• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

starting in pamplona

Jesseg122

Time of past OR future Camino
November 2015
I'm hopefully planning on walking the camino in late 2015. I wanted to start in France but due to paid time off restraint, so I'm wanting to start in pamplona. I'll be flying in from Seattle to Barcelona and taking a train to pamplona. What my question is: where do I start in pamplona? I don't want to show up in pamplona and get lost trying to find the trail lol

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm hopefully planning on walking the camino in late 2015. I wanted to start in France but due to paid time off restraint, so I'm wanting to start in pamplona. I'll be flying in from Seattle to Barcelona and taking a train to pamplona. What my question is: where do I start in pamplona? I don't want to show up in pamplona and get lost trying to find the trail lol
Or at least how's a good way to find an alberuge in pamplona

Hi! Pamplona is a great place to start. It's not a huge city so when you arrive in the centre you won't be far from the trail. Guide books such as Brierley's have town maps showing the route and location of albergues. Even if you don't plan to stay in an albergue it would be a good place to start. Joining or following other pilgrims will help you to negotiate the route out of town, which is always trickier than in the countryside. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome to the Forum @Jesseg122 !

Pamplona is s great starting point.
The Camino is well marked through Pamplona and good starting point could be the Cathedral in Pamplona. Albergue Yesus& Maria is in the close neighbourhood of the Cathedral and you could spend your first night there.
You can get your first cello in both places.
A credential can be purchased in the cathedral (and maybe in the albergue also).
You can attend a pilgrims´mass in the cathedral.

Buen camino

On the Camino and open all year. You can get a credencial, too. The cathedral is a block away. You probably will want to take a taxi from the train station to the albergue. It is a long walk uphill!

Albergue turístico y de peregrinos "Jesus y Maria"
Calle Compañía, 4
31001 Pamplona
Navarra, Spain

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Jesseg having done the Camino in 2010, and hope to go back for a second trip this July,I dont belive you will get lost in Pamplona
you should see plenty of other Pilgrims walking about, just ask or follow,you will soon find your feet and be on your way,,good luck John

Hi Jesse.
Have you already bought your ticket? Because unless you just WANT to go to Barcelona, getting to Pamplona may be easier and less expensive if you fly into Madrid. There is a bus directly from the airport to Pamplona.

Pamplona is a wonderful place to start and there are many many places to sleep there. I suggest you arrive a day or two ahead of time to adjust to the time and to see the wonderful city! You can stay at Jose y Maria one night. But there are many other options such as Paderborn, but you cannot make reservations at either.

There are also many many hotels, hostels, and pensiones you can find on www.booking.com or other such websites. I'd book now, however, as they fill up quickly .On booking.com you can find one that allows you to cancel within 3 days with no fees. I use it all the time.

I've stayed at Hostal Arriazu many times. It is right in the Old Town and very convenient to all the sites. I've stayed other places in Pamplona if you want to book a less expensive place.

If you stay in a hotel a night or two, you can stay in the albergue the night before you walk (if you want to). You can get your Credential there at Jose y Maria, even if you don't sleep there.

Anniesantiago, can you tell me where exactly to catch the bus to Pamplona from the airport? I arrived at 6am in the morning, so all the information booths were closed, and I wandered around for ages trying to find either the bus, or someone who could tell me where to catch it. I found my way to Terminal Four, and in the end asked a couple of bus drivers, who spoke very little English (and I spoke an equivalent amount of Spanish). They kept saying something that sounded like "Ameriga" and waved me on to their bus, which then headed into Madrid (to my horror, as I was carrying a lot of cash, and was worried about pickpockets). All was well, however, as I was dropped off at the bus terminal in Avenue de America, where I managed to buy a ticket to Pamplona.

I'm still dead curious to know where I could have caught the one from at the airport though.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Madrid_Barajas_%28MAD%29_6.png

The yellow circle 4 at terminal T-4. Walk outside toward parking, and there is a line of bus stops. No one ever seems to know what bus stops where, even though they have been doing it several times per day for decades. Buses are fairly well labeled, so check each arrival for information on its destination. Bus drivers do not speak English, but there usually are helpful if you are good at nods, head shakes, gestures, and other sign language.

Madrid_Barajas_%28MAD%29_6.png

The yellow circle 4 at terminal T-4. Walk outside toward parking, and there is a line of bus stops. No one ever seems to know what bus stops where, even though they have been doing it several times per day for decades. Buses are fairly well labeled, so check each arrival for information on its destination. Bus drivers do not speak English, but there usually are helpful if you are good at nods, head shakes, gestures, and other sign language.

Doing the Camino Portuguese, is there a bus to Lisbon from this bus station? or Is it cheaper to fly into Lisbon

Anniesantiago, can you tell me where exactly to catch the bus to Pamplona from the airport? I arrived at 6am in the morning, so all the information booths were closed, and I wandered around for ages trying to find either the bus, or someone who could tell me where to catch it. I found my way to Terminal Four, and in the end asked a couple of bus drivers, who spoke very little English (and I spoke an equivalent amount of Spanish). They kept saying something that sounded like "Ameriga" and waved me on to their bus, which then headed into Madrid (to my horror, as I was carrying a lot of cash, and was worried about pickpockets). All was well, however, as I was dropped off at the bus terminal in Avenue de America, where I managed to buy a ticket to Pamplona.

I'm still dead curious to know where I could have caught the one from at the airport though.
The booth is on floor 0 (zéro) of the T4. If outside with your back to the building it is at the very end of it, to the right. Alsace buses leave from one of the first few d'arsenal, or gates.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Doing the Camino Portuguese, is there a bus to Lisbon from this bus station? or Is it cheaper to fly into Lisbon
I do not see any buses from the airport to Lisbon. From Madrid to Lisbon is about 50E. You can compare flights to that.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back