• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Porto 2 May

Sidekick

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis SJdPP to Astorga (Apr 2018)
Astorga to Santiago (Sept 2018);Camino Ingles (2018)
Hi Y' All, I'm walking from Porto to Santiago starting 2 May 2019 (can't believe we are already in 2019). Any forum members walking then? I'm solo, female, older then dirt. But love walking. My third camino. Hope to hear back.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My son and I start walking out of Porto on May 2nd as well, so maybe we'll see you. We will be starting out on the coast and ending our first day early in Matosinhos. Will you be wearing your Tilly style hat again? This is my 5th camino...BTW, I am just slightly younger than dirt. 😉

My son and I start walking out of Porto on May 2nd as well, so maybe we'll see you. We will be starting out on the coast and ending our first day early in Matosinhos. Will you be wearing your Tilly style hat again? This is my 5th camino...BTW, I am just slightly younger than dirt. 😉
Yes to hat. I’m going up the central route. I’ll have my camino forum badge on backpack. Maybe I’ll see you around Porto

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes to hat. I’m going up the central route. I’ll have my camino forum badge on backpack. Maybe I’ll see you around Porto
We turn on to the central route and merge in Barcelos. Maybe I'll see you along the way after that, but will watch for you in Porto.

Hi Y' All, I'm walking from Porto to Santiago starting 2 May 2019 (can't believe we are already in 2019). Any forum members walking then? I'm solo, female, older then dirt. But love walking. My third camino. Hope to hear back.
Enjoy. I am older than dirt 2 and I've done 2 Caminos. I would like to try the Jesus Trail. Anybody know much about that?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi All,
We are walking the CP from Porto April 8th.
We were thinking to do the first day on the costal and then go inland to the central. I herd
The first day out of Porto on the central is all city and Mfg.?

I understand that’s true. Some recommendations are to metro out of s large hunk. I’m stronger thinking of going up the coast to villa do Conde then inland.

I heard that repeatedly, too. That's why we plan to take the coastal route up to Villa de Condo, then turn inland.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi All,
We are walking the CP from Porto April 8th.
We were thinking to do the first day on the costal and then go inland to the central. I herd
The first day out of Porto on the central is all city and Mfg.?
Walking from Porto in September, also believe the first day out of the city is through industrial areas and along busy highway.

We have been advised to take metro or bus to Matosinhos from Porto to avoid this uninspiring small section.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Had my vote too.

I heard that repeatedly, too. That's why we plan to take the coastal route up to Villa de Condo, then turn inland.
The names of the Portuguese routes north from Porto can be confusing. For those following the routes in guidebooks, I think technically you'll be taking the Senda Litoral to Vila do Conde rather than the Coastal route. The Senda Litoral follows the river west to the ocean and the shoreline north, while the Coastal Route heads straight north out of the city before gradually wending westward and doesn't actually reach the coast until Vila do Conde.

We enjoyed the walk through Porto as it goes from the cathedral down to the river and then you walk along the coast into Matosinhos. It is a good way to start if you have just flown into Porto. It is a city, not industrial.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We enjoyed the walk through Porto as it goes from the cathedral down to the river and then you walk along the coast into Matosinhos. It is a good way to start if you have just flown into Porto. It is a city, not industrial.
Good to know, thank you Jodean. We are flying in from Melbourne Australia so could be a tad jetlagged, therefore need to have all our little ducks in a row before departure.

Thank you all for the advice. I hope I can call on you again as I get closer.
Blessings

As an alternative going out of Porto you could take the metro out of Porto to Fórum Maia or Vilar do Pinheiro ( this is the metro to the airport and Póvoa de Varzím ) and start walking from there to Vairão (very nice albergue in an old monastry) and or Vilarinho and you'll walk trough a nice rural area to São Pedro de Rates where is a nice albergue too,You then are on the Central Portuguese caminho. So you avoid the hectic walk on hardshoulders of motorways , industrial etstates etc just outside Porto.

The walk out of Porto along the Douro river to Matosinhos is a very nice walk and worthwhile to do.
Matosinhos is famous for its fishrestaurants .you'll pass them om the waymarked path .
To Matosinhos from the Porto Sé cathedral is about 10 kms.
Lots of pilgrims walk on to Angeiras (between Matosinhos and Vila do Conde) where you can sleep in a holiday house at the Orbitur camping. Restaurant is present on the campsite and closeby are so called padeiras bakeryshops where you can have a breakfast for two or three euros. Very nice !) Show your credential at the receptiondesk and you'll get a reduced price to stay he night . Highly recommended.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks everyone for excellent suggestions.

I leave Porto on the 1st May. So far the plan is first night in Vila do Conde, then cut over to Barcelos and up the central route. Might see some of you en route - although it seems like I may be a day ahead most of the way.

