• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Amsterdam or Berlin?

Sinenomene

Is it possible to extend the trip? i was originally planning on the appalachian trail but as i completed the long trail this year i decided id rather goto europe. i was planning on a 6 month adventure and was wondering/thinking on ways to extend the pilgrimage. Sooo. Is it possible to start someone else in europe and then pick up on the way once you get to one of the classic starting points? i was even thinking of starting from my home in the usa, where i guess in reality everyone starts. So any suggestions on other fantastic places to start over there? i dont mind squiggly lines and i am quite fond of the mountains... any suggestions are greatly appreciatted.
thanks
sine

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Sine,
If you have six months, you could start in Canterbury UK and walk to Rome along the Via Francigena (http://www.francigena-international.org) and then walk to Santiago from there.

Sil

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
a longer walk

Get hold of Clear Waters Rising by Nick Crane. He walked west to east across Europe and I think used Santiago route but in reverse. You could do his route in reverse which would bring you back to Santiago.
I think that there are some starting points in Austria also.
Check out the GR designated routes through Europe. I think there is one that starts in north Norway and ends at Med. That would cross several Santiago routes. If all else fails use canal system and walk the towpaths.

Buen Camino
Michael W

ps If you want a really really tough walk check out the GR10 Pyrenean Trail.

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.