• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Pamplona

wanderwoman

Querido Peregrines,

I'm thinking of starting in Pamplona now instead of Roncesvalles. I might be a bit too rushed starting in Roncesvalles but equally, don't want to miss out on a nice part. Has anyone started in Pamplona? This is my first camino!!

xAmanda

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have started in Pamplona a number of times, and recommend it highly. There is so much scenery in the world that it is nearly impossible to see it all. What you miss between Roncesvalles and Pamplona is not dramatic in my opinion. Buen camino.

Pamplona is a great place to start. If you fall in love with the Camino, as many if us have done, you can always come back and start further back in France - even as far back as Le Puy.

The walk out of Pamplona has its own challenges - it is a strenuous walk up the Sierra del Perdon, and down the other side.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The journey, the adventure, your pilgrimage, begins before you step onto Spanish soil, if you are like most. Taking those first steps West is just the start of another phase.
I think starting in Pamplona is an excellent idea.

Pamplona is also a lovely city, don't let your enthusiasm cause you to straight off run down the Camino without giving Pamplona a good look. Try to set your own pace, the climb up to Alto del Perdon is a surprise the first day off, the statues on the top are marvelous (though I admit a subject of controversy for some) the slip-slide down is not catastrophic but will be difficult if you are tired. If you are tired don't mush on to Puente la Reina just because the guidebooks say to, there is a lovely private albergue in Utegra allowing a nice rest, they will fix dinner, and next morning you can see the Eunate church refreshed and in the morning light. Obanos also has a nice albergue allowing you a good morning look around Puente which has several churches as well as the bridge all very lovely.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Querido Peregrines,

I'm thinking of starting in Pamplona now instead of Roncesvalles. I might be a bit too rushed starting in Roncesvalles but equally, don't want to miss out on a nice part. Has anyone started in Pamplona? This is my first camino!!

xAmanda
We started in Roncesvalles last Aug 24th and found the walk to Pamplona (over 3 days) was taxing. We were 65 and 74 then, so decided to start slowly. This year we will start from Pamplona and plan on stopping at Zariquiegui as we did last year. This means we'll be walking up to Alto del Perdon at sunrise again. You'll find that for the first few days on the camino, you'll have a lot to get used to in terms of getting your washing done in time for it to dry, working out the best way to arrange your pack and just generally getting used to the routine. If you have time, best to take it easy the first few days.

I'm thinking of starting in Pamplona now instead of Roncesvalles.
Hi Amanda, when will you be on the CF? I'm not starting in SJPdP either. I was going to start in Zubiri but now I'll be starting from the Corazón Puro Pensión instead. I figured I'd need transport up out of Pamplona into the Pyrenees anyway and they have a menu of services. Istavan put one together for me that is transport from Pamplona to their pension, dinner, overnight in a real bed (not a bunk) and breakfast. Husband thinks I'm nuts and should start in SJPdP like he did but I am still nursing a healing meniscus tear. I know the trail down stinks so I'll take it slow!!! Night two will be Zubiri or around there,night three Pamplona and maybe stay part of the next day to play tourist and then only go as far as Cizur Menor in the afternoon. And then on to Burgos.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I loved starting in Pamplona May of 2012! Visited again last October 2013. It is great to start there slowly and take your time to get to Santiago. You can always walk over the Pyrennes another time on another Camino. There are no rules on where to start!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Amanda, when will you be on the CF? I'm not starting in SJPdP either. I was going to start in Zubiri but now I'll be starting from the Corazón Puro Pensión instead. I figured I'd need transport up out of Pamplona into the Pyrenees anyway and they have a menu of services. Istavan put one together for me that is transport from Pamplona to their pension, dinner, overnight in a real bed (not a bunk) and breakfast. Husband thinks I'm nuts and should start in SJPdP like he did but I am still nursing a healing meniscus tear. I know the trail down stinks so I'll take it slow!!! Night two will be Zubiri or around there,night three Pamplona and maybe stay part of the next day to play tourist and then only go as far as Cizur Menor in the afternoon. And then on to Burgos.
We walked from Roncesvalles to Corazon Puro last year, then on to Zubiri next day; we found that quite tough, because of the stony downhill to Zubiri after all the ups and downs all day. I'd then highly recommend staying at the Albergue Parroquial de Zabaldika. Peaceful donativo albergue with communal cena and breakfast. It's then an easy walk to the lovely German Paderborn albergue on the outskirts of Pamplona.

We too are starting from Pamplona - arriving on 23rd September, having a day to walk around seeing the sights and then starting our walk to Santiago on 25th September. This will be our first Camino.

We will be staying at the Hostal Navarra. We are unsure where to go If they do not have a stamp. Any suggestions?

Buen Camino :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back