Yes you will be a day ahead. I’m strongly thinking of going same route.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I leave Porto on the 1st May. So far the plan is first night in Vila do Conde, then cut over to Barcelos and up the central route. Might see some of you en route - although it seems like I may be a day ahead most of the way.
Don't forget to stay at Casa da Fernanda between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. 18kms after Barcelos on the caminho path. An alltime experience on your caminho.

Passa bem e bom caminho

Attachments

• IMG_4320.JPG
    IMG_4320.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 10
Thanks. I did read about her wonderful home. Thanks for letting me know exactly where it is. Should I call ahead? I read that this is advisable.

You all are awesome!
So much experience I can’t wait to get started.
How much Portugués is good enough to be able to win their hearts and let them know I care?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When we left Porto (in June) we stayed on the coastal route the whole way and then diverted to the Spiritual variant when leaving Pontevedra-see our stops below. The route we took was never crowded and we never had problems finding roooms in the albergue- sometimes the problem was finding the albergue itself!

Day 1. Porto-to Matosinhos on metro, walk on the boardwalk to Vila do conde - new albergue, great people.
Day 02: Esposende, municipal albergue, quiet!
Day 03: Viana do Castelo, in a church monastery, just over the big bridge, on your right, lots of space.
Day 04: Caminha- hard to find the municipal albergue- have to ask.
Day 5. Mougros (5 Km before Baiona). Great private albergue we were told was fantastic and it was!
Day 06: Vigo to Cangas- Because we know the area around Cangas we took the ferry from Vigo and stayed in a known family run hotel where I had to do a day of work!
Day 7: Cangas-Bueu-Pontevedra Municipal albergue- back on the “regular route”. Noisy!
Day 08: Pontevedra to Armenteira. Start out on the regular trail from Pontevedra, through the town. About 3 Km along this trail there is a signpost: straight ahead for Padron, or turn left for the spiritual variant. Over hills, great views, down the other side, come to the monastery at Armenteira and the albergue 400 m away.
Day 09: Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa. ~25 Km. trail of the water and rocks. Beautiful, easy walk.
Day 10: Vilanova de Arousa to Padron by boat. Arrange this at the albergue to make sure you get a seat. Never mind what the weather is like- wrap your bag in its raingear and put on raingear- you will get wet! We then walked to Teo to make a shorter next day.
Day 11: On to Santiago, pick your albergue!

Thanks. I did read about her wonderful home. Thanks for letting me know exactly where it is. Should I call ahead? I read that this is advisable.
You can do that. Give Fernanda a call . If you have no succes, send me a personal message by conversion.

I'm thinking of walking from Porto with my 17 yo son -- starting out on April 11th, arriving at Santiago for Easter. How crowded will it be? We average about 25km/day. -- If it's going to be packed, maybe I shift back to LePuy, Conques, or from Leon-- but we'd really have to hoof it time wise from Leon. My son wants to be in Santiago for Easter vigil mass. Are we crazy to attempt to walk during this time?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm so happy to have found this thread because it seems I'll be just a day behind many of you! I'm planning to leave from Porto on May 3, take the metro to Matosinhos, then walk along the coast to Vila do Conde. I'm trying to decide whether to cross over to the central route from there or continue on the coast one more day to Esposende and take the bus from Esposende to Barcelos. I'm a little concerned about the safety of crossing by foot from Vila do Conde to Rates because I've read some threads about the traffic/reckless drivers. (Anyone have a strong opinion on that?) Regardless, I hope to stay with Fernanda after leaving Barcelos and will be contacting her soon. This will be my first camino and I'm walking alone, so I hope to cross paths with some of you!

I may see you. I’m leaving 2 May from Porto but have decide to do the central all the way. I have two short days and will be in Barcelos on the 4th. I have a forum patch on my pack plus my trusty Texas longhorn attached. No guys not a real one!!! Hope to see you but please holler if you see me

I'm so happy to have found this thread because it seems I'll be just a day behind many of you! I'm planning to leave from Porto on May 3, take the metro to Matosinhos, then walk along the coast to Vila do Conde. I'm trying to decide whether to cross over to the central route from there or continue on the coast one more day to Esposende and take the bus from Esposende to Barcelos. I'm a little concerned about the safety of crossing by foot from Vila do Conde to Rates because I've read some threads about the traffic/reckless drivers. (Anyone have a strong opinion on that?) Regardless, I hope to stay with Fernanda after leaving Barcelos and will be contacting her soon. This will be my first camino and I'm walking alone, so I hope to cross paths with some of you!
Nicola, if you can spare a couple of hours on your first day, consider walking along the river to Matosinos when you leave Porto, rather than taking the metro. It truly is one of the most beautiful walks on the Camino.

The walk out of Porto along the river and the Atlantic ocean to Matosinhos is a great walk .who told you that ?😏
This is a very old post from me, and at the time I was referring to the route out of the city along the highway. Have since discovered the stunning river walk to matasinhos which I highly recommend.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back