• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Le Puy late August

frankieladdieboy

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk summer(2013)
Hello - my wife and I walked the Camino Frances on 2013 and loved it. We have decided to try the GR65 starting around August 24th. We have acquired the "Miam Miam Dodo" but our French is much better speaking than reading. Having been very impressed with the cost of Albergues and Pilgrim's menus in Spain, it seems the French walk is likely to be quite a bit more expensive (especially if we don't intend to carry camping gear) - any advice?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It will be more expensive, but the food will be better! If you really need to try and save a bit of money you could perhaps skip the 5 euro breakfasts and buy something at the boulangerie. But honestly, forget about the costs and just enjoy the great scenery and the experience.

Cheers Gavin - guess we knew that - am I right in assuming that "Gites d'Etape" are the closest things to Alburgues in Spain and Demi Pension is the way to do it?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
... Having been very impressed with the cost of Albergues and Pilgrim's menus in Spain, it seems the French walk is likely to be quite a bit more expensive (especially if we don't intend to carry camping gear) - any advice?

Yes, book bed only and have supermarket bought wayside lunch during the day. Choose aubergues that have a kitchen to prepare your own meals. Bon Chemin, Sy

I would advice you to book demi-pension when you stop in small places. There might not be a shop or it might be closed in the weekend and on Mondays and there is probably no other places to eat than in the gite. My experience is that it could be difficult to get something to eat unless you are in a cafe/restaurant between 12 and 14.00 or at dinnertime in the evening. I have never carried so much "securityfood" as in my GR65 chemins.

We are starting from Le Puy in a few weeks time, so am interested to hear any other tips on this subject too! We always carry some spare food "just in case" and are aware that shop opening times are often limited (and possibly unreliable). The idea of "buy own breakfast, buy own lunch and book dinner" sounds like the best option.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The dinners in the gites are always plentiful and wonderful. Local freshly produced food and wine. I felt like I lived like a god there...often bought a coffee and croissant when available but in tiny places I opted for the gite bfast. This consists of toasted baguette and home made jams. I found the 3 course dinners so filling that I often did not have lunch other than fruit and olives and some almonds. Fruit is ripe in August and often just grows by the wayside, figs practically falling off. Same with plums.
We budgeted around 40 to 45 Euros per day all up, but stayed in private gites rather than gite Communal in most places. You can do it for less if you self cater when able and stay in gites communal at 10 to 15 Euros.

Thanks various folks - the other slight worry is the signposting - again very plentiful on Camino Frances and hard to get lost even in big cities - is it as good on the "Le Puy"?

signposting - again very plentiful on Camino Frances and hard to get lost even in big cities - is it as good on the "Le Puy"?
It is good, but it is different. Red and white balises are used for all the GR trails, so at intersections, you need more information. Sometimes it is there, sometimes it is not. Red "X" marks a direction that you do NOT want to take. It can be a long distance between balises when the route is obvious (or obvious to the French). I would say that you need to be more alert on the Chemin or you will miss turns. There will be fewer pilgrims, so you cannot count on just following the crowd. Bon chemin!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We're starting late August too. Have you already booked accommodation in Le Puy and, if so, where?

Staying overnight in Lyon and getting a morning train to Le Puy so hoping to arrive in time to pick up "passport" and start walking - first night about 8km out of Le Puy?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Staying overnight in Lyon and getting a morning train to Le Puy so hoping to arrive in time to pick up "passport" and start walking - first night about 8km out of Le Puy?

Gronze shows a place about 9 km out. http://www.gronze.com/etapa/le-puy-en-velay/saint-privat-dallier

Another option is to spend the afternoon in LePuy -- it is a lovely town with a lot to see. Go to mass early the next morning, get the pilgrims blessing, and walk out the door, down the steps and start to walk. It's a very nice way to start your Camino, IMO. Buen camino, Laurie

Hello - my wife and I walked the Camino Frances on 2013 and loved it. We have decided to try the GR65 starting around August 24th. We have acquired the "Miam Miam Dodo" but our French is much better speaking than reading. Having been very impressed with the cost of Albergues and Pilgrim's menus in Spain, it seems the French walk is likely to be quite a bit more expensive (especially if we don't intend to carry camping gear) - any advice?
Morning Guys,

I too am looking to return to the Good ole GR65 from the end of August. Actually I speak and read french like the French Policeman from 'allo 'allo - but that never stopped me jut going with the thing! I am looking to walk in a 'loose' group as I am aware we all have different walking rates ... maybe I'll be there on the 24th to help?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back