• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Leon

fynbos s.a

Time of past OR future Camino
2011 Leon to Santiago and 2013 St Jean to Santiago
Hi to all,will be starting my first Camino from Leon in May and would like to know where to stay on my first night in Leon?I am starting the walk alone and will be joining my sister in Ponferrade five days later and will continue to Santiago together.We are both South Africans allthough she is permanently staying in Barcelona.Thanxs to all that have contributed to this site,it has answered many of my qestions.
Greetings from a sunny Cape Town S.A
Maurice

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One option is to tour Leon, then take the city bus to La Virgen del Camino. There you can stay in one of the best albergues on the route, or take a room with a bath for about 25 Euros at the Hostal Central. The next day you can go to Villadango del Paramo (or the other route to Mazarife) or Hospital de Orbigo, depending on how far you want to walk.

An affordable hotel in Leon is the Hostal Guzmán El Bueno‎, C/ LÓPEZ CASTRILLÓN, 6 24003 Leon, 987 231 462. The albergue is large and without blankets or pillows, and has a reputation for bedbugs. However, it is inexpensive.

I second Falcon's suggestion about beginning in Virgen del Camino.

However, I've also stayed at the albergue in Leon (Convent) Santa Maria de Caarbajalas, and found it to be a very nice, comfortable and clean place.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've stayed at the convent as well as Hostal Albany, which is very close to the cathedral as well as San Isidro. While the rooms are small, it is more of a hotel than a hostal or albergue. Very clean, reasonable rates.

Purely opinion, but I found that only the moldy albergue in Melide (before it was renovated last year) to be worse than the one in Leon.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Purely opinion, but I found that only the moldy albergue in Melide (before it was renovated last year) to be worse than the one in Leon.

I didn't like the albergue in Leon either. I had the corner bed right at the back, furthest from any window, door or fan and didn't sleep because it was so stuffy. It seemed like there was no air at all in the room.

There are loads of hostales on the main street in Leon. I'd say stay in one of those for your first night, and just visit the albergue to obtain your credencial. There'll be plenty of nights later on to sample the joys of an airless dormitory - enjoy your last night of luxury.

Oh, and yes, before it was renovated, the albergue in Melide wasn't very nice at all.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi. I agree with Anniesantiago. My wife and I stayed at the Leon convent accommodation this March 2011 and found it friendly, clean, and they provide a basic coffee/toast/jam breakfast that is convenient and not commonly found in albergues. You get an invitation to attend the evening mass, if you are interested, that included a couple dozen nuns and two local gents, and it was an interesting experience, and also a 9:00 p.m. pilgrim blessing in the chapel (we were asleep by then). They want you at breakfast at 7:00 and out at 8:00 so volunteers can clean, so you get a good start on the day.

We didn't readily find our way to the convent, but a gentleman on the street watched as we pointed to the map, and with a smile he invited us to follow him all the way there!

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.