• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting from the UK

Hansel

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances and Fisterre (2018,08) ,Camino Primitivo, and Fisterre,(2019,04)
This thread may have been covered before,
Looking at starring from home,Ayrshire in Scotland,not walking,there would be way too much road walking involved.
But cycling to Santiago,would I be able to find anywhere in the UK to stamp a compostella?
Thanks Bill

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It doesn’t have to be a special stamp. Lot’s of businesses have some sort. The Royal Mail’s local offices would suffice.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you're passing through Canterbury then the cathedral has this one:

1580672154146.png 1580672170219.png

Copied from a floor tile in an nearby leper hospital/church.

I collected some good ones on my way from Canterbury to Dover - most parish churches have a stamp - and then lost my passports (UK and Camino) on the way home :(

And it's the Credential you get stamped - you don't get the Compostela until Santiago! ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Looking at starring from home,Ayrshire in Scotland,not walking,there would be way too much road walking involved.
But cycling to Santiago,would I be able to find anywhere in the UK to stamp a compostella?
Thanks Bill

I wouldn't be so sure about the road walking, there are a lot of splendid walking trails in Scotland and England available! Stamps are available pretty much anywhere, for example, try the post offices (no joke!).
BC SY

PS The Compostela is what you get at the end, in Santiago, the pilgrim's passport is called a credential in Spanish - Hair splitting German here, sorry ...

Possibly council offices, registry office, tourist offices.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If push comes to shove you could take a picture of yourself by a village sign to show you were there. The pilgrim office staff last October accepted a photo of a couple by the Sarria town sign as proof that they were there, and that Sarria was where they had started from. They also had the necessary two stamps for each day during the final 100k in the credentias so they were awarded the compostela.

Last edited:
Might be an idea to contact your local group - see www.csj.org.uk

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When I walked in the UK (apart from Canterbury to Dover) stamps were few and far between. Even in Southwark Cathedral I had to chase up a number of people in order to get a stamp. Further North from London I found them even harder to obtain. I got some very strange looks from people at times. Granted, that was 5 years or more ago now so things may have changed. I did get a sticker from the Rochester Cathedral - one they give the children, the priest used lateral thinking for that one!

Thanks for all replies,glad I'm not setting off today,yes I realised I had credential mixed up with compostella, too much practice with the vino tinto,;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Mary how are you getting on with planning your Camino?
Hi Bill
17 weeks till I start walking on 7 June. I’ve booked my first few nights as far as Zubiri and will take each day as it comes after that and stop wherever I feel like it. I retire from work in 11 weeks so nothing to rush home for. I plan to do Finisterre/Muxia circuit if I’m not sick of walking by the time I get to Santiago and then have a couple of weeks travelling. At the gym Monday to Saturday and doing mixture of weights, cardio and core work. Walking once or twice a week at the moment. Will get easier when the weather gets better and the nights get lighter.
When are you planning to start your cycle?
Marie

Hi Bill
17 weeks till I start walking on 7 June. I’ve booked my first few nights as far as Zubiri and will take each day as it comes after that and stop wherever I feel like it. I retire from work in 11 weeks so nothing to rush home for. I plan to do Finisterre/Muxia circuit if I’m not sick of walking by the time I get to Santiago and then have a couple of weeks travelling. At the gym Monday to Saturday and doing mixture of weights, cardio and core work. Walking once or twice a week at the moment. Will get easier when the weather gets better and the nights get lighter.
Marie
I am excited for you, Mary, on both counts--retiring and pilgrimaging, all in a matter of weeks!

Hi Bill
Marie
Hi Marie, all sounds good,I am hoping to leave at the beginning of April,weather dependant,and cycle to Santiago,then down to Fatima,and start volunteering at a small family organic farm near Lisbon.
I have written it here,so it's happening!
I also have Ryanair tickets for Porto in June,which was my original plan,and finish the Portuguese cahmino, but yolo,
Bill

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Marie, all sounds good,I am hoping to leave at the beginning of April,weather dependant,and cycle to Santiago,then down to Fatima,and start volunteering at a small family organic farm near Lisbon.
I have written it here,so it's happening!
I also have Ryanair tickets for Porto in June,which was my original plan,and finish the Portuguese cahmino, but yolo,
Bill
Sounds like you’ve really got the Camino bug. You may as well enjoy life while you can who knows what the future holds. That’s why I decided to take early retirement while I’m still in good health. The farm work sounds interesting and another opportunity for new experiences. Enjoy!

If you're passing through Canterbury then the cathedral has this one:
I received a warm welcome (and free admission) to the pilgrim albergue museum in Canterbury
I didn't have a credential with me but I am sure they will have a stamp.
It was quite funny going into the medieval building as it seemed a very normal albergue to me. I was thinking, where are the bunks? 🤣

I received a warm welcome (and free admission) to the pilgrim albergue museum in Canterbury
I didn't have a credential with me but I am sure they will have a stamp.
It was quite funny going into the medieval building as it seemed a very normal albergue to me. I was thinking, where are the bunks? 🤣
Took my younger daughter there once (born and raised in Kent, BA in Archaeology and Anthropology).

Looking at the 12th century frescos: "How come nobody ever told me about these?" and then "So you sleep in places like this all across Spain? Cool!"

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sounds like you’ve really got the Camino bug. You may as well enjoy life while you can who knows what the future holds. That’s why I decided to take early retirement while I’m still in good health. The farm work sounds interesting and another opportunity for new experiences. Enjoy!
You will have too,when you get to Muxia or Finisterre ,which ever you finish walking to.
I had never heard of Muxia ,until about ten days in,and folk were telling me about Muxia,I have walked to both twice now,
Galicia in spring time is very much like Scotland,I can see the appeal,but hopefully I will find somewhere slightly drier.
Bill

Thanks Bill
Hi, how did you get on with stamps in the UK please? I'm looking to walk from home to Santiago via France and the daily stamp is probably my biggest concern! Thank you

Hi, how did you get on with stamps in the UK please? I'm looking to walk from home to Santiago via France and the daily stamp is probably my biggest concern! Thank you
As has been said above all sorts of places have some sort of stamp. Post Offices, Police Stations and even parish offices are the easy ones. And it doesn’t even have to be a “rubber” stamp. Several of my credencial feature signatures and dates. “I saw this pilgrim, here, on this day”. And be minded that the Pilgrims Office requirement for obtaining a Compostela are only that you obtain TWO stamps per day in the final 100km into Santiago. That which you have achieved before is of little interest to them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As has been said above all sorts of places have some sort of stamp. Post Offices, Police Stations and even parish offices are the easy ones. And it doesn’t even have to be a “rubber” stamp. Several of my credencial feature signatures and dates. “I saw this pilgrim, here, on this day”. And be minded that the Pilgrims Office requirement for obtaining a Compostela are only that you obtain TWO stamps per day in the final 100km into Santiago. That which you have achieved before is of little interest to them.
Fantastico! Muchas Gracias. I hadn't comprehended correctly the 100km rule. I really appreciate you putting my mind to rest.

You are more than welcome. Your plan sounds wonderful. I will urge you to gather yourself several credencial and collect a stamp whenever and wherever you can. I am proud of my Compostelas but it is the reviewing of my credencials and remembering all those places and peoples that bring me joy.
Buen Camino

Hi Stewart,
I cycled all the way to Santiago,and Muxia,
didn't get to Portugal,Covid!
I only started collecting stamps from Vezelay,
I noticed Camino shells from Belgium.
Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.