• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Irún 4.august

ReidarJ

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte, august-september (2015)
Hi,

I will start my first Camino tomorrow. I hope to walk to Santiago de Compostela via Primitivo. I have byen inspired by others in this forum to write my own blog and I have posted some already at http://hikingnotes.blogspot.com/.

I hope others can find something useful by reading my posts, but I think it will be good to have when I want to look back at this later. It will also be a good place for family and friends to keep track, because I plan to post when I am on the way.

I do not speak Spanish, will this be problematic on the way? I have Google translate on my phone and I hope that will help.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome Reidar, learn a few phrases in Spanish like asking for coffe, beer, a bed etc and you will be fine.
Enjoy your Camino.
Buen Camino.

Yes that is very smart. Do anyone know of a list of the most useful phrases?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
These few should get you started ok.

A coffee please - Una Café por favour

A beer please - Una cerveza por favour

Red wine please - Vino tinto por favour

A bed please - Una cama favour

A single room please - Una habitación individual por favour

A double room please - Una habitación doble por favor

Great, muchas gracias :)

If I would like to ask the price, would that be Cuánto cuesta? And where do I leave the key? Is that ¿Dónde dejo la llave?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ahh, the Camino del Notrte without a passable fluency in Spanish. I remember it well.

First of all, you have chosen wisely. Buen Camino! I did the same last year and enjoyed it immensely. You will too. Much you will simply be able to figure out for yourself, the rest you can manage with hand gestures, or kindness of strangers and such.

For me, THE critical phrase that I didn’t know, but soon learned was: “¿Tiene usted una lavandería” or “¿Donde una lavandería”. In english: “Do you have a laundry?” and “Where is a laundry?”. Trust me on this.

The single most helpful phrase that I already knew was “La cuenta por favor” or “the check please”. The leisurely restaurant ways of all of northern Europe are not compatible with anyone on schedule and some days you WILL be on a schedule.

I personally loved going into my Camino pretty cold w/o a lot of preparation or expectation. To each his/her own I guess. So, I wouldn’t want to over-inform you or suggest much in the way of additional preparations. – just let it happen. That said, I have a thought or two that may enrich your travel – especially the early stages.

1.) I think it would be useful for you to (in your travels) learn as much about the local “white gold” vino. That being, Txakoli (sort of phonetically “Chocoli”). It’s fantastic and very much of the place. Excellent with the local seafood. Do yourself a favor and get smart about it early on.

2.) It will come at you a bit later in your travels, however you ought to learn to appreciate the “sideria” culture. This is of course the cider (Sider) and the serving of it in the cider bars “la siderias”. It’ good, unique, complex and local. Find someone who can help you appreciate it.

3.) The Santa Klara abluergue which is just past Zumia is not to be missed.

Lastly, for a non Spanish speaker, the trail is not as well marked as is usually suggested. Don’t sweat it though. Every mistake is correctable w/i about a half hour at most, usually about 5 minutes.

Ahh, the Camino del Notrte without a passable fluency in Spanish. I remember it well.

First of all, you have chosen wisely. Buen Camino! I did the same last year and enjoyed it immensely. You will too. Much you will simply be able to figure out for yourself, the rest you can manage with hand gestures, or kindness of strangers and such.

For me, THE critical phrase that I didn’t know, but soon learned was: “¿Tiene usted una lavandería” or “¿Donde una lavandería”. In english: “Do you have a laundry?” and “Where is a laundry?”. Trust me on this.

The single most helpful phrase that I already knew was “La cuenta por favor” or “the check please”. The leisurely restaurant ways of all of northern Europe are not compatible with anyone on schedule and some days you WILL be on a schedule.

I personally loved going into my Camino pretty cold w/o a lot of preparation or expectation. To each his/her own I guess. So, I wouldn’t want to over-inform you or suggest much in the way of additional preparations. – just let it happen. That said, I have a thought or two that may enrich your travel – especially the early stages.

1.) I think it would be useful for you to (in your travels) learn as much about the local “white gold” vino. That being, Txakoli (sort of phonetically “Chocoli”). It’s fantastic and very much of the place. Excellent with the local seafood. Do yourself a favor and get smart about it early on.

2.) It will come at you a bit later in your travels, however you ought to learn to appreciate the “sideria” culture. This is of course the cider (Sider) and the serving of it in the cider bars “la siderias”. It’ good, unique, complex and local. Find someone who can help you appreciate it.

3.) The Santa Klara abluergue which is just past Zumia is not to be missed.

Lastly, for a non Spanish speaker, the trail is not as well marked as is usually suggested. Don’t sweat it though. Every mistake is correctable w/i about a half hour at most, usually about 5 minutes.

Great to get some input from a fellow pilgrim. I walked from Irún to San Sebastian today and had no problem to find my way. I also have an offline GPS map app on my mobile to help me if i need it. It's called OsmAnd.

I will walk from San Sebastian tomorrow, perhaps I make it to Santa Klara, I will check it out either way.

I needed the check please phrase today actually, good to know.

Thank you for the wine and cider tips, will be useful.

I usually wash my clothes by hand when I travel like this, but I will note the phrase down and learn it.

Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.