• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Pamplona

Zahra

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2022 CF
Hi all. I am flying into Pamplona and will start my walk from Pamplona instead of going to SJPDP to start….the additional three days will allow me to slow down and enjoy the views. I plan to stay the night in Pamplona….any suggestions? also, when I arrive at Pamplona airport, I would like to take a taxi to where I will secure my credentials or Camino passport. Where would that be? Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Albergue 'Jesus y Maria', which is the municipal albergue, should have credentials. The municipals in bigger cities often have them.

They might also have a bed for you :) But of course there are many more options depending on what you're looking for (albergue? Hotel?).

The website of the city of Pamplona lists several other places where you can get a credential: https://www.pamplona.es/turismo/pamplona-es-camino/la-credencial

Buen Camino, and enjoy the wonderful city of Pamplona!

Albergue 'Jesus y Maria', which is the municipal albergue, should have credentials. The municipals in bigger cities often have them.

They might also have a bed for you :) But of course there are many more options depending on what you're looking for (albergue? Hotel?).

The website of the city of Pamplona lists several other places where you can get a credential: https://www.pamplona.es/turismo/pamplona-es-camino/la-credencial

Buen Camino, and enjoy the wonderful city of Pamplona!
Thank you! This is very helpful! I can taxi straight over to Jesus y Maria municipal albergue, get my credentials, get a good night rest, and start from their in the morning. Thank you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi all. I am flying into Pamplona and will start my walk from Pamplona instead of going to SJPDP to start….the additional three days will allow me to slow down and enjoy the views. I plan to stay the night in Pamplona….any suggestions? also, when I arrive at Pamplona airport, I would like to take a taxi to where I will secure my credentials or Camino passport. Where would that be? Thank you!
The last time I arrived at the Pamplona Airport Sept 2019), you could call for a taxi to downtown Pamplona for the incredible price of .70 (yes, 70 cents of a Euro!) that is because they have discontinued the bus from the airport. The city picked up the tab. There was a poster indicating that at the exit door from the airport which is tiny. I like Albergue Plaza Catedral but there are many. btw the absolute most spectacular view at the east end of the Camino Francés is from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Roncesvalles and the next day... Buen Camino

Thank you! This is very helpful! I can taxi straight over to Jesus y Maria municipal albergue, get my credentials, get a good night rest, and start from their in the morning. Thank you!
Question: What time will you be arriving in Pamplona? And when (what month)? If you are arriving in a less travelled month - you will have no problem securing a bed at Jesus y Maria, but if you are arriving in a busy month - the time of day you arrive may affect whether or not you get a bed. It is a LARGE albergue - so they do have LOTS of beds, but if you arrive late in the day and the beds are already taken you might need to go somewhere else. So - go there first and get your credential and check the bed situation. If they have one - you are good to go. If not - use your guide book/app and check for other nearby albergues. If all are full (usually not a problem) - worst case scenario you go online and book a room at another albergue/hostel/hotel. Again - most of the time you should be fine. But if you are going during busy season then have a backup plan!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Question: What time will you be arriving in Pamplona? And when (what month)? If you are arriving in a less travelled month - you will have no problem securing a bed at Jesus y Maria, but if you are arriving in a busy month - the time of day you arrive may affect whether or not you get a bed. It is a LARGE albergue - so they do have LOTS of beds, but if you arrive late in the day and the beds are already taken you might need to go somewhere else. So - go there first and get your credential and check the bed situation. If they have one - you are good to go. If not - use your guide book/app and check for other nearby albergues. If all are full (usually not a problem) - worst case scenario you go online and book a room at another albergue/hostel/hotel. Again - most of the time you should be fine. But if you are going during busy season then have a backup plan!
Thanks! Arriving early morning April 6. Shouldn’t be a problem but I am researching back ups. Main thing to do is secure my credentials and then get a good night rest!

The last time I arrived at the Pamplona Airport Sept 2019), you could call for a taxi to downtown Pamplona for the incredible price of .70 (yes, 70 cents of a Euro!) that is because they have discontinued the bus from the airport. The city picked up the tab. There was a poster indicating that at the exit door from the airport which is tiny. I like Albergue Plaza Catedral but there are many. btw the absolute most spectacular view at the east end of the Camino Francés is from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Roncesvalles and the next day... Buen Camino
Between oct-may you can reserve a bed in Jesus y Maria. I just did 5 mins ago. Tell them what time you expect to arrive there. If you want a low bed (1st floor; no climbing stairs/top bunks; they are 3 storiers high!!!) ask for «una cama abaco». (Intentionally misspelled so you say it right).

Last edited:
Thanks! Arriving early morning April 6. Shouldn’t be a problem but I am researching back ups. Main thing to do is secure my credentials and then get a good night rest!
Ah... with early morning arrival you should have absolutely no problems!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have stayed at the Albergue Plaza Catedral. Modern and located right next to a cathedral. What a great city Pamplona is! Here’s an article that you might find tasty! Café Iruña and Café Bar Gaucho are a couple of my favorite places in tiwn.

For your walk out of town consider walking the camino backwards for a bit until you cross the river. I really liked the walk from the old bridge to the city's wall and the French Gate into the old town. It's a fairly short walk that let's you see a portion of what the peregrinos from further east see. Why miss it?

Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back