• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in 1 week, concerned about Pyrenees weather 2013!

soopi25

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2013 - July 2013
Hi Everyone!

I've been gearing up to start my first Camino in one week's time and watching the weather forecast like a hawk! I am starting in St Jean Thurs, May 23 and walking to Orisson where I'll stay the night before continuing on to Roncesvalles. I understand the weather can be quite changeable and it looks like Sunday on will be sunny – is there any point in hoping that it won't be rainy Thurs/Fri? I was so looking forward to the views in the Pyrenees!

Either way it's now or never!! :D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Quite changeable indeed, we should be in the middle of our spring weather and it hasn't arrived yet. Today there was some sun and the temps got out of the teens. I drove back from Toulouse yesterday in a very heavy rain and sleet, it was snowing in the mountains near Pau. Everyone here is grumbling about the seemingly endless winter of 2012/13. Next week could and should be beautiful, but don't take that from me.

This is a clear reminder that Mother Nature makes the decisions on this one. The only thing you can do is be prepared - have the right clothing for whatever weather you might encounter, and heed the warnings of the people at the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP.

I walked over this past Sun/Mon. From SJPP to Orisson we had gorgeous views in every direction. Then the next day we walked in the clouds until just before the descent into Roncesvalles. By then we were above the clouds and that made for a breathtaking scene with snow-capped mountains in the far distance.

The week before when I walked over it was clear in every direction the whole way and pleasantly warm for both days. Previous days there was 30 degree scorching sun, high winds, rain, etc. You will have the weather you have!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
S, I'll be starting from St. Jean the same morning as you and since we cannot control what Mother Nature chooses to present us then the attitude must be: what can't be cured must be endured. Of course it's a lot easy to endure warm sunny weather. :wink:

Fingers crossed for a cool sunny day on the Route Napoleon but I'm hoping to get as far as Burguete on day 1, weather and legs permitting.

Buen camino

Seamus

http://supersullivan.wordpress.com/2013 ... ng-stroll/

We left SJPDP two days ago and crossed via Napolean Way. Mother Nature certainly put on a display for us - we had snow, sleet, rain, strong wind gusts, blizzard conditions. It was very very tough. We limped into Roncesvalles 8 hours later. I will never forget it and would not have missed it for the world. :D
Buen Camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
biarritzdon - Yes here in NYC we are wondering where our Spring is too! She's shown her face this week but we're all still a bit skeptical of her official arrival :)

nreyn12 - You are absolutely right, the weather will be what it will be! There's no turning back now!!

Seamus - Lovely that we are starting on the same day! Perhaps we will run into each other on the way to Orisson before you head off to Burguete. Buen camino to you too!

Office girl - That sounds so scary!!! I'm beginning to wonder if I need more clothing! Glad to hear you made it through all that though, buen camino indeed!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
From Montreal du Gers, the Pyrenees seem to be completely covered with snow from yesterday's system.

hiya falcon,

It will be cold atop the mighty Pyrenees, but not snowing!
I recommend a sleeping bag for your night in Roncensveax.
I am now in Obanos (cold in the albergue) and the walking these past days has been FANTASTIC...mud and rain, yes...and one´s shoes are rarely clean...but all so green and many flowers are in bloom...plus there are windows of sunshine!!! I love Camino Frances.
:mrgreen:

I'm seriously considering heading up there with you. If I'm gonna freeze at least I'll be in familiar territory! Lol.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm 2 days behind you! I check the weather daily - looks like I might be walking in some rain. At least it won't be boiling hot!

If the weather is really bad wait it out for a day.

Other than that there is no point in being concerned with the weather. Its gonna do what its gonna do and there is nothing you can do about it.

Hi
I am beginning the camino on 2nd June from St. Jean Pied de Port. It is my first time to do the camino and I am wondering what the weather is like there at the moment? Any suggestions on what I should pack...?? I am a little concerned about snow etc crossing the pyrenees!
Thanks in advance!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What would the weather be for the week starting on the 27th May? We will be walking the 29 up to Orisson & the 30th to Roncevalles, will it still be very Cold?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

I am also starting the camino on June 2 and it is my first time too. We will be starting in SJPP and hope the rain holds off to leave on Sunday....if not then we might postpone a few days. Luckily we have the luxury of staying with friends in southern France and not on a time crutch...I want to go on a day that isn't wet...so hopefully June 2.

Google weather St Jean Pied du Port and you'll get a 14 day forecast - gives an indication of what the mountain will do. Looks wet and maximum about 15 Celsius until 2 June, then sunny and max of 22.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am here in st jean
Strong advice not to cross napoleon route tomorrow 28 may
Advised weather will worsen over next 2 days
It has snowed then rained
Tomorrow is snow high winds 42kmph
And temps dropping to zero by weds
I am devastated but will take the advice
I have good gear ( i think) but its my first camino and not experienced in area
I booked orrison
I guess i'll loose the money in name of safety and take the winter route around
Is anyone planning to cross next 2 days ?

@clairescamino

Do not worry! If the weather get really bad, the hospitalero at Orisson could make a transfer to Rute Valcarlos. I was over the Pyrenneas twice and even if the prognosis is "good" that doesn't mean you are spared of some shower, fog, strong & cold wind etc. All of mentioned could happen in 15minutes turns. And it happens almost every day. I can understand money issues, but in those mountains you could get lost, out of food and water, frozen etc. ... if you're not experienced. Take it easy and take it as it is. It's Camino :D

Ultreia!

We started on the 30th and the way over the mountain was closed, it rained and rained and rained, from Roncevalles it also rained - a LOT, but today the 2nd of june, no rain, little cold and wind, but much better - the Mud was a nightmare!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just walked the Napolean route today and it was open. It was very chilly and cold...a hat helped my poor little ears. My hips are the sorest part of my body from the climb and descent. Prepare yourself for very wet and muddy paths if you are going soon! The snow is still melting on top...we saw patches of snow today. Buen camino! Night night time in Roncesvalles.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back