• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Lisbon

urbanhiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012)
Le Puy to Moissac (2013)
Camino Portugues (Sept 2014)
Camino del Norte/Irun to Luarca (April 2015)
Camino Inglés/Camino Finisterra/Muxia (Oct 2015)
Moissac to St. Jean (2016)
Hello,

I have written a couple time. This site is quite useful. I was wondering if anyone has walked from Lisbon to Vila Franca da Xira in one day, and how was it? That is my current plan for our first day starting in Sept, so wanted to hear from those who have walked it. Two year ago I did The Camino Frances and last year did three weeks of LePuy, from LePuy to Moissac, so I do understand the nature of walking long distances. Those who have walked this I would really like your input. Thanks.

Ray
Urbanhiker

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Ray. I recently walked from Lisbon, but split the stage to Vilafranca de Xira over two days. According to Brierly the distance from Lisbon to VdX is 40 km. you also need to factor in how long it will take you to reach the starting point at the cathedral. I also wanted to stop off at the tile museum which wouldn't have been an option if walking 40 km.

I think how you cope with this very long stage will depend a lot on the weather. It was very hot when I walked and there is very little shade on the way and because of this, few opportunities to take a break.

At this point in my camino I had forgotten to turn on the gps system that I used for most of the walk. When using the gps it became apparent that Brierly consistently under-declared the distances by at least 10%. So if you walk to VdX in one go, it might actually be nearer 45 km than 40!

You can check out my blog if interested, Lisbon to Parque de Nações, and PdN to Vilafranca de Xira.
Bom caminho!

Hi, Ray,
Like Magwood, I didn't walk that in one chunk. There are several ways to break it up (the CSJ guide suggests a few http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...al-word-version-2-april-pdf.9816/?version=157)

If you have time constraints, the easiest way to get to Vila Franca without walking the whole way in on fell swoop would be to walk the first 8 km from the cathedral out to the Parque das Nacoes in the afternoon of your arrival in Lisbon and then either sleep (at the youth hostal or a hotel) in Parque Nacoes or take the metro back to your Lisbon hotel and return in the morning. There is also a commuter rail line with stops along many towns -- a list of them is in this document, which I put together for people who were looking for shorter distances in the early part of Lisbon to Santiago.
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/short-stages-from-lisbon-to-porto.133/reviews

But if you normally walk distances in the 40 km range, this stage doesn't offer any particular challenge, except for the large amount of asphalt walking. It's totally flat and well marked. Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello,

I have written a couple time. This site is quite useful. I was wondering if anyone has walked from Lisbon to Vila Franca da Xira in one day, and how was it? That is my current plan for our first day starting in Sept, so wanted to hear from those who have walked it. Two year ago I did The Camino Frances and last year did three weeks of LePuy, from LePuy to Moissac, so I do understand the nature of walking long distances. Those who have walked this I would really like your input. Thanks.

Ray
Urbanhiker
Hello,

Ray
Urbanhiker
Hi Ray

We left Lisbon last Tuesday June 10 2014 and completed the walk to Villa Franca a tough day we walked for 4 and half hours before finding somewhere open for breakfast after 5 tough days and a top temp of 40 degrees my wife and I ( both suffering with sun stroke) jumped on a train from Tomar and headed to Porto.

We encountered extreme heat but after completing the Frances Camino in 25 days last year and preparing properly we thought we could handle anything Comparing the French and Portuguese Caminos -----the Portuguese is much tougher with very few options for sleeping and eating take care the guide book was less than perfect Brierly 2013 edition which may have route changes etc sorted for 2014?

We walked for 2 full long days and didn't see another hiker.The towns and the people the food and the prices ( cheaper)are all good and without the heat it's very achievable with the heat thrown in its tough.

Walked out of Porto today and completed 37 km ( no problem)around the coast which had heaps of eating and accom options it seems more like the French Camino in respect to options for refuelling.
Any how if you want to get to Villa Franca in one day maybe skip the first couple of hours coming out of Lisbon get transport to the Expo site and the rest is Ok don't forget extra food and WATER.

Have fun
Greg and Kelly Fettell

Hi Ray

We left Lisbon last Tuesday June 10 2014 and completed the walk to Villa Franca a tough day we walked for 4 and half hours before finding somewhere open for breakfast after 5 tough days and a top temp of 40 degrees my wife and I ( both suffering with sun stroke) jumped on a train from Tomar and headed to Porto.

We encountered extreme heat but after completing the Frances Camino in 25 days last year and preparing properly we thought we could handle anything Comparing the French and Portuguese Caminos -----the Portuguese is much tougher with very few options for sleeping and eating take care the guide book was less than perfect Brierly 2013 edition which may have route changes etc sorted for 2014?

We walked for 2 full long days and didn't see another hiker.The towns and the people the food and the prices ( cheaper)are all good and without the heat it's very achievable with the heat thrown in its tough.

Walked out of Porto today and completed 37 km ( no problem)around the coast which had heaps of eating and accom options it seems more like the French Camino in respect to options for refuelling.
Any how if you want to get to Villa Franca in one day maybe skip the first couple of hours coming out of Lisbon get transport to the Expo site and the rest is Ok don't forget extra food and WATER.

Have fun
Greg and Kelly Fettell

Thanks Greg and Kelly. We will consider the alternative starting from the Expo. Glad to know the walk is doable. Sounds like you two are in good walking shape.

Thanks,
Ray

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back