A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Starting in May 2018

jmwlester

Camino(s) past & future
2013 Camino Frances
2014 Jesus Trail
2016 Via Francigena (Italy)
2017 Camino Portugese
Will start Via de la Plata on May 31 in Merida. Anyone beginning at that time?

sharon w

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
It will be very hot.

Momonne

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte, Primtivo, Portuguese, VDLP
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, that is the only time I can go.
Buen Camino!
May I recommend a silver lined Euroschrimm umbrella then. Early April 2017 was already boarderline when it came to the sun after 12h30 pm.

jmwlester

Camino(s) past & future
2013 Camino Frances
2014 Jesus Trail
2017 Camino Portugese
May I recommend a silver lined Euroschrimm umbrella then. Early April 2017 was already boarderline when it came to the sun after 12h30 pm.
Thanks. I will check into the umbrella.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
Will start Via de la Plata on May 31 in Merida. Anyone beginning at that time?
I have read numerous times on this forum that the Via de Plata is often dangerously hot in summer and folks are discouraged from going during those months. I don't think a Euroschirm umbrella will be enough!

Maybe you could consider walking a different Camino that would be more suitable to having better temperatures and a more enjoyable experience if that is your only available time frame.

jmwlester

Camino(s) past & future
2013 Camino Frances
2014 Jesus Trail
2017 Camino Portugese
I have read numerous times on this forum that the Via de Plata is often dangerously hot in summer and folks are discouraged from going during those months. I don't think a Euroschirm umbrella will be enough!

Maybe you could consider walking a different Camino that would be more suitable to having better temperatures and a more enjoyable experience if that is your only available time frame.
Thanks for the advice. I will consider a more northern route, but still keep the VDP as a possibility.

Portach

Camino(s) past & future
Thanks for the advice. I will consider a more northern route, but still keep the VDP as a possibility.
Starting early in the day helps. After 10 a.m. the heat becomes a factor, after midday a real issue. Our earliest start last October was 6 a.m. Some started as early as 4.30 to avoid the heat. This involves walking in the dark so a good head light is important. You will need to carry plenty of water too. It is a great Camino though......

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement
Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 107 14.6%
  • May

Votes: 179 24.5%