• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from St Jean Pied de Port on August 23rd. Advice?

Jpollhein

Two Texas Travelers, CF 8-23-19 to ?
Time of past OR future Camino
8-23-19 our first one
We are 13 days from departing the US for Paris and then on to St Jean Pied de Port where we will step off on the Route de Napoleon on Friday, August 23rd. We will be taking our time, as we have given ourselves 55 days and have no return date in mind (or ticket home booked!). It would seem to be good timing. Has anyone walked the CF at this time of year? Advice for first timers?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We are 13 days from departing the US for Paris and then on to St Jean Pied de Port where we will step off on the Route de Napoleon on Friday, August 23rd. We will be taking our time, as we have given ourselves 55 days and have no return date in mind (or ticket home booked!). It would seem to be good timing. Has anyone walked the CF at this time of year? Advice for first timers?
I started on the August 21st in 2016 - be prepared for hot weather! It's a good time to start because it may be hot at the beginning, but temperatures should cool down as you get farther into September. Also, you will be ahead of the throngs of pilgrims who start from St Jean in September. Since you have plenty of time, I would suggest booking the first night at Orisson. It will break up the long climb over the Pyrenees (don't worry, it's not technically difficult, but it is a lot of uphill!). It will also give you more time to enjoy the Pyrenees, which are gorgeous, and you will meet many other pilgrims who you will likely see for the next several weeks. If you want to stay at Orisson it is important to book it as soon as possible, as they only have 28 beds.

I started on the August 21st in 2016 - be prepared for hot weather! It's a good time to start because it may be hot at the beginning, but temperatures should cool down as you get farther into September. Also, you will be ahead of the throngs of pilgrims who start from St Jean in September. Since you have plenty of time, I would suggest booking the first night at Orisson. It will break up the long climb over the Pyrenees (don't worry, it's not technically difficult, but it is a lot of uphill!). It will also give you more time to enjoy the Pyrenees, which are gorgeous, and you will meet many other pilgrims who you will likely see for the next several weeks. If you want to stay at Orisson it is important to book it as soon as possible, as they only have 28 beds.

Great minds think alike! I have already booked the first night in Orisson for the same reasons you mention. Thank you so much for the advice.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It will also give you more time to enjoy the Pyrenees, which are gorgeous, and you will meet many other pilgrims who you will likely see for the next several weeks.
In 2015 Peg and I took 58 days to go from SJPdP to SdC (48 walking days, 2 tourist days, 8 recovery/rest days). There were fellow pilgrims we met over a few days but none that we saw over one week. One of the problems of being slow.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I begin the France last next week. I am taking 60 days to walk it. The reality is now beginning to set in. Buen Camino.

Late August through October are my favorite months to hike because the weather, except for an occasional hot day, is great and less rain over all.
Over my 8 Camino's I've gone so fast and long I seldom seen the same people again after the first few days and when I have taken shorter days I have seen more people regularly. However, each trip there is always great company and I have had wonderful conversation with people I just met and didn't see again.
My advice is to relax and enjoy each day, stopping when tired or if a great view. Buen Camino.

Yes, walked at this time twice. First time the weather was just right but second time, it was hotter than July so be prepared, it can be very hot. My biggest problem was the early mornings. I like to start between 6:30 and 7. By the time you get into mid September, it will be quite dark at that time and every morning is darker to the point where it can still be darkish at 8:30. Bring a head torch if you plan to start early. The evenings will get a little cooler towards the end of September and into October but I still did not need a sleeping bag. A fleece liner was good enough. The early mornings in the hills can also be a bit cooler but a microgrid fleece kept me warm until the sun came up. Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for asking this! I’ll be starting one day behind you, so I’m sure we’ll cross paths! I’m also staying at Orrison, but then a bit offstage. Buen Camino

I begin the France last next week. I am taking 60 days to walk it. The reality is now beginning to set in. Buen Camino.
When donyou start walking? I start on the 22nd

The climb to Orisson is tough. If it looks like being a hot day take plenty of water. The first time I did it I inhaled about 2 litres of water in an attempt to replace the water I was sweating!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Great minds think alike! I have already booked the first night in Orisson for the same reasons you mention. Thank you so much for the advice.
I am starting on Aug 23 from SJPdP, and have also booked into Orisson, so I'm sure we'll bump into each other! I only land in France the day before from Australia, so thought I'd take it easy to start with.

water, water, water - your gonna love this stuff.
lightweight, breathable trailrunners, hiking poles.
those first days will test your mettle for endurance, either uphill or down.
take the days slow and steady until the heat changes your understanding of how to hike each day.
Buen Camino!

Hi Guys, I’m starting 10 days behind you but I’ve only got 45 days to finish so at some point our paths will cross along the way. Hope we see each other somewhere along the road. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi, I' m starting at SJPDP in the 23. too. Unfortunately I couldn't get a bed at Orisson so I'm thinking about taking the Valcarlos route and spending a night there (don't want to taxi forth and back) to split the first day. Maybe we will meet day 2 or 3 :)

Hi, I' m starting at SJPDP in the 23. too. Unfortunately I couldn't get a bed at Orisson so I'm thinking about taking the Valcarlos route and spending a night there (don't want to taxi forth and back) to split the first day.
I know people on this forum rave about Orisson but.... I wouldn’t worry if you couldn’t book there. The worst (ie steepest) part is the 8km from St Jean to Orisson, after that it is much easier and - imo - very do-able even if you aren’t used to hiking or very fit...
The key - again, only my opinion! - is to take it slowly, at your pace and NOT carry the kitchen sink with you! 😉

I know people on this forum rave about Orisson but.... I wouldn’t worry if you couldn’t book there.(....)
The key - again, only my opinion! - is to take it slowly, at your pace and NOT carry the kitchen sink with you! 😉
Thank you for your advice! I thought a lot about just "trying to make it" to Roncesvalles day 1. For my Camino last year I trained quite a bit and was still happy I decided to split the first 2 days into 3 portions to ease into it. This year I carry less stuff, smaller backpack but I hadn't time to take more than a few walks to test my gear. And the next 2 weeks will have a lot more for me on the plate so I decided to take my time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey everyone, I'm new here and I'm planning to start el camino from either Lourdes or SJPdP from late August to then join El Camino del Norte. I've been suggested to start from Lourdes to get more of the Pyrenees. Would you agree with that, is it worthy?

Yes, walked at this time twice. First time the weather was just right but second time, it was hotter than July so be prepared, it can be very hot. My biggest problem was the early mornings. I like to start between 6:30 and 7. By the time you get into mid September, it will be quite dark at that time and every morning is darker to the point where it can still be darkish at 8:30. Bring a head torch if you plan to start early. The evenings will get a little cooler towards the end of September and into October but I still did not need a sleeping bag. A fleece liner was good enough. The early mornings in the hills can also be a bit cooler but a microgrid fleece kept me warm until the sun came up. Buen Camino
Great information Pilgrim, thanks a mil.

Highly recommend getting reservations at Beilari in St Jean. Great way to start the Camino. Www.beilari.info

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back