• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Girona on Monday

gyro

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminos: Frances, Ingles, Portugues, de Norte
Via(s): de la Plata, Mozarabe
Hello everyone,
My name is Gyro (or Alex), and I am starting from Girona on Monday morning: hoping to make it to Montserrat in a week. Anyone else going my way next week?
kind regards to all of you,
Gyro

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Oh, you've got some beautiful walking ahead of you. The day into L'Esquirol is one of those stunning scenery days. Lots of great romanesque on this route, though I know not everyone is a fan.

Gyro, I'd love to hear how it goes if you are inclined to post while walking! Or afterwards, I'll settle for anything -- not many forum members walk this route and that is a shame! Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
All the best Gyro!

I knew about some Catalan routes but not about this particular one.
You made me curious.
This link from Mundicamino is rather basic.
http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos/60/camino-gironi/
Is there better literature?

Sabine, I walked from Llanca to Montserrat alone and then met Lee in Montserrat to continue. I wouldn't call it literature, but I did have a blog. http://lauriescamino2015.blogspot.com/

It's a "fabricated" camino in the sense that the Generalitat has blended two caminos so that you get to walk through Girona and Vic. Both of them are lovely. I really enjoyed this walk a LOT.

Buen Camino Gyro!

Sabine, I walked from Llanca to Montserrat alone and then met Lee in Montserrat to continue. I wouldn't call it literature, but I did have a blog. http://lauriescamino2015.blogspot.com/

It's a "fabricated" camino in the sense that the Generalitat has blended two caminos so that you get to walk through Girona and Vic. Both of them are lovely. I really enjoyed this walk a LOT.

Thank you! Now I get it...Well I do not mind the Generalitat fabricated it , seems gorgeous. I only visited Vic, Gerona and that region by car.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for the kind wishes and the information.
The Generalitat produce a very detailed guide in Catalan or Spanish at
http://www.camidesantjaume.cat/

I will certainly let you know how things transpired when I finish. I tend not to post whilst walking: preferring the bubble of "an old guy plodding along a track with a distant destination in his thoughts"

Best wishes to each of you.
Gyro

It's a lovely walk. I walked last May, and the scenery, especially the flowers were superb. Only downside was the total lack of fellow pilgrims, but I was expecting that, so came prepared.

I avoided Manresa completely, by continuing south rather than turning off to the city. The path is delightful, going through pine forests and agricultural land, much better than pavement pounding.

No need to book hotels in advance, in May, I suspect. Most were almost empty last year.

Have a wonderful walk.

Five days, and I walked from Girona to Olot to Vic, 100 km in total .
Four of the days were magical. the long slow pull up the Ruta de Carrilet for the first 60 km was a welcome re-introduction to camino walking. the villages were delightful and the accommodation fine. Olot city centre is a bit rough-and-ready, but no more so than many towns in Extremedura.
Day 4, from Olot to L;Esquirol was the hardest day I have ever had on a camino. Climbing the sides of the canyon (there really is no other words) to the South of L Hospital de un Bas was tortuous. the signage was non-existent and the forest very overgrown and on a steep slope.
Day 5: L' Esquirol to Vic was a return to Camino normality. A pleasant 19 km downhill and over the plain to the city. Charming an delightful.

I would recommend the walk to anyone with the exception of the fourth day. Take a taxi to Falgars de en Bas and avoid a lot of pain.
Gyro

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Some photographs on the Camino St. Jaume, through Montserrat...58992589935899458995589965899758998

Last edited:
Five days, and I walked from Girona to Olot to Vic, 100 km in total .
Four of the days were magical. the long slow pull up the Ruta de Carrilet for the first 60 km was a welcome re-introduction to camino walking. the villages were delightful and the accommodation fine. Olot city centre is a bit rough-and-ready, but no more so than many towns in Extremedura.
Day 4, from Olot to L;Esquirol was the hardest day I have ever had on a camino. Climbing the sides of the canyon (there really is no other words) to the South of L Hospital de un Bas was tortuous. the signage was non-existent and the forest very overgrown and on a steep slope.
Day 5: L' Esquirol to Vic was a return to Camino normality. A pleasant 19 km downhill and over the plain to the city. Charming an delightful.

I would recommend the walk to anyone with the exception of the fourth day. Take a taxi to Falgars de en Bas and avoid a lot of pain.
Gyro

Well, hmm, My experience was different. I slept close to Sant Esteve d'en Bas, rather than Olot, so started out in the morning a little closer to the ascent. I thought the climb up to the plateau of L'Esquirol was very beautiful and not hard at all. I suspect I took a different path, as I never saw a super steep slope or canyon. I asked advice on which path to take, and was advised by a local to not take the first path up, as it was longer and harder. The second one did have waymarking, though I admit it wasn't perfect waymarking near the top of the ascent. It was called the Cami Ral (Real). I had a very welcome coffee and sandwich in Cantronigros and then walked on down to L'Esquirol. I wouldn't have missed this day, but suspect I lucked out with a better waymarked path for the ascent. I was using Laurie's Wikilocs map which told me what to expect, and then local advice confirmed the easier path up.

I learned later that Castronigros may have a refugio - and hope someone will inquire down the road - as it would give folks the option of a shorter stage.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back