• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Ponferrada

myran

Hi! Thanks for the answers to my first questions on this forum. It´s really a great help getting advice from others who is planning or already had done a camino.

I´m gonna start my camino in Ponferrada/Villafranca . I have 10 days to spend so I figure one day to get to the starting point (by bus), 8 days on the camino, one day in Santiago before leaving with a early morning flight the next day. Still a lots of questions... were do I spend my first night and where do I get the credential/pilgrim passport? I found some information on the net that it is possible to get it in Ponferrada (or villafranca) but now I´m not able to find the site again. In John Brielys guide, I couldn´t find any info about how to get it along the camino. Do you need to order it in advance?

Which is the best way to get to Ponferrada/Villafranca from Santiago? I found a bus that leaves a couple of times a day but it leaves from the city. Does anyone know if there is a bus directly from the airport?

Do you have nice places along this part of the camino to recomend? Optional roads, detours, nice places to stop overnight, nice views, albergues to recommend... or albergues to avoid?

I really looking forward for this camino.
//Catarina

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
By airport I assume you mean the one in Santiago. There are regular buses between the airport and the bus station. The buses also run in the direction of Lugo. So maybe you could also get a bus from there to Ponferrada.

http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?c...MO=1&SiteName=SCQ&p=1048690016795&c=Page&MO=1

A taxi between the airport and the bus station costs about €18/19

This is an edit. Allow plenty of time to purchase your ticket. As buses arrive and depart from the station at the lower level. You have to go up to two flights of stairs to the offices to purchase your ticket for the next journey. No ticket no bus. There is an office for each bus company so you have to find the right booth/office. Taxis arrive at the bus station at the same level as the ticket offices.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You can get a credential at the albergue in Ponferrada. You could also sleep there if there available beds. One of my favorite albergues of the entire Camino was the one in Ruitelan between Villafranca del Bierzo and O'Cebreiro. I did not like the one in Melide. I would recommend staying at some of the smaller towns (the albergues and towns that are NOT the main starting and stopping points of the daily stages of walking listed in most guidebooks) We stayed at the private albergue in Santa IRene on our last night before Santiago. It was more expensive than the others but wasn't a madhouse like in Melide. We left from there early in the morning and made it to Santiago in time for the Pilgrim's mass.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back