• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Le Puy April the first, I have a couple of questions though.

Fredron

Time of past OR future Camino
April - June 2016
Hi all,
So my plan is to start in Le Puy April the first and spend the next 60-90 days to make it to Santiago de compostela.
I'd like to walk without a tent and stove and simply stay at the Pilgrim Hostels.
I am from Sweden though so I'm not sure what weather/climate to expect in that area. Initially I just assumed it would be early spring so a rain jacket and a fleece hoodie would do it, but maybe I should bring my ultra light down jacket? It's super light and doesn't take any space at all.
Is this a bit too early to leave, will I have a hard time finding a place to stay? I was hoping that I could just show up in a village in the afternone and easily find somewhere to stay.
I've heard about the french "miam miam dodo" guidebook so I was thinking I'll simply buy that when I arrive.
But is there anything that I should know or that I may not realize? I'm reading about people doing it in June/July and I guess it might not be exactly the same?

Thanks all,
Fredrik

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So my plan is to start in Le Puy April the first and spend the next 60-90 days to make it to Santiago de compostela.
I'd like to walk without a tent and stove and simply stay at the Pilgrim Hostels.

Fredrik, hi

I arrive in Lyon on 2 April and will train across to Le Puy a few days later.

I have a tent, purchased with the Scottish and English trips in mind (no/few hostels on those routes) and thought it might be useful between Moissac and Saint Jean when hostels have greater (but manageable) distances between them.

On balance I have decided to send my tent to my London based family to collect before going to Scotland. So no tent from Le Puy to Santiago.

I do not have a stove. As most hostels (gite) are in small villages without food shops I intend to book the evening meal (?demi pension?)

Miam Miam Dodo is the guide to buy for accommodation. I have found it well laid out. Some complain about the maps: I find them OK but prefer the OSM maps on my tablet.

All the advice I have had from friends who have walked this chemin is best to book ahead so the host can have enough food for the expected guests. And they further say: use the owner of the hostel you are in to ring ahead as you point to your preferences in Miam Miam Dodo.

I most probably wont be seen walking with a glass (of cranberry juice, of course) to my lips. But my blonde locks (as were) and my very handsome full face set will be dead giveaways should we encounter one another.

Bon chemin. Kia Kaha (be strong)

Hi Fredrik
My husband and I will start april 2. We walk slow so we will certainly meet...
I've heard that we can find some snow on the Aubrac.
See you soon
Katia

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In brief......It's not too early. Bring the down jacket. Do demi pension. Reserve a day ahead if you like to know where you're headed or if accommodation options look slim, but reserving further ahead is generally unnecessary unless Most of all get MMDD!

But: you're setting out during Easter vacation. Perhaps you should read up on what that means and consider starting two weeks later.

You are more than likely to get snow , plan for the worse.
You must get MMDD , no debate .
Would book the first three days and then go with the flow.
Tent and stove is in my opinion is not on .

Thanks all,

I've ordered the MMDD which should be a great asset.
I'll remember to bring the down jacket and book a head for the first couple of days just to get an easy start and see what's working.
No tent and no stove, but a good sleeping mattress and a good quilt so I should be able to sleep outdoors as long as it's not to wet. (Plan B if something happens where I can find a place to stay)

Bill I realize I set out during Eastern but I'm not sure what that means nor where I can find good information about that.
If April the first is a bad date then I would rather start two weeks earlier than mid April. but that might not be an option if you mean places close down or something?

Alwyn and Katia, Maybe we will run in to eachother or at least we will have to deal with the same weather over there :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Fredrik the Easter Vacations are school vacations and in the regon we will walk it goes from april 9 toapril 25 . It´s not the same period for all regions in France.

Katia

The point about Easter vacations is *not* that businesses close. It's that the number of hikers increases.

See how it goes and adjust your reservation strategy as required.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ah okey, thanks for the clarification :)

Good luck and enjoy this wonderful walk.
If in doubt just stop , enjoy the country french their hospitality and their country.
Don't under any circumstances take them tooo seriously.....they have a sense of humour
Bon Courage Fredron,
David

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back