• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in June

JenniferA105

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2023
Hello Everyone,
My husband and I are planning our Camino Frances. We will be starting at St Jean Pied de Port. Our start date is still in the works as we plan airfare and transport. We will be leaving the US after the 14th (our grand-daughter's birthday :) )! Looking forward to our first Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ultreia and buen Camino.
A few years ago I walked the Frances for most of June and into the beginning of July. I found it to have been the best weather of any Camino I walked. It never got too warm and the chilly nights and mornings for about half of it were perfect. I wore shorts everyday to walk and only wore long pants at night to go to dinner etc. I think I experienced rain on only two, maybe three days and that was all the way to Fisterre.

Ultreia and buen Camino.
A few years ago I walked the Frances for most of June and into the beginning of July. I found it to have been the best weather of any Camino I walked. It never got too warm and the chilly nights and mornings for about half of it were perfect. I wore shorts everyday to walk and only wore long pants at night to go to dinner etc. I think I experienced rain on only two, maybe three days and that was all the way to Fisterre.
That is wonderful news!!! How many days did you walk? I’m thinking that once we fly in, we will actually start walking on day 3 after landing. Does that sound reasonable? Was Fisterre worth the extended days of walking?

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m thinking that once we fly in, we will actually start walking on day 3 after landing. Does that sound reasonable?
Yes, I usually give myself a couple of days to overcome jet lag and do some sightseeing. It also gives me a cushion if time in case of flight delays.
Was Fisterre worth the extended days of walking?
I think that it is. In fact my goal on my first Camino was to walk from the French border to the Atlantic Ocean.

I’m thinking that once we fly in, we will actually start walking on day 3 after landing. Does that sound reasonable? Was Fisterre worth the extended days of walking?
One of the things that I’ve learned after several Caminos is not to take off immediately once I’ve reached my starting point. Flying from The States, it’s a long trip to any Camino beginning. On our last trip to SJPP, we took a rest day in Paris before getting the train south. We then arrived early afternoon much more rested than had we tried to make the trip to SJPP on the same day we landed at CDG and then start the trek over the Pyrenees the next morning (been there; done that). Last spring, we flew into Porto, but took an extra day there before beginning the Coastal Route. Therefore, your plan of beginning day 3 makes a lot of sense. So, if you’re flying into Paris or Madrid, don’t stress yourself to get to SJPP and immediately get started. The first day over the Pyrenees is tough. Be sure to take a bit of a rest before the start of your Camino.

Regarding Fisterra, it is well worth going to. Although I didn’t do it directly after my CF, we did tag it onto our Camino Inglés. If you have the time, it’s a very pleasant 4 day walk to Fisterra and if you have one additional day, add Muxía on too. Both are great places to end a Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That is wonderful news!!! How many days did you walk? I’m thinking that once we fly in, we will actually start walking on day 3 after landing. Does that sound reasonable? Was Fisterre worth the extended days of walking?

Buen Camino!
I think I walked a total of about forty days, including Fisterre. I spent a whole day in Saint Jean and also later took a couple days off on the Camino and a couple of half days.
Sure, Fisterre is worth walking to if you have time. It's a 3-4 day walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back