• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in 5 days and close to panic!

Fritzi

Time of past OR future Camino
CF starting May 15, 2017
Hello everyone,

This forum is by far the greatest source available to prepare yourself for the Camino. I got fabulous advice, awesome tips & tricks and useful input I haven't even thought about yet. :)

I have all my gear packed and ready to go - if there wasn't my heart beating faster every day I am getting closer to my departure. In 5 days I will be in the Pyrenees and walking towards Roncesvalles and this little voice inside my head just keeps on nourishing my doubts: :(

- I haven't trained at all, will I be still able to do it?!
- What if I lose interest in walking everyday and just give up because of my lac of discipline?!
- Why am I leaving my beloved ones at home that I already miss like crazy although I haven't even left yet?!

I am actually a very easy going, laid back and chilled person, but right now I am as nervous as I have never been in my life before. :confused:

Just please tell me that you've been there too: overanalysing everything, questioning the whole "why", but in the end pushed yourself, had an unique life experience and happy that you actually walked the Way.

Thanks for lifting my tiny ego and sunny hugs from Zurich,
Fritzi

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Fritzi, it's someplace probably everyone has been before the first Camino, especially if you're doing it alone. You think you must be out of your mind. But just know that once you get (to SJPP?) you'll see what the general situation is - charming place, excited/happy pilgrims starting out, most eager to make connections and being kind to each other, and a stunning, exhilarating day through the Pyrenees. After that, you settle into the calm of hiking and wishing each other well, and the easy routine of this wonderful pared-down way of doing things. There's adversity, to be sure, and you'll do fine with it. It's stressful right now because it's an unknown thing, but know that you'll be more comfortable once you get the feel of how it is. Buen Camino to you, Peregrina!!

Hello everyone,

This forum is by far the greatest source available to prepare yourself for the Camino. I got fabulous advice, awesome tips & tricks and useful input I haven't even thought about yet. :)

I have all my gear packed and ready to go - if there wasn't my heart beating faster every day I am getting closer to my departure. In 5 days I will be in the Pyrenees and walking towards Roncesvalles and this little voice inside my head just keeps on nourishing my doubts: :(

- What if I lose interest in walking everyday and just give up because of my lac of discipline?!
- Why am I leaving my beloved ones at home that I already miss like crazy although I haven't even left yet?!

I am actually a very easy going, laid back and chilled person, but right now I am as nervous as I have never been in my life before. :confused:

Just please tell me that you've been there too: overanalysing everything, questioning the whole "why", but in the end pushed yourself, had an unique life experience and happy that you actually walked the Way.

Fritzi
I hope that this helps. Yes, I was there too (and many others, I am sure). A few days before I left to do the CF, I was full of doubts (amazingly, exactly the same as yours!). I had a wonderful experience, met some great people, and by the time I was halfway through I already knew that I would be returning to do another Camino. I leave in a little less than a month. I will do a two week placement as a hospitalera, and then begin the Camino Primitivo. And the doubts have already started (again). What I found helped me is that I always had a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, .... (and do again) - what I could do if it was too difficult, what I could do if I got injured, etc. The fact that you see yourself as being easy going and laid back is great - you'll take things as they come and deal with them. Best of luck on your Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello everyone,

Fritzi

When I got to SJJP a lot of self-doubt came rushing forward. Mainly because of health issues. After reaching Orisson which I thought I was going to die (literally) along the way and then the next day to Roncevalles, I realized I could do this. We were not able to fully train because of family circumstances, so for one who was 66 and had a previous heart attack in 2005 and finding out a week before I left I was diabetic too there was a lot of doubt, apprehension, and excitement. We/I made it to Santiago. I have my Compostela in hand, actually framed and on my office wall at home...lol This year, I will be 67, had a full array of cardiovascular tests, lost weight, packed lighter (last year my pack weighed over 30lbs/16g because early on along the way my wife broke a bone in her foot so I had to carry a lot of her stuff too) and trained harder. My pack weighs 7kg/14lbs this year (bought a smaller one so I am forced to carry less ..lol). Last year was a real test for me, this year it will be a test once again but I will be better prepared.

