occured along the TER rr tracks from Bayonne to SJPdP. For example see here.

Last edited:
I found out, the foot bridge is out about a kilometer past Arnéguy so we must walk on the main road which is still open. That might explain why I saw so many people on the road today during my taxi ride in.

Also I found out that Albergue Suseia iin Zubiri is currently closed but is opening March 26th.

I found out, the foot bridge is out about a kilometer past Arnéguy so we must walk on the main road which is still open. That might explain why I saw so many people on the road today during my taxi ride in.

Also I found out that Albergue Suseia iin Zubiri is currently closed but is opening March 26th.
I am curious to hear about the weather/snow you find. We start in Roncevalles on the 26th and have reservations at Suseia. :)

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thanks for your update. The main route N 135 from Arneguy will lead you up to Valcarlos where you can pick up the camino or continue to follow the road to Roncesvalles. Enjoy your day.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Finally made it to SJPdP starting in the morning. I think there may be about a dozen of us starting tomorrow. Took the taxi from Pamplona and saw several walkers in the road which looked sketchy in a few areas. The peligrino office stated there’s a section on the Valcarlos route that closed due to landslides I think. My Spanish isn’t great and my French is worse.

Looking forward to it.

Bien Camino!
CameraHiker, ….. wish you could told us where did flew from ? If from Canada /USA . What are the latest requirements for entry Into two countries , for Spain and France , for fully vaccinated pilgrims. Im flying from Canada 🇨🇦 next month ,
Buen Camino ! Cheers !

Looking forward to it.

Bien Camino!
Have a lovely time , I start on the 26th from SJPDP myself so I keep an eye on any issues which may be an obstacle..
Beun Camino

Have a lovely time , I start on the 26th from SJPDP myself so I keep an eye on any issues which may be an obstacle..
Beun Camino
Thx 🙏🏻,
I will try to rest on April 26th in SJPP will start on 27th , will stay the night at Auberge Borda in the Pyrenees , 28th in Roncesvalles and so on .
Keep well , Buen Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Lucky you @CameraHiker! It is a beautiful walk, from SJPDP to Arneguy along the path, even if you have to walk some of the road after that. I wear something bright and colourful to be as visible as possible to cars, the road is narrow in places. My fingers crossed you do not have to send too much time on the road. It is usually a lovely walk.

I am curious to hear about the weather/snow you find. We start in Roncevalles on the 26th and have reservations at Suseia. :)

Buen Camino!
May see you on route I have a reservation in Pamplona on Monday 29th .
Been Camino

Thx 🙏🏻,
I will try to rest on April 26th in SJPP will start on 27th , will stay the night at Auberge Borda in the Pyrenees , 28th in Roncesvalles and so on .
Keep well , Buen Camino.
Until 1st April the Mountain pathway through the Pyrenees is closed so I heard from the pilgrims office in SJPDP so we be going via Valcarlos

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thx 🙏🏻,
Keep well , Buen Camino.
Don't forget the wine tap outside the monastery in Estelle but don't drink too much lol

Is it ok to keep one empty plastic bottle in the back pack ? Filler it up, it may come handy when try to chew buggette with rock of cheese , are choking you ? Just Saying ! 😂 Cheers !
Only if you like the cheapest of cheap, harsh, new, almost undrinkable wine. They don't put the Rioja Gran Reserva through the tap. Most of us get to the tap early in the morning having stayed overnight in Estella. 9am is not the best time to taste red wine.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Only if you like the cheapest of cheap, harsh, new, almost undrinkable wine. They don't put the Rioja Gran Reserva through the tap. Most of us get to the tap early in the morning having stayed overnight in Estella. 9am is not the best time to taste red wine.
you are right , but it is novelty ,.. something different, something still unique,.. of course the fountain wine will not win any awards, good for a sip or two, good for a laugh or two, beside I think all wines are good , only some better, My two cents. 😂

CameraHiker, ….. wish you could told us where did flew from ? If from Canada /USA . What are the latest requirements for entry Into two countries , for Spain and France , for fully vaccinated pilgrims. Im flying from Canada 🇨🇦 next month ,
Buen Camino ! Cheers !
You can check this site for up to date requirements. It's easy to use and provides links to the official government sources.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You can check this site for up to date requirements. It's easy to use and provides links to the official government sources.
Camerahiker
My wife Ce from Australia is about 4 weeks ahead of you.
She mentioned the footbridge was taped when she got there near Valcarlos but was able to carefully cross the area.
She found few areas open including bars but there were enough and she had to get a taxi to accommodation one and a bus forward at Monte de Orca but said things were due to all start opening up for the season.
A week ago she had a cough and using her own Rapid Antegen Tests discovered it was Covid and did the right thing and via the hospitalero found a single room in an albergue and is almost over her self imposed self isolation.
As a triple vaxxed person she only got a headache and a cough for a couple of days - much milder than flu in the past.
There are probably a few walking through minor symptoms as it doesn’t seem there are many requirements to test at accommodation.
Enjoy your trip
Buen Camino

