• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Burgos

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
HI, my schedule has changed and now I'll be starting in Burgos rather than SJPDP. Can I get a scallop shell in Burgos?
Hi Jojo , and when you get the shell you have to go inside the kathedral.
It's very beautyfull and you can get a nice sello for in your Credencial.

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, there are shops with pilgrim's stuff near the cathedral.
I recommend not planning your walk too much...no matter what, you sometimes have to improvise on the spot. And it is better that way.
Yes, there are shops with pilgrim's stuff near the cathedral.
I recommend not planning your walk too much...no matter what, you sometimes have to improvise on the spot. And it is better that way.
Thanks Filipe,
I have not planned my walk hardly at all just like you suggest. I know Ill be in Burgos in November (flying into Madrid and taking bus) and then I'm going to "wing it" the rest of the way. I cant wait!

Hi Jojo , and when you get the shell you have to go inside the kathedral.
It's very beautyfull and you can get a nice sello for in your Credencial.

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino,Peter.
Thank you Peter, I'm very excited. 1 month to go and Ill be there. Thank you for your advise. I made very little plans past Burgos other than Id like to see many of the churches all along the way.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you have time, The museum of human civilization is also worth visiting!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
mspath - I cant thank you enough for all the great information I have received from you. Your own blog has been great and the links you give to so many other fact filled pages has been so educational.
Can I ask you to join me on my walk? :)

JojoK,

Thank you for your kind comments and tempting invitation!
Unfortunately now at 78 planning ahead for another actual camino is difficult.

Nevertheless I wish you all the best.
Happy planning, Buen camino and, in the truest sense, Ultreia!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
JojoK,

Should you think twice about it and get tempted.... we can do it together with the help of each other.
The invitation will be there waiting for you :)

HI, my schedule has changed and now I'll be starting in Burgos rather than SJPDP. Can I get a scallop shell in Burgos?
I just left Burgos. The magnificent cathedral there has a shop and I believe you can get a scallop there, but don't trust my answer. I checked in to SJPP AND DIDN'T NEED ONE in Burgos. Burgos is a huge and welcoming city; I'm know there is a Camino information center there.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We started in Burgos also. It's a neat city. We only had 1 afternoon and evening there, but could have easily spent an extra day. I would do that if you have the time. I didn't buy a scallop shell there, but I am sure they sell them - they sell them all kinds of places along the Camino. I bought mine in some random shop in a village.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
JoJo -
Welcome to the forum.
Planning is good, but not essential. All you need to do is assess, adapt and overcome. All the pieces will fall into place along the way.

Enjoy yourself and Buen Camino !

JoJo -
Welcome to the forum.
Planning is good, but not essential. All you need to do is assess, adapt and overcome. All the pieces will fall into place along the way.

Enjoy yourself and Buen Camino !

Thanks Bob - no words were truer than those three. Thank You!

November? A little off the topic but make sure you have enough layers to keep you warm and some good waterproofs / poncho - enjoy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Burgos is beautiful. One useful tip: the cathedral entrance lobby has loads of luggage storage which you can use for a returnable Euro. If you get there early in the day, before the albergues are taking registrations, deposit your rucksack here and enjoy your tour of the town unencumbered by bags. Bliss!

Burgos is beautiful. One useful tip: the cathedral entrance lobby has loads of luggage storage which you can use for a returnable Euro. If you get there early in the day, before the albergues are taking registrations, deposit your rucksack here and enjoy your tour of the town unencumbered by bags. Bliss!

Great advise - Thank you Adrian!! I will get into Burgos pretty early and have given thought to what will I do with my pack when I get there. Im anxious spend time looking around and would love to do it "pack free". :)

JojoK,

Hi! As I continue to check and re-check my packing list and I think of you and all your great advise - ok, how about meet me and we walk just a short camino from Burgo to Leon together? Its ok if you cant but I thought I would give it one more try. I am just so please with all your worldly advise that you give in your blog, to me as well as to others on this site. :)

€149,-
Last month when we stayed in Burgos, we were very happy to find a great place to do laundry. It's across the river from the cathedral. Walking south on Plaza Vega (which becomes Calle Madrid), look for Calle Miranda on your left. You will see it close to the bus station. They have several large washing machines and huge dryers. If you time it right, you can get a 1/2 hour massage at the clinic around the corner while your clothes are being cleaned.

Buen Camino!, fellow Vode Izlanduh. Starting in Burgos, you will immediately get into the Meseta and all the contemplation it offers. I walked for the first time this April/May and found this section a rewarding mind wash. Hope you enjoy your journey

get into the Meseta and all the contemplation it offers. I walked for the first time this April/May and found this section a rewarding mind wash
Your description of the meseta as an environment that fosters contemplation truly resonates with me. I agree and appreciate you putting words to something I was struggling to define. Like you, I found the meseta to be a rewarding experience: The simplicity of the horizon line, the jet contrails pointing from central Europe to South America that appeared on schedule each morning, the plowed-barren fields, the sounds of only the wind, birds and insects; all of these combined to make for a refreshing 'mind wash' as you described it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will also begin the path in Burgos in a couple of weeks. First journey is quite long (almost 30 km to Hontanás, but worths to have a good training).

Enjoy, and buen Camino!

@Borja79 welcome to the forum! No need to go all the way to Hontanás if you don't want - I always stop at Hornillos, which is 21km. Or earlier! There is accommodation also in Tardajos and Rabé.

Excuse me for jumping into yer post but what type of weather should one expect Burgos-Leon in November ??

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Borja79 welcome to the forum! No need to go all the way to Hontanás if you don't want - I always stop at Hornillos, which is 21km. Or earlier! There is accommodation also in Tardajos and Rabé.
Thanks for the affirmation Kanga!
I don't feel it necessary to keep with a pre-planned schedule so I plan to walk as far as I feel works for me and stop. If I surpass a printed schedule, great - if I come short of a printed schedule, that's great too. Ill get there when I get there. :)
Im so excited to be heading over in November. Wish it was November today.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will also begin the path in Burgos in a couple of weeks. First journey is quite long (almost 30 km to Hontanás, but worths to have a good training).

Enjoy, and buen Camino!
Hi Borja79 - since we both are going in November-December, we may run into each other along the way. I'm using a guide book but walking my own Camino and may not walk according to the pre-printed schedule that most guidebooks have. Buen Camino to you.

Hola. I noticed you live in Rhode Island. I live in Somerset Ma. I have walked several caminor and have mentored people in ma and Rhode Island. I’m In Training myself to walk the Camino Madrid this March, helping three women to prepare to walk this coming Fall. You are welcome to join us if you’d like.
Cliff

Hola. I noticed you live in Rhode Island. I live in Somerset Ma. I have walked several caminor and have mentored people in ma and Rhode Island. I’m In Training myself to walk the Camino Madrid this March, helping three women to prepare to walk this coming Fall. You are welcome to join us if you’d like.
Cliff
Hi Cliff!
and thanks for your note - appreciate the invite.
How long is your walk from Madrid to Santiago de Compostela? :)
I walked in November and loved it. Unfortunately I had to depart earlier than expected but do want to go back and walk the rest of the way. I was by myself which I enjoyed very much but next time I would maybe try to join up with someone for part of the walk. I only have the November and December time frame walk.
Where do you walk when your training? Not quite so many places down here in Newport without walking on the street. Cliff walk is nice but its only 4 miles round trip.Id like to find places where I can walk a trail 6-10 miles.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good Morning
We walk colt state park, Weetamoe woods in tiverton. Simons pond in little Compton , for hills we walk north end of Fall River ( good work out), horseneck Beach in Westport great walk,
We usually average 6 , 7 miles maybe more depending on how we feel nice off road no cars etc . Good locations because distance can easily be increased
I’ll be walking from Madrid to Santiago ,thinking of heading to Zamora from Madrid finish Vja de la plata to Astorga then to Santiago.
I maybe walking for my local YMCA , figure I’m walking anyway make a little fund raiser for them.
You are welcome to join us probably half hour ride from Newport to most these places. We usually have a brunch together after in Bristol or tiverton
Some have walked planning to return some are going for first time. Three women training to walk the Portuguese in2018.
Anyway you are welcome to join us if you’d like

Cliff
Thanks for the interest and offer, Cliff. I am presently tied to my work for a year or so, but am hoping to walk again on the Camino Del Norte afterwards.
Buen Camino to you and the ladies

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back