You WILL do this, you WILL finish it and you WILL look back smile because of what you accomplished and the people you met along the Way !!! Buen Camino !!!!

I remember wondering "what have I done? Why am I leaving my family? Why did I decide to do this alone?" as I got to the airport to leave and then my doubts grew and grew...until I saw the first arrow pointing me in the right direction. At that point I remembered why I was there and it was an amazing journey.
Take it easy your first few days since you haven't trained. Ease your body into it if you can.
Buen Camino!

Hello everyone,

Fritzi
Hola, Fritzi,

You'll do just great even if you didn't train at all. After my mishap in 2009 when I twisted my ankle while jogging 2 weeks prior to my first Camino (and ended it in tears in Logrono) I have never again trained purposely for any Camino. Just don't push it too hard first few days and allow your body to adjust to completely new everyday routine. You'll find similar adjustment period after return from Spain.

One more thing to add. You don't question why you're on Camino, it's useless, something just called you there. If anything than question yourself what's that thing that called you ;)

Ultreia!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Everyone else has given you good advice here Fritzi. Fears are normal, you'd be crazy if you weren't nervous about setting off on the unknown, with no way of judging what you have gotten yourself into. Once you set off though, this will all disappear. Your fears are real, but as soon as you start the climb out of SJPP, you will realize that your fears were unfounded. You can do this, and there is nothing to fear but fear itself.

Buen Camino!

It will be amazing Fritzi. You will do just fine.
Nun entspanne Dich, Tief durchatmen, Alles wird gut!

Buen Camino

Hello everyone,

Fritzi
Hi Fritzi!

I exactly know how you feel.. :) I feel the same! Starting on Sunday from SJPdP and I'm so f*cking nervous! :rolleyes: Guess it is normal, because you think about a lot of things.. But we have to be strong!
You know what is the funniest thing and saddest at the same time? I walked the Camino 3 years ago, I do know it, but still so nervous.. :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Fritzi - all I can add is - Take action today!

Pick up your pack, strap it on, and go for a 10km hike. It was the only thing I didn't think to do, try out the weight, try out the pack, try out the shoes all together and realize this is not to bad!

You will crush this!!!! :p But in a quiet, Camino way!

Buen Camino

A young female pilgrim had almost your exact issues at the end of day one out of Pamplona. Solution? A big hug, a small cry, another hug from the hospitalera who has walked the Camino, moved her to a more suitable bed. Result a smiling face the following morning. So what am I saying? Arrive at your preferred starting point, take a day to gather your thoughts & then set out, small days at first, build up as you go along. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
hi Fritzi, i guess you understand german. so i will wright here further in german, it's for me easeer to typ german.... if not, i will translate it for you...
liebe Fritzi, mach dir keine sorgen, gehe einfach den weg, nimm dir aber "zeit" das ist das wichtigste, lass dich nicht verführen um ein schnelleres tempo zu gehen das du selber nicht magst... und sobald du irgendwass an dein füsse spürtst schaue nach, vielleicht ist es ein steinchen oder zufiehl sand in den schuhe, das gibt blasen und die musst du vermeiden... aber vergiss auf keinenfall zu geniesen, schaue dir die gegend an... du wirst es sicher nie leid, du wirst es geniesen. okay, es gibt auch scheiss tage (wenn es regnet oder so) aber die schöne werden dich dafür entlohnen.... du wirst soviel nette leute treffen, und soviel gespräche haben das du diese erfahrun NIEEEEEEE wieder vergessen wirst.... ich bin letztes jahr 500 km gewandert von burgos nach Santiago, und ich gehe am 19 mai wieder los, diesmal aber ab SJPdP, und kann es noch kaum erwarten.... du wirst den urlaub deines leben erleben.... leider werden wir uns wahrscheinlich nicht treffen, falls doch freue ich mich, aber ich wünsche dir auf jedenfall ein herzliches "BUEN CAMINO" x

Hello everyone,

Fritzi
Hi Fritzi.
I start my first Camino on 16 of May I have the same feeling, so don't feel alone. We will both complete and enjoy our Camino, make new friends and hopefully more meaning about life.