Is it ok to keep one empty plastic bottle in the back pack ? Filler it up, it may come handy when try to chew buggette with rock of cheese , are choking you ? Just Saying ! 😂 Cheers !
Yes that's fine , my understanding of it is that there is 1000L a day so enough to fill your spare bottle up

Yes that's fine , my understanding of it is that there is 1000L a day so enough to fill your spare bottle up
the winery only puts a specific amount through each day and many peregrinos use their shell to sip from.
It could be considered a little greedy to fill a bottle and deprive fellow pilgrims who come later.
Up to you and possibly why it is not the best drop but a traditional thing to do.

the winery only puts a specific amount through each day and many peregrinos use their shell to sip from.
It could be considered a little greedy to fill a bottle and deprive fellow pilgrims who come later.
Up to you and possibly why it is not the best drop but a traditional thing to do.
They do ask that you only take 1 litre but saying that when I pass through in the next 10 days or so I just use my shell to sip from after all I don't want extra weight in my backpack

Yes, the footbridge in not in fact out But, it is taped off and there is a small wash out just 20 or so feet prior to the bridge. I don’t know why I saw so many people walking on the road when I took the taxi from Pamplona, maybe they missed some turn offs? We were rarely on the road.

There are many Albergue’s open with many more posted they are opening soon.

The Albergue de Pereginos in Roncesvalles had a full floor with only people in the bottom bunk, so our floor was half full.

I flew out of the United States and only needed the QR code from the SpTH app for entry into the county. I did not need a France Covid Passport for the room in SJPdP.

I’ll try to post more later. Internet is iffy at times.

Yes, the footbridge in not in fact out But, it is taped off and there is a small wash out just 20 or so feet prior to the bridge. I don’t know why I saw so many people walking on the road when I took the taxi from Pamplona, maybe they missed some turn offs? We were rarely on the road.

There are many Albergue’s open with many more posted they are opening soon.

The Albergue de Pereginos in Roncesvalles had a full floor with only people in the bottom bunk, so our floor was half full.

I flew out of the United States and only needed the QR code from the SpTH app for entry into the county. I did not need a France Covid Passport for the room in SJPdP.

I’ll try to post more later. Internet is iffy at times.
The website for the monastery in Roncesvalles says they’re asking for proof of vaccination. What is it they want to see from US pilgrims? I’ve got my paper card but I’m debating asking a French pharmacy to convert it to their Covid pass in spite of it being no longer required, just to have something to show when asked.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just kidding around.. not a wine drinker.. wine in the fountain is safe from me , lol 😂.. Buen Camino.

I realize that people are just joking around, but still want to say that the wine provided at Bodegas Irache is limited to 100 (not 1,000) liters per day. And they do not ask you to only take one liter, they basically ask you to take only a “trago,” which translates as a shot (or in this context perhaps a large sip/small glass) and to think of others who come along later. It also says in Spanish (second photo on the left) that it has to be paid for to be carried away.2DFAF3B3-234C-44E8-BB7F-3CE043413BAD.jpeg0E0473FB-E9F1-4906-8152-679725920B25.jpeg

Last edited:
Buen Camino! Thank you for the updates. I’m in Bayonne and heading to SJPP in the morning so a couple of days behind you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I realize that people are just joking around, but still want to say that the wine provided at Bodegas Irache is limited to 100 (not 1,000) liters per day. And they do not ask you to only take one liter, they basically ask you to take only a “trago,” which translates as a shot (or in this context perhaps a large sip/small glass) and to think of others who come along later. It also says in Spanish that it has to be paid for to be carried away.View attachment 120884View attachment 120885
Thanks, good information 👍

Lucky you @CameraHiker! It is a beautiful walk, from SJPDP to Arneguy along the path, even if you have to walk some of the road after that. I wear something bright and colourful to be as visible as possible to cars, the road is narrow in places. My fingers crossed you do not have to send too much time on the road. It is usually a lovely walk.
Thank you Kanga , fingers crossed, , hoping for the best, Cheers ! Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.