• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

starting in Dallas, TX USA - stamp?

Tolbert

Hello: I received my passport from you for myself and my son. We leave on June 3rd for Barcelona.

I was wondering, should we get a stamp in the USA before we leave? If so, where? Our local church?

Thanks,

Tolbert

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Tolbert: So happy for you and your son to be leaving in just a couple of days. I will be following in your footsteps, literally, in September, now that my trip has been delayed until then. I had hoped to have started on the 23rd of May, but alas, had to move my start date due to work. I see you are an editor...I'm a freelance producer! So, you definitely would understand my delay!
I wish you and your son a Buen Camino. We must meet when you return so you can tell me of your adventures!!
Buen Camino,
Dee Anne
"Bozzie"

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So far as I know, the purpose of the stamps (other than souvenirs/personal remembrances) is to document your starting point and route to SdC on foot, bike, or horse. I've not heard of anyone getting a stamp (sello) from their home starting point prior to reaching one of the "recognized" Camino routes.
Having said that, I guess you can get a stamp anywhere as a personal remembrance, but it won't mean anything insofar as qualifying for the Compostela.

In Canada, many pilgrims with church affiliations will get their credentials first stamped by their parish as their pilgrimage begins with their departure. In the Hull-Gatineau area, across the river from Ottawa, francophone pilgrims have a practice of individually walking from their homes to the Cathedral in April, where they receive the pilgrims' blessing from the Archbishop, and their credentials get their first stamp there.

You don't need to get a stamp at home, but it might be nice to have it on your passport... as a memory.

What they are looking for at the pilgrims office are stamps from the last 100km of your camino, for them all stamps received before that are not important.

Buen Camino!
Ivar

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Prior to walking the VdlP last year, I got my first stamp from St. James Church in King Street Sydney. Their stamp is a scallop shell!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Most read last week in this forum

This may seem petty since the actual donation cost was minimal, but in February 2024, I sent some money to American Pilgrims (americanpilgrims.org) for two credentials in advance of an April 2024...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.