Gute Nerventropfen von der lowenapotheke (Dr Reller) auf der Bahnhofstrasse. Oder halt Bach Bluten 'Rescue Remedy' tropfen. beides gut zu empfehlen :)
und nein, kann dir nicht sagen das ich da schon mal war - "overanalysing everything, questioning the whole "why" --
ist meist sehr unnutz. wir brauchen nicht alles im vorraus wissen, und es gibt keine grund resultate kontrollieren zu wollen oder zu mussen. geh voran, schritt fur schritt und geniesse die freiheit dieses weges.
Mai war eine sehr schone zeit unterwegs zu sein ... vielleicht wirst du noch viele schone wildblumen erleben ...
buen camino - C

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh wow! :eek:

Reading all your lovely, heart warming and supporting comments is just the greatest way to start a day (Could get used to this boost :))
I don't know what to say, really thankful for these upliftings - that helped a lot. Feeling much more positiv and energised now!
It's just great to understand that most of us are sitting in the same boat and as we say in German: "shared trouble is half the trouble" ;)

And another nice thing was a little sign from above yesterday. I went to a rest room in a bar in Zurich and this is what welcomed me :p:)

full

Oh wow! :eek:

Reading all your lovely, heart warming and supporting comments is just the greatest way to start a day (Could get used to this boost :))
I don't know what to say, really thankful for these upliftings - that helped a lot. Feeling much more positiv and energised now!
It's just great to understand that most of us are sitting in the same boat and as we say in German: "shared trouble is half the trouble" ;)

And another nice thing was a little sign from above yesterday. I went to a rest room in a bar in Zurich and this is what welcomed me :p:)

full

Hi Firzi,

Good luck in your Camino! I think thats normal all your doubts and thoughs. I am starting on Saturday in SJJPDP my first Camino and I am in same possition as you. I believe all this will change once we start and never want to finish.

Enjoy a lot!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello, Fritzi. I could have written your original post. I feel the same way. The excitement and the doubt are in conflict in my head. I am 70 years old and this is my first Camino. I leave St Jean Pied de Port 18 May and have allowed as much as 6 weeks to finish. I keep telling myself that I can do whatever I want to do but still have doubts. The excitement of this coming adventure overrides everything else. Please continue to post your feelings about your first few days. There are many of us that would benefit from hearing how well you are going to do. Buen Camino, Ed

full

The love from all of us coalesced into a physical manifestation! Think of each one of those shell as one of the forum members wishing you luck, love and joy on your camino!

Buen Camino

Yep been there and felt that .... 60 last year .... no time to train ... started st Jean via valcarlos ..... decided to rock up and see what happened ..... what happened was great .... I learnt patience , stay in the moment , deal with any obstacles as the arose ( not before they arose because many obstacles others had did not present to me )

Ultreia - onwards and upwards everyday

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Fritzi,
I began my Camino Frances last year on May 23. As it gets closer to that time again, I'm really missing it! It was a truly amazing experience. My going in expectations were a little different than you've heard so far. I've always prided myself on being fit and expected to just kill it with no problems. Which, I did for about 5 days until my ankles became so swollen and sore I could hardly walk. I began to have doubts if I could go on. About that time, a lady who is a German podiatrist just happen to be behind me at the pharmacy. She told me the problem (severely inflamed achilles tendons) and what I need to do to treat it so they could heal. I took a day off to keep them on ice, hiked shorter distances for a few days, wrapping and medicating each day. Back to full speed within a week. Like life, you can’t make the journey without the help & encouragement of others along the way. You will almost certainly have some type of issue/challenge, but plenty of people will be there to help and encourage you on. You are in for one of life's special treats! Good luck...

I think it's a wonderful reminder of the fact that we are just human and have so much in common when faced with something new! I thought I had hit my fear limit when I took my motorbike test, or went scuba diving in very choppy waters once, but in fact I hit a new level of fear arriving in St Jean de Pied Port and wondering what on earth I was doing there. Several years later I no longer ride a motor bike, or go diving but every year I go back to walk a new road because the fear has been replaced by sheer joy at being able to do something so exhilarating and life confirming (for me!)
Fritzi, go and have your adventure and take the good wishes and thoughts from us all.

Hello everyone,

Fritzi

Welcome to camino. Yoh will have plenty of unfit puffing pilgrims for company. Most will survive again 1 step and 6 to 8 hours later Roncevalles and vino tinto

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello everyone,

Just please tell me that you've been there too: overanalysing everything, questioning the whole "why", but in the end pushed yourself, ?"
Hello everyone,

Fritzi

Hi Fritz, I've walked 3 times. Each time I had "night fears." I would wake up in the middle of the night and say to myself, "You're going to do WHAT?" Once I got there, there was no other place in the world I wanted to be. And now I'm thinking of going again, and my night fears still say, "You're going to do WHAT?" So, no you are not alone. And I can assure you, you won't be alone on the Camino--even if you walk alone. Pilgrims are there for each other! Perfect opportunity for both solitude and community.

Hello everyone,

Fritzi
Well, Fritzi, you must be on your way now. Or coming to St.Jean this very day...

How do you feel being so close to that thing called Camino? :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I simply love it!!

So many things happened already and this is day 2! People are nice, food and wine is great, my legs are muuuuuch stronger then I thought and today I've walked to Zubiri as quickly as in my trainings (where I had no backpack on *yeahh*)

My mood is up, my head is high, my heart is light :D

Was thinking of summarizing my days and posting it online, but just realized I am too lazy. :cool:

One funny thing though: I bought a scallop patch for my backpack with the cross of Santiago on it and sewed it on. Right before I started for day 1 I've realized that stupid me put it on upside down. So I am currently walking the Camino with the cross of Satan on my back!! But as it took me almost 1 hour zu stab the needle through the thick fabric, I definitely won't change it (again - too lazy), I tell myself that when god looks from above, the cross isn't upside down for him anymore. Well, at least if he does so like a bat :p
Otherwise I am sure he won't be mad with me.

So I am looking on the bright side and enjoying it so far very much, thank you for asking ;)

Although I'm sure we would very much like to read your day-by-day posts it's completely OK to be lazy :D

I'm glad all your fears were just blown away in two days. Enjoy, Fritzi!!!

Ultreia!

I simply love it!!

So many things happened already and this is day 2! People are nice, food and wine is great, my legs are muuuuuch stronger then I thought and today I've walked to Zubiri as quickly as in my trainings (where I had no backpack on *yeahh*)

Was thinking of summarizing my days and posting it online, but just realized I am too lazy. :cool:

I'm so glad you are there and enjoying it. Feel free to ignore the forum while you are there and spend all of your time on the camino.

Buen Camino Fritzi, you are doing it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I simply love it!!

One funny thing though: I bought a scallop patch for my backpack with the cross of Santiago on it and sewed it on. Right before I started for day 1 I've realized that stupid me put it on upside down. So I am currently walking the Camino with the cross of Satan on my back!! But as it took me almost 1 hour zu stab the needle through the thick fabric, I definitely won't change it (again - too lazy), I tell myself that when god looks from above, the cross isn't upside down for him anymore. Well, at least if he does so like a bat :p
Otherwise I am sure he won't be mad with me.

So I am looking on the bright side and enjoying it so far very much, thank you for asking ;)

Wonderful!!

We all have been 'there' ;) But...just let it go and all will be good. And for sure infront, believe it or not but you're gonna miss the special Camino feeling. Trust me.

Wish you a buen Camino!

Marcel

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Although I'm sure we would very much like to read your day-by-day posts it's completely OK to be lazy :D

I will share 2-4 pics a day on my Instagram account "the_fritzel_schnitzel" in case someone is interested ;